Re: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

andytara12 wrote:

Should be able to buy a V2 card here soon. Should be a drop in replacement for the V1.

http://www.compexshop.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=438

awesome! And when these arrive, we can drop them in, no extra firmware setup or driver installations? (on Archer C7)

If you're up for it, theyre available on Alibaba already

I saw that but the min 100 order put me off. I may ask for a sample.

129 (edited by qc 2013-09-25 01:58:20)

rondlh wrote:

@qc/Don
I can recommend to hook up a serial interface via a little hardware hack, it is quite easy to do and will give you great power over your router under most circumstances. Once you have the serial connection running you can execute the magic commands to flash another firmware. This is what I did on my Chinese WDR7500 (6 antenna version), and it is working very well.
Another option is to build a custom firmware that can be flashed from within the official firmware, but I can tell you that it is quite easy to lock yourself out and I found that recovery is not as easy as it sounds. Without a serial interface I would have been lost.

Thanks for the suggestion rondlh.

Best,
Don

hi all,

today i received my WDR7500 from China. followed this thread a long time.
i have no way to attach a serial cable to flash the OpenWRT image from Archer C7.

would to ask if any away available to flash the OpenWRT to this router without serial/jtag?

thanks in advance

Linksys WRT1900AC with McWrt 1.0.5
Netgear WNDR3700v4 with OpenWrt 42931

131 (edited by Ck-NoSFeRaTU 2014-03-31 16:59:23)

If someone interested there are I placed various files produced during recent experimentations with TL-WDR7500. Content:

- TL-WDR7500 stock firmware (and the one with bootloader).
- Last Archer C7 TP-Link firmware.
- Full mtd backups, printenvs and boot logs on Chinese stock and Last Archer C7 firmwares.
- OpenWRT Ram Image which can be loaded from u-boot to ram, booted and used for backuping original flash content or flashing to different firmware.
- OpenWRT firmwares for Archer C7 and TL-WDR7500
- Trivial TL-WDR7500 target support patch which used for openwrt images above.
- Small video demonstration/tutorial about how you can flash above images even without UART access.

Hint: It is possible to flash firmware through web-interfaces only when firmware is exact for that model, if you want convert TL-WDR7500->Archer C7 or vice versa you must use "mtd -r write image.bin firmware" command from openwrt image console.

PS. Provided AS IS without warranty of any kind. smile OpenWRT images obviously doesn't support qca9880v1 pci-e module (802.11ac wifi) and likely will never be except there is someone interested enough to port current ath10k driver to old ABI of chip firmware. Here are
extracted firmware blobs for qca9880v1 from last archer c7 firmware.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the clarity! This should be on OP! big_smile

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:

If someone interested there are I placed various files produced during recent experimentations with TL-WDR7500. Content:

- Full mtd backups, printenvs and boot logs on Chinese stock and Last Archer C7 firmwares.
- OpenWRT Ram Image which can be loaded from u-boot to ram, booted and used for backuping original flash content or flashing to different firmware.
- Small video demonstration/tutorial about how you can flash above images even without UART access.

Hint: It is possible to flash firmware through web-interfaces only when firmware is exact for that model, if you want convert TL-WDR7500->Archer C7 or vice versa you must use "mtd -r write image.bin firmware" command from openwrt image console.

PS. Provided AS IS without warranty of any kind. smile OpenWRT images obviously doesn't support qca9880v1 pci-e module (802.11ac wifi) and likely will never be except there is someone interested enough to port current ath10k driver to old ABI of chip firmware. Here are

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:

thank you very much, you are the hero smile
greetings from germany

Linksys WRT1900AC with McWrt 1.0.5
Netgear WNDR3700v4 with OpenWrt 42931

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:

Thank you very much, you made things much simple.

