OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT on TP-LINK TL-WA5210G

The content of this topic has been archived between 5 Apr 2018 and 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Any progress?

This one has such Reception Sensitivity as 54M: -76dBm VS  -68dBm for indoor ones.

Seems like I bricked my WA5210. While powering up (pressing reset button enables the ethernet interface) but no communication or reply to ping happen. Also serial console dosn't seems to respond. Has anyone have flash dump of wa5210 available ?

Baron3K wrote:

Seems like I bricked my WA5210. While powering up (pressing reset button enables the ethernet interface) but no communication or reply to ping happen. Also serial console dosn't seems to respond. Has anyone have flash dump of wa5210 available ?

You can reflash SPI flash WA5210G in Ubiquiti NS2 (file dump 4MB in program) http://flyrouter.net/downloads/software … /software/
or in original WA5210G http://gfile.ru/a1ZVB   (2MB file, but flash in 4MB chip, free space FF)

P.S. change MAC to your

Ok update on my topic. WA5210 is kind a bricked. Seems like MicroRedboot is working but it's not accessible.

printscreen
-------------
without reset button   - ethernet down
--------------------------
MicroRedBoot v1.4, (c) 2009 DD-WRT.COM (Dec 26 2012 REVISION Unversioned directory)
CPU Type: Atheros AR2315/6/7/8
CPU Clock: 184Mhz
Found Flash device SIZE=0x00400000 SECTORSIZE=0x00010000 FLASHBASE=0xBFC00000
Reset Button triggered
Booting Recovery RedBoot
MicroRedBoot v1.4, (c) 2009 DD-WRT.COM (Dec 26 2012 REVISION Unversioned directory)
Reset Button triggered
Booting Recovery RedBoot
reset button 5 seconds pushed, erasing nvram
nvram can and will not erased, since nvram was not detected on this device (maybe dd-wrt isnt installed)!

----------------------------------------

with reset button pressed during bootup   - ethernet up
----------------------------------------
Found FIS Directory on [0xBFFF0000]
no bootable image found, try default location 0xBFC10000
Booting Linux
data corrupted!
switching to recovery RedBoot

seems like redboot is working but somehow I can't tftp or ping the device.

any help would be appriciated. I would like to switch to org tp-link firmware if it's possible.

kind regards,

Baron3K wrote:

Ok update on my topic. WA5210 is kind a bricked. Seems like MicroRedboot is working but it's not accessible.

seems like redboot is working but somehow I can't tftp or ping the device.

any help would be appriciated. I would like to switch to org tp-link firmware if it's possible.

Microredboot and Redboot can not recovery Atheros eeprom part and MAC part of SPI flash. I use non-trivial method, but very hard and non-100%.

In your problem -
Resolder and reflash SPI chip to original TP-Link or NS2.  http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm

If you want dd-wrt or openwrt - then must reflash to NS2, then use xxx-wrt

Tp-link says it has dedicated PA & LNA chip,

the PA chip is Amplifier SE2576L

How about the LNA chip? what model? any picture?
Do these two chips need code to support or just hardware side of thing?

Hi peeps,

I have successfully loaded the russian modified ubnt firmware onto my device.

From there I have also successfully loaded openwrt onto the device.

However, openwrt is very slow, I get errors in Luci and cannot get the device to function as I wish.

Could peeps post what Openwrt firmware they are running ?

I have tried the latest attitude adjustment.

Only recently started playing around with this type of stuff.

If anybody requires any sort of output from this device to assist them, please let me know.

Cheers

OK, have a positive update!

I was using an image with the SquashFS file system.

Ive switched to JFFS2-64K and no more Luci errors so far !

:-)

mongoled wrote:

Nice! Is it possible to install OpenWrt directly without previously having Russian firmware loaded? If yes, please explain how.

valentt wrote:
mongoled wrote:

Nice! Is it possible to install OpenWrt directly without previously having Russian firmware loaded? If yes, please explain how.

No its not possible, you have to flash the Russian firmware first.

The best openwrt firmware to use is backfire 10.03.1.

Good luck!

mongoled wrote:

I have done the  same, first the ubnt russian firmware, then backfire 10.03.1. My question is, which jfss2 image did you select from the backfire download list ? I have tried "openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-pico2-jffs2-64k.bin " and the device does not flash the new image.

Also, i'd like to know if you upload the image using luci web gui or issuing a command into shh like sysupgrade or mtd.

Thanks in advance.

(Last edited by soyuz88 on 6 Apr 2014, 04:29)

On my tests:

I can not advise you any openwrt software because
after installing openwrt return back ONLY press a button on the device

Read forums for advise "how use ns2 additional functions",
ns2 firmware based on openwrt.
example /etc/persistent

I did not give you this:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/

whatever you do, you do at your own risk

work
8.09.2_kamikaze_openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-squashfs.bin

work without wifi
12.09_att_adj_openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-jffs2-64k.bin

slow down
12.09_att_adj_openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-squashfs.bin

NO PICO2 firmware!

