OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Developing Support for NETGEAR WNDR4700

The content of this topic has been archived between 27 Apr 2018 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello.

I bought a new NETGEAR WNDR4700 and as far as I know it is supported in openwrt with Kamikaze version (r24169) kernel 2.6.32.11 and NAND is write protected (software). There are any plans to support this model for Attitude Adjustment 12.09 ?

OT: I am just curious where did you get your WNDR4700?

Thank you, but I can't access the link. Anyway, it is still way too expensive for me to get one. sad

And now the link works?
http://www.pixmania.pl/pl/pl/12875487/a … r4700.html
I managed to buy it a little cheaper than on the page. I needed a new and powerful router.
It is a pity that the price is still not affordable.

(Last edited by roland1414 on 6 Aug 2013, 10:36)

DarioX7 wrote:

I quite WNDR4700 wiki page, and may finish today
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr4700

Wow, the specs really look good! CPU clocked @1 GHz with 256MB RAM. This beast can host FreeSWITCH!.

U-boot which is the router has the ability to boot from a SATA drive. So when trying to create the firmware you would skip the NAND flash. What do you think, does anyone take the support for PowerPC? I've described it here. here

OK. I added tests for HDD, please tell me if something was not clear in the results, try to answer. Later I'll add tests for USB 3.0 .
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wnd … tester.1.4

(Last edited by DarioX7 on 3 Sep 2013, 12:49)

Hi,
Good info on those tests.
Are you running them with Kamikaze 8.09.2? or latest Netgear firmware?

I am using the latest version of the firmware Netgear. And Netgear modified versions of a Kamikaze so I will not tell you how much this version. It would be great if Netgear has released pathe for APM82181 modifying kernel and the rest of the drivers for USB 3.0 and SATA. Because I see that no one wants to take to make support for this router

I have question about target CPU in buildroot in make menuconfig OpenWRT Attitude Adjustment (r37952):

the AMCC/IBM PPC44x is the same as for ppc464 ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_400 wrote:

APM82181 – A 0.8–1 GHz 464-based SoC designed for storage devices. DDR2-controller, 256 KB SRAM configurable as L2 cache. PCIe, SATA2, USB2, Gbit Ethernet and various other I/O interfaces and accelerators like TCP/IP offloading, and RAID5 and cryptography accelerators

Moreover ppc44x is marked as "broken" so why is it so?

Has anyone tried something already done for this CPU?

(Last edited by DarioX7 on 2 Nov 2013, 13:10)

DarioX7 wrote:

Thats because it's actually broken and some devices that were supported in the past got abandoned, so the firmware for such targets isn't compiling or working anymore due to subsequent openwrt upgrades with no corresponding changes in those targets.

eximido wrote:
DarioX7 wrote:

Thats because it's actually broken and some devices that were supported in the past got abandoned, so the firmware for such targets isn't compiling or working anymore due to subsequent openwrt upgrades with no corresponding changes in those targets.

So no one will try to fix it? sad

you can try to compile your own image and boot from sata or network (nfs) because that seems to be supported by uboot

you should try to extract all information from NAND flash because it looks like you need to create a device tree file
and there is

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 00800040
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x800040

in the firmware - dont know how to create an image that incorporates that; the ramips target uses devicetree look there

because NAND flash is difficult too (see discussions on mailing list openwrt-devel) - maybe network/sata boot might be better for testing OpenWrt trunk

there are many people wanting to get support for their hardware ... developers dont ever have enough time or resources (hardware) to test all stuff that is asked of them

(Last edited by zloop on 14 Sep 2013, 21:17)

Now on Amazon goes for about $ 148 http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR4700- … s=WNDR4700

And if people are interested in this router is made to some a willing developer to clean ported to OpenWRT? Does this make sense? Something like "Crowdfunding"

I would crowdfund for open wrt or dd wrt support!
10$ of the bat.

krizzieboy wrote:

I would crowdfund for open wrt or dd wrt support!
10$ of the bat.

I would also donated $ 20 if a developer could declare to do full support for this router. I'm just asked if "crowdfund" it makes sense to move anything in this topic. And as you can see, next person which  is want such solution. Maybe there will be more people who would like to make a donation big_smile   but we need developers  who are familiar with PowerPC and NAND flash.

DarioX7: instead of continuously 'bumping' this thread to the front page, remember the old saying: "If you have an itch, scratch it."

Who is currently supported for PowerPC?

WDR4900 is using Freescale PowerPC P1014 CPU, for example. It is supported and working fine.
It is, however, mpc85xx target.

Overall the purpose of your question is unclear.

eximido wrote:

WDR4900 is using Freescale PowerPC P1014 CPU, for example. It is supported and working fine.
It is, however, mpc85xx target.

Overall the purpose of your question is unclear.

only PPC44x and later (PPC46x)