I have few questions as follow and asking for your help :

1.) I have the Chinese version WDR7500 and follow your steps in Youtube and I cannot just direct flash the OpenWRT firmware and I think the problem is my 7500 had flashed the beta firmware from customer support which is 3.13.34 Build 130820 Rel.38887n, and this version have been changed the boot loader so after this version, 7500 cannot be flashed or downgrade for older firmware like 130126 or previous beta firmware 130723, I uploaded both firmware (130723 and 130820) as follow

https://mega.co.nz/#!mUcVVQoD!aL24e1Y5zAYmbZZAs07VwVyTXSRLM2JBIzT-Y-797e4
https://mega.co.nz/#!6Y9XCA5a!KVekSBbAueq6QmaoyKzv3n75tAc0Hvq8tV9V1q-Z_UA

the reason for getting these beta firmware is the Hardware NAT for WDR7500 is under 300M speed with official stock firmware and we are using 1000M internet and both 130723 and 130820 beta firmware fixed this problem.  So can you help to modify this 130820 firmware to cut the boot loader?

2.) Understand the OpenWRT firmware may not enable Hardware NAT, anyone know the ARCHER C7 latest official firmware support this?  now my 130820 beta firmware hardware NAT can up to 8xxM.

3.) If I convert TL-WDR7500 -> ARCHER C7, after that, can I use the official fupdated firmware release by TP-Link? (i think the future update firmware still have boot loader, so can I just direct flash that?) or only can flash with modified firmware without boot loader?

Many many thanks for your help, really appreciated.
EChen

echen wrote:

1.) I have the Chinese version WDR7500 and follow your steps in Youtube and I cannot just direct flash the OpenWRT firmware and I think the problem is my 7500 had flashed the beta firmware from customer support which is 3.13.34 Build 130820 Rel.38887n, and this version have been changed the boot loader so after this version, 7500 cannot be flashed or downgrade for older firmware like 130126 or previous beta firmware 130723, I uploaded both firmware (130723 and 130820) as follow

[...]

the reason for getting these beta firmware is the Hardware NAT for WDR7500 is under 300M speed with official stock firmware and we are using 1000M internet and both 130723 and 130820 beta firmware fixed this problem.  So can you help to modify this 130820 firmware to cut the boot loader?

Here it is. But the main reason I think when looking on those firmwares that they move firmwares to V2 header version and now just denying flashing V1 header firmwares. Maybe there are additional checks. I will look at it when I have some time.

echen wrote:

2.) Understand the OpenWRT firmware may not enable Hardware NAT, anyone know the ARCHER C7 latest official firmware support this?  now my 130820 beta firmware hardware NAT can up to 8xxM.

Based on my initial testing it can, but only on raw IPoE connection. sad If your connection to ISP is pppoe/l2tp/pptp there are not much difference if hwnat activated or not, if there are any difference at all.

echen wrote:

3.) If I convert TL-WDR7500 -> ARCHER C7, after that, can I use the official fupdated firmware release by TP-Link? (i think the future update firmware still have boot loader, so can I just direct flash that?) or only can flash with modified firmware without boot loader?

It's basically the same hardware so I don't see a reason why you cannot. But I don't try to overwrite bootloader myself, and don't recommend doing this either!
Removing bootloader is easy procedure, just cut off first 0x20200 (131584) bytes from beginning of firmware. Why 131584? Because there are 512 bytes of header and 131072 bytes of bootloader. Actually ARCHERC7_v1_130729_up.bin is the official binary, just with removed bootloader. Main reasons for removing it:
- openwrt doesn't support flashing firmwares with bootloaders, only when you separate them and flash with different commands each.
- when you update your bootloader there is always a chance that something goes wrong and only recovery method is to unsolder flash chip and program it with spi programmer (I still don't check jtag condition on this board, but 1043nd for example doesn't have write access through jtag for some reason. So on this board they can screw up something as well).

136 (edited by echen 2013-10-05 13:48:34)

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
echen wrote:

[...]

Here it is. But the main reason I think when looking on those firmwares that they move firmwares to V2 header version and now just denying flashing V1 header firmwares. Maybe there are additional checks. I will look at it when I have some time.

echen wrote:

Based on my initial testing it can, but only on raw IPoE connection. sad If your connection to ISP is pppoe/l2tp/pptp there are not much difference if hwnat activated or not, if there are any difference at all.

echen wrote:

It's basically the same hardware so I don't see a reason why you cannot. But I don't try to overwrite bootloader myself, and don't recommend doing this either!
Removing bootloader is easy procedure, just cut off first 0x20200 (131584) bytes from beginning of firmware. Why 131584? Because there are 512 bytes of header and 131072 bytes of bootloader. Actually ARCHERC7_v1_130729_up.bin is the official binary, just with removed bootloader. Main reasons for removing it:
- openwrt doesn't support flashing firmwares with bootloaders, only when you separate them and flash with different commands each.
- when you update your bootloader there is always a chance that something goes wrong and only recovery method is to unsolder flash chip and program it with spi programmer (I still don't check jtag condition on this board, but 1043nd for example doesn't have write access through jtag for some reason. So on this board they can screw up something as well).

