OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear DGN2200

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

does anyone try to install owrt on it ?

Informations :
FCC ID : PY309200112

Should I open it in order to try to identify important circuits?

Thanks

Skelz0r

Hello ,
anyone played with this device ,
any chance to run WIP firmware on it ?
avishay

sorry for my lateness, for anyone who gets finds this, the DGN2200 doesn't need WIP status because it works great in current trunk, the only issue, is getting it on there ... its not that hard, but you need to use the unpopulated serial port ( its marked as J5, on the lower right hand side of the board, between the wifi shielding and the capacitors, left to right its [-][tx][n/a][n/a][rx][+] ) ... its in a nightmare spot to solder aswell, so dodgey Australian method number 2 comes in handy, that is, get a 0.5 mm wide drill bit and drill out the solder filled holes for the pins ( from the underside! ) , as long as you only drill out the solder, you'll have no drama, 3 of the 4 of these that I possess did not need to be soldered to have a good stable serial connection .... having the pins a tiny bit off centre works out perfectly .... the router while in CFE will only respond to the IP it is expecting, and will ignore you if it has already noted an address for your mac, so you really need to setup the TFTP server on the default IP of 192.168.1.100, and then you can tftp the file to the router ( openwrt-96358VW-generic-squashfs-cfe.bin ), it should have no drama, and reboot .... the trunk image is not fully featured, but that leaves plenty of space for you to put the packages you want, over 4mb, and that's before you configure space on a USB stick .... youll need to setup IP settings so it can find internet access through the rest of your network, add the route / DNS, update opkg and start installing things .... once your at this point, you can close it up, because your probably never going to need to access that serial port again .... unless you decide to add connectors for external antennas or something .... if you use a snapshot, you want to install some crit packages before the kernel dependencies change, things like 'usb-core' and 'luci' ....

can you post some pics please?

UTI_BAIT wrote:

sorry for my lateness, for anyone who gets finds this, the DGN2200 doesn't need WIP status because it works great in current trunk, the only issue, is getting it on there.

This is very good news! What is the specific version of the DGN2200 you have had success with? There are at least 3 versions afaik.

Is all the hardware functioning? ADSL, Wireless etc?

The wiki hardware page for the DGN2200 shows the serial port pins.

(Last edited by dmcdonnell on 26 Oct 2013, 14:56)

I haven't tested the ADSL functions .... the units I have setup are all running as clients to other access points, using the b43 driver, for a stable connection, dump wpad-mini and install wpa-supplicant, the wireless signal could be better, so two of the three have had antenna upgrades ... they were all version one's .... a fourth one never worked when I got my hands on it, but the people they are setup for never tell me of any problems .... some wifi drop outs here and there but that's the territory .... once setup running an extroot from USB, their a fast / good / cheap unit

UTI_BAIT wrote:

I haven't tested the ADSL functions .... ...a fast / good / cheap unit

Thank you!

rossini wrote:

Can you respond to Rossini's earlier post, please?

If you have a look here -> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/mbrn3000

The board has the same layout as the DGN2200v1.

You can see the J5 unpopulated header between the capacitors and the metal casing with holes in it, as described by UTI_BAIT.

I'm guessing that the same version of Trunk will run on the MBRN3000 as well.

rossini wrote:

Here are a few photos of the Netgear DGN22000
All the silver heatsinks were added to it. The black heatsink came with it.

http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/ … 60copy.jpg
http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/ … 58copy.jpg
http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/ … 57copy.jpg
http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/ … 56copy.jpg

Is serial the only way to get the firmware on it or is there another way ?
If serial is the only way to get it on what will I need to get from ebay  so that I can put the firmware on it?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/dgn2200

UTI_BAIT wrote:

sorry for my lateness, for anyone who gets finds this, the DGN2200 doesn't need WIP status because it works great in current trunk, the only issue, is getting it on there ... its not that hard, but you need to use the unpopulated serial port ( its marked as J5, on the lower right hand side of the board, between the wifi shielding and the capacitors, left to right its [-][tx][n/a][n/a][rx][+] ) ... its in a nightmare spot to solder aswell, so dodgey Australian method number 2 comes in handy, that is, get a 0.5 mm wide drill bit and drill out the solder filled holes for the pins ( from the underside! ) , as long as you only drill out the solder, you'll have no drama, 3 of the 4 of these that I possess did not need to be soldered to have a good stable serial connection .... having the pins a tiny bit off centre works out perfectly .... the router while in CFE will only respond to the IP it is expecting, and will ignore you if it has already noted an address for your mac, so you really need to setup the TFTP server on the default IP of 192.168.1.100, and then you can tftp the file to the router ( openwrt-96358VW-generic-squashfs-cfe.bin ), it should have no drama, and reboot .... the trunk image is not fully featured, but that leaves plenty of space for you to put the packages you want, over 4mb, and that's before you configure space on a USB stick .... youll need to setup IP settings so it can find internet access through the rest of your network, add the route / DNS, update opkg and start installing things .... once your at this point, you can close it up, because your probably never going to need to access that serial port again .... unless you decide to add connectors for external antennas or something .... if you use a snapshot, you want to install some crit packages before the kernel dependencies change, things like 'usb-core' and 'luci' ....

I’m struggling with the installation of openWRT on my Netgear DGN2200 via TFTP upload from a Minicom cmd on a TTL interface using an Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit machine.

I followed the steps for flashing the owrt firmeware on the modem page. I also found more information on UTI_BAIT’s post on the forum.

The problem I’m having is to establish the coms between my computer via the USB to RS232/TTL converter and the modem. here’s where I’m upto;

- Almost certain that the board I have is a type 1 compared to the photos published by JonJongx on this forum

- Tested the USB converter in a loop setup. Connected the the RX to the TX of the dongle. Started the serial TTL emulator, in this case using Minicom and set a byte. The test is successful if Minicom returns the character you type in. —> It works

- Tested the USB RS232 to TTL converter with an Arduino DUE on Serial3 by following this tutorial with the difference that I set the Arduino sketch to initiate serial at 115200 8N1 and configure Minicom to the same. I could receive and send bytes with the Minicom/Arduino IDE serial to and from the Arduino DUE —> It works, one could state that I can read and write serial msg.

- Soldered wires to J5 serial pins 1(GRD),2(RX) and 5(TX) from left to right with the wifi casing on the bottom as per detailed in the VGN2200 openWRT page. Tested the connections with a volt meter. (Pin 6 is Vcc) The readings were the following. GRD/Vcc = 3,3v | GRD/TX = 3,3v | GRD/RX = 3,3v. —> Works, one could say the soldering is making proper contact.

- Connected the modem’s board to the USB converter, with respectively GRD USB to GRD board, TX USB to RX board, RX USB to TX board. Started the modem, waited. —> No-Work. no messages are printed by the serial interface while booting.

With a bit of Googling it seems some are giving the serial pins [-][tx][n/a][n/a][rx][+] and some are giving [-][rx][n/a][n/a][tx][+]

- Alternatively connected the board to the USB serial converter inverting RX and TX, respectively GRD USB to GRD board, TX usb to TX board, RX usb to RX board. —> No-Work. no messages are printed by the serial interface while booting.

I’m running out of ideas so hints, suggestions, comments, pizza, wine are very welcome.

Many Thanks,
alex

The discussion might have continued from here.