------------------

After transformation Ubiquiti ID for WA5210G to C0A2 and patch for supoort GPIO LED and GPIO Antennas we can use all antennas.

Tests in progress

-----------------

Please report about our tests

(Last edited by unicorp99 on 9 Apr 2014, 12:21)

unicorp99 wrote:

On my tests:

I can not advise you any openwrt software because
after installing openwrt return back ONLY press a button on the device

Hello unicorp, thanks for the info. I do not understand this, return back only press a button, which one, the reset ?. thanks.

PD: I have backfire 10.3, a little bit slow on the GUI performance, no signal leds working but the wifi is really stable.

mongoled wrote:
valentt wrote:
mongoled wrote:

Good luck!

Could you link the package you have used succesfully ? I'm trying openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-pico2-squashfs.bin from http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … s/generic/ but no freespace to install coova-chilli or something else. Wifi and lan is working anyway ...

(Last edited by dikdust on 9 Apr 2014, 22:28)

dikdust wrote:
mongoled wrote:
valentt wrote:

Good luck!

Could you link the package you have used succesfully ? I'm trying openwrt-atheros-ubnt2-pico2-squashfs.bin from http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … s/generic/ but no freespace to install coova-chilli or something else. Wifi and lan is working anyway ...

Do not use attitude adjustment, it uses all the space. I use backfire 10.3 and it gives you a little bit of space

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … uashfs.bin

(Last edited by soyuz88 on 10 Apr 2014, 03:56)

Tolyan wrote:

20 byte header -
[0x00000000-0x00000004] - The length of the firmware without a title
[0x00000004-0x00000014] - checksum md5

Hello,

I downloaded the original tplink firmware.

the first 4 bytes are actually the lenght of the firmware stripping the first 20bytes.

I cannot recalculate the md5 hash. If I do md5sum of the firmware after stripping the first 20bytes a get a different number than the md5 that I can read in [0x00000004-0x00000014]

How you calculate the md5 in the header ?

thanks

Hello everybody. I have that router but cant get how to make it perfect with openwrt smile I flashed many router but this one not ordinary one it seems sad router's page not clear to understand so can someone write how to process 1 by 1 ? Thanks for any help

dnecro wrote:

Hello everybody. I have that router but cant get how to make it perfect with openwrt smile I flashed many router but this one not ordinary one it seems sad router's page not clear to understand so can someone write how to process 1 by 1 ? Thanks for any help

Google how to convert this router to Nanostation 2, there are guys from russia that you need to pay in order to get bootloaded unlocked and then you can install OpenWrt...

Or just watch this video I found on WIKI. Always first go and read the wiki smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKYM292TLI

(Last edited by valentt on 2 Jun 2014, 23:24)

Is WA5210G working stable with OpenWrt? What kind of speeds do you get?

valentt wrote:

Is WA5210G working stable with OpenWrt? What kind of speeds do you get?

Hi valentt.

Based on my own tests and comments from other forum participants, openwrt is stable if you use the JFFS2-64K image, but if you need to install something extra, different from the default packages, it can be a problem because there is not much space on the device after flashing JFFS2-64K image.

If you need space for something, you can use Openwrt Backfire .bin image, there are some luci issues and system freezings but still usable.

In order to use external antennas, there is a patch in the openwrt wiki, but I haven't tested it because the instructions are not clear.

Wifi perfomance is normal, 54mbps, nothing strange, normal browsing speed.

garmongoza wrote:

Hello! Someone has already flash tp-link tl-wa5210g?

yes.
I have done my TL Wa5210G
1st into nano station 2  then open WRT

SPI Flash full dump (original)

Firmware Version : 4.4.8 Build 130502 Rel.61441n
Hardware Version: WA5210G v1 081640EF

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

spi flash file
W25Q32BV_32M bit_4Mb_TL-WA5210G.bin

(Last edited by cepdoktoru on 14 Dec 2014, 22:57)

Hello,
I had a power failure during the installation process. Now my TPLINK TL-WA5210Gv1 is bricked but I can access (serial or telnet) a redboot :
RedBoot> version
RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [RAM]
Non-certified release, version (patched for dump flashing) - built 12:50:19, Dec 26 2012
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Red Hat, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2009 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Board: ap51
RAM: 0x80000000-0x81000000, [0x8002fab0-0x80fed000] available
FLASH: 0xbfc00000 - 0xbfff0000, 64 blocks of 0x00010000 bytes each.
RedBoot>

I have tried through TFTP dut I got a bad dump header error

I have tried throug redboot directly with fis init ; load ; fis create ; fis load and exec command) but the AP stay stuck when executing the image.

Can any one help ?

Thank you

The discussion might have continued from here.