Thanks again for your help.

the firmware you just gave is the original 130820 and cut the boot, right?  can you also help to provide a openwork-squashfs-factory which can be flash from 0820?  sorry for my poor explanation.  Seems it check more than one things now.

137 (edited by Ck-NoSFeRaTU 2013-10-05 14:08:48)

echen wrote:

the firmware you just gave is the original 130820 and cut the boot, right?

Yes, it is 130820 fw you provided, just with removed bootloader by procedure described above. Thats what you ask for? Or I get you wrong? smile

echen wrote:

Can you also help to provide a openwork-squashfs-factory which can be flash from 0820?  sorry for my poor explanation.  Seems it check more than one things now.

As I said I will look into it when I have some free time. That shouldn't be difficult smile

138 (edited by echen 2013-10-05 14:17:37)

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
echen wrote:

the firmware you just gave is the original 130820 and cut the boot, right?

Yes, it is 130820 fw you provided, just with removed bootloader by procedure described above. Thats what you ask for? Or I get you wrong? smile

That's what I want, it can be revert to 130820 from openwork.

echen wrote:

Can you also help to provide a openwork-squashfs-factory which can be flash from 0820?  sorry for my poor explanation.  Seems it check more than one things now.

As I said I will look into it when I have some free time. That should not be difficult smile

Sure and thanks again, as we have a group of peoples who using 7500 and want to flash with OpenWRT but most of us didn't have much TTL works before so your openwrt-squashfs-factory make us more easier but many of us already flashed with 130820 so if you can provide us that should be very very helpful.

Also, our ISP connection is only DHCP that should be better for hwnat.

I had also tried my 7500 with 130820 downgrade with your modified 130723 (cut boot loader) but not success, it gave out 18005 error that file not compatible with the models etc.  Just for your reference.

Thanks again and really appreciated your help.

@Ck-NoSFeRaTU Thank you very much for that!

DIR-825.b2 @ 840MHz (16/128MB) : PC Engines Alix6e2 : WR703N (8/64MB) : MR11U (8/64MB) : WR512-3GN (128MB)

Ck-NoSFeRaTU

Thanks for the work, but can you please re-upload the files. I can't access them, because of error 404

141 (edited by Ck-NoSFeRaTU 2013-10-09 13:39:13)

echen wrote:
Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
echen wrote:

As I said I will look into it when I have some free time. That should not be difficult smile

Sure and thanks again, as we have a group of peoples who using 7500 and want to flash with OpenWRT but most of us didn't have much TTL works before so your openwrt-squashfs-factory make us more easier but many of us already flashed with 130820 so if you can provide us that should be very very helpful.

I looked at firmwares you provided. They changed firmware header to V2 and added sign with rsabase64 1024bit public key to structure. Now if language of board is CN, then this signature check performed. Thats also why you can't flash firmware with stripped bootloader.

To summarize the above, firmware image for flashing through webui of 130820 can't be made, because we don't have private key for signing firmwares. So if you have 130820 firmware then UART is the only solution. You can flash directly from bootloader or through loaded openwrt-ramimage which have mtdparser capable to parse v2 header.

andrew82 wrote:

Ck-NoSFeRaTU
Thanks for the work, but can you please re-upload the files. I can't access them, because of error 404

Some nets were denied as they are nests of spambots. There is no reason for this filter anymore so I disabled it completely. So the problem with unaccessible files must be solved.

142 (edited by echen 2013-10-09 14:22:26)

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:

I looked at firmwares you provided. They changed firmware header to V2 and added sign with rsabase64 1024bit public key to structure. Now if language of board is CN, then this signature check performed. Thats also why you can't flash firmware with stripped bootloader.

To summarize the above, firmware image for flashing through webui of 130820 can't be made, because we don't have private key for signing firmwares. So if you have 130820 firmware then UART is the only solution. You can flash directly from bootloader or through loaded openwrt-ramimage which have mtdparser capable to parse v2 header.

