OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WPA2-PSK rekey

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all

The doc says that the option "wpa_group_rekey" is only relevent for Entreprise WPA.
However, after having lost hours of experiments, I tryed setting this variable to 0 in the configuration, for my home network (WPA2-PSK).
It solved my problem immediately for my 2 devices (Sagem myradio 700) that lost the connection every several minutes, and that could lose it for minutes, and even forever (some blacklisting, probably) !  They definitely don't like the rekey... Actually, on the original TPLink firmware, the corresponding option ("Group Key Update Period") was set to 0 also.

I haven't checked the code to see the impact of this variable. But it definitely has an impact on PSK also.
I'd like therefore to move the line describing this option out of the Entreprise section, to the general section.

Your opinion on this ?

my2cents

Note : OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09 on TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1

Thanks, you saved me big_smile

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND v3, OpenWrt 15.05.1 and Samsung Tab A 7.0 2016, now wifi is stable!

(Last edited by Crazy on 23 Aug 2016, 21:00)

Thanks @olivm!
Hit the same problem with TP-Link TL-WDR3600, OpenWrt 15.05.1 and OrangePi Zero onboard WiFi XR819.
Those periodic disconnects almost drove me crazy with nothing more than a message in log "hostapd: IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request".
Your fix "wpa_group_rekey" worked like a charm.

Thanks olivm

I had the same problem

The discussion might have continued from here.