OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cant install my build of openWRT on MR3040 - invalid version?????

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I been working on a version of openwrt, everything been going fine until I bought another MR3040 router, then I tried to install a build on it.

I plug in the brand new router, put my browser on its upgrade page, then selected a binary from my own build which was was working on another router just the previous day.

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

Then the router says

Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

Anybody knows why?

Thanks
rough

There are two version of the mr3040, the v1 and v2
the difference on the case is that the v2 has a mode button and the v1 doesn't

in the trunk release the v2 gets build and in the current stable not yet.

FriedZombie,

Thanks so much for your response, yes I just noticed now that one has an extra switch on the side.

Just to fully understand.... are you saying  "there is no working version for V2 right now"?

I found this on the openwrt page for MR3040....

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3040

It says the V2 version has already been tested since January 2013.

Is this wrong?

If there is a version V2, how do I get it?

Or is there a way to get it working on V2 somehow?

I dont really care about the extra slide switch since I will NOT ever be using it.

Thanks
rough

Openwrt works on the mr3040v2, but not yet in the current stable release.
Only in the trunk release from revision R37964 and up

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Doesn't matter if you are going to use that button or not, you still require to use the firmware for the mr3040 v2
Of course it is also possible to build the firmware yourself. (but you have to recompile your build with a newer version)

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 21 Oct 2013, 01:24)

FriedZombies,

Thanks so much for your response.

I just tried to check out the latest using

svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/

But when I finally did "make menuconfig" It still only listed MR3040, it didnt have a selection for V1 or V2 as the target.

Do you know the steps to build MR3040 V2, (SVN to check it out from, and  how to configure the build for V2 etc).

Thanks
rough

just select the mr3040, it will both for the v1 and v2, so you can use the one you just downloaded/checked out smile

and glad I could help

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 21 Oct 2013, 01:43)

Thanks so much, you have no idea how much you just helped me, I was seriously doomed beyond belief.

Its building now, I hope it works.

Thanks again!!

rough

OP, I have got the factory.bin version 2 on my MR3040, using Putty for preparing to install piratebox on, I am getting multiple dependencies for things like kmod-usb-core , the simple reason is it has two fenel files types 3.10.13-1 and 3.10.15-1 thes are causing lots of errors

this is stopping me install piratebox.

my question is will the sysupgrade version 2 work ? and how is best to install it

the dependencies would still fail, because the packages are dependent on the kernel

The discussion might have continued from here.