Thanks for your reply and taking your time.

Since I will use TTL to flash the firmware and just want to make sure the following steps because I only have experience before for 841N (I had solder the pins of 7500 and connected with TTL cable successfully)

1.  setup TFTP server with pc at IP:192.168.1.100, use lan cable from tftp server to router's wan (or lan ports is ok?)
2.  Once log into TPL and get ap135>
3.  set ipaddr 192.168.1.1
4.  set serverip 192.168.1.100
5.  tftp 0x80060000 openwrt-r38298-tl-wdr7500-v2-squashfs-factory.bin  (Can I use this flash from 130820 to  the OpenDRT? or flash to any other firmware with boot loader? or must without boot loader?)
6.  erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000 (are these starting and size address correct?  as the squashes firmware without boot loaders may size difference?)
7.  cp.b 8x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
8.  boot.m 0x9f020000

If everyrthing going ok, I can log into router by 192.168.1.1 with Openwrt.

Then I can use mtd from openwrt to flash with ARCHERC7_v1_130729_up.bin    to English C7 firmware or other firmware without boot loader ?  later on i must flash firmware from A7 130729 to otherw without boot loader? or using the above UART to others?

Can I use UART to flash stock firmware with boot loader like 130126 to overwrite and erase the public and private key?

Sorry for trouble you again and thanks again for your time.
EChen

143 (edited by Ck-NoSFeRaTU 2013-10-10 00:15:03)

echen wrote:

1.  setup TFTP server with pc at IP:192.168.1.100, use lan cable from tftp server to router's wan (or lan ports is ok?)
2.  Once log into TPL and get ap135>
3.  set ipaddr 192.168.1.1
4.  set serverip 192.168.1.100
5.  tftp 0x80060000 openwrt-r38298-tl-wdr7500-v2-squashfs-factory.bin  (Can I use this flash from 130820 to  the OpenDRT? or flash to any other firmware with boot loader? or must without boot loader?)
6.  erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000 (are these starting and size address correct?  as the squashes firmware without boot loaders may size difference?)
7.  cp.b 8x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
8.  boot.m 0x9f020000

1. Both ok, u-boot automatically choose one of them depends on link status.
2. On message "autobooting in 1 second" type tpl to enter u-boot command console.
3. Not necessary, default ip of u-boot is 192.168.1.111
4. Not necessary, default ip of tftp-server is 192.168.1.100
5. Command for loading image to memory is correct. You can flash any firmware here, even ARCHERC7_v1_130729_up.bin.  Only requirement is that image does NOT contain bootloader (8126464 bytes)
6. Command for erasing flash is correct one.
7. Command for copying image from memory to flash must be cp.b 0x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
8. Command for booting is bootm 0x9f020000

echen wrote:

If everything going ok, I can log into router by 192.168.1.1 with Openwrt

Yep, all openwrt/wdr7500's default ip is 192.168.1.1 and archer c7's is 192.168.0.1

echen wrote:

Then I can use mtd from openwrt to flash with ARCHERC7_v1_130729_up.bin    to English C7 firmware or other firmware without boot loader ?

Yep, or you can flash any firmware you want directly from bootloader without any transition steps as mentioned above. Actually bootloader commands above doing absolutely the same stuff as "mtd -r write image.bin firmware " command does.

echen wrote:

later on i must flash firmware from A7 130729 to otherw without boot loader? or using the above UART to others?

Basic rules for flashing are:
1) On oem firmware with webinterface you can flash any firmware, doesn't matter with bootloader it or not. But hardware model from current firmware must be equal to the hardware model in header of uploading one. Obviously, if image contains bootloader it will be updated as well. Firmwares like 130820 is a special case.

I just advise not update bootloader when it isn't necessary. But actually you can update it smile

2) On openwrt with luci webinterace you can flash firmware ONLY without bootloader and it must be equal to current hardware model.
3) With bootloader commands above or on openwrt with "mtd -r write image.bin firmware"  command you can flash any firmware, but ONLY without bootloader. As there are no checks, you can mistakenly write firmware with bootloader, if that happens you still can recover it with UART.

If you want to update bootloader then you can also do it from bootloader itself (issuing different commands and images of course) or on openwrt with "mtd -r write mtd0.bin u-boot" command(on openwrt u-boot partition is readonly by default, so you need a special firmware for this command to work). Image file must contain only bootloader and be 131072 bytes of length. It can be previously backuped mtd0 partition or extracted one from "_up_boot" oem firmwares that have size of 8258048 bytes and where it resides between two tp-link headers (from 512 to 131584).
If you want to flash extracted one (or perhabs mtd0 backup not from your device) then you need also to add some values at the end of bootloader (lets call it nvram section):
1) Offset 0x0001fc00: 6 bytes of you MAC-address
2) Offset 0x0001fd00: 4 bytes of hardware model and 4 bytes of hardware version. Archer C7 v1 model id is 0x7500001 and TL-WDR7500v2's is 0x75000002. Both have hardware revision 0x00000001 (sic!).
3) Offset 0x0001fe00: 8 bytes of your pincode, it will be used as default one for wps pincode and password for wifi.
Example for wdr7500v2 with mac BC:D1:77:FD:2D:40 and pincode 23434523:

0001fc00  bc d1 77 fd 2d 40 ff ff  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff  |..w.-@..........|
0001fd00  75 00 00 02 00 00 00 01  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff  |u...............|
0001fe00  32 33 34 33 34 35 32 33  ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff  |23434523........|
echen wrote:

Can I use UART to flash stock firmware with boot loader like 130126 to overwrite and erase the public and private key?

This protection is firmware related only, at least for now. So when you flash any another firmware you are done. smile All oem bootloaders for ArcherC7 or WDR7500 known to me are unlocked and you can flash any of them at any time and  flash any firmware from them also. But that can be changed in future, who knows.

PS. Bootloader from last Archer C7 firmware (130729) have additional recovery method. To activate just hold reset button and power on router, after some seconds it automatically start downloading file named ArcherC7v1_tp_recovery.bin from tftp-server on ip 192.168.1.66 from ip address 192.168.1.86. ArcherC7v1_tp_recovery.bin must be any archerc7 firmware  without bootloader, for example this one or this one.

144 (edited by andrew82 2013-10-09 17:54:19)

Thanks! I've downloaded and flashed my TL-WDR7500 v2 successfully.
Can you please compile a firmware with ATH_USER_REGD. I want to use channels 12 and 13 at 2.4Ghz band.
а то приходится пользоваться reghack

Many thanks Ck-NoSFeRaTU, much more understand now.

146 (edited by Ck-NoSFeRaTU 2013-10-10 00:15:29)

andrew82 wrote:

Can you please compile a firmware with ATH_USER_REGD. I want to use channels 12 and 13 at 2.4Ghz band.

openwrt-r38351 images here have ATH_USER_REGD enabled.

147 (edited by mtk 2013-10-10 01:17:23)

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
andrew82 wrote:

openwrt-r38351 images here have ATH_USER_REGD enabled.

Hi,how to make  ATH_USER_REGD enable?I can't find a clue in your patch? And what is tplink_fw_header_v2 for?To support 32m flash?

mtk wrote:

Hi,how to make  ATH_USER_REGD enable?I can't find a clue in your patch?

Wut? ATH_USER_REGD is a configure option, you can set it when buiiding from sources (make menuconfig). There are only compilled images on the link above. r38351 ones have that option enabled, r38298 doesn't.

mtk wrote:

And what is tplink_fw_header_v2 for?To support 32m flash?

It is needed to support tplink v2 header in firmwares like 130820.

149 (edited by mtk 2013-10-10 03:03:37)

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
mtk wrote:

Hi,how to make  ATH_USER_REGD enable?I can't find a clue in your patch?

Wut? ATH_USER_REGD is a configure option, you can set it when buiiding from sources (make menuconfig). There are only compilled images on the link above. r38351 ones have that option enabled, r38298 doesn't.

I found that no need to enable ATH_USER_REGD.Just change country code to CN or JP in wireless setting.Channel 12 & 13 can use.

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
mtk wrote:

And what is tplink_fw_header_v2 for?To support 32m flash?

It is needed to support tplink v2 header in firmwares like 130820.

What is 130820?

thanks again Ck-NoSFeRaTU, I flashed with C7 already, and also flashed with official stock firmware with boot for different version from TP-Link web by web update success.