OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Vdsl2

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Apr 2018 and 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

you are right, that the dlsd is doing much more than the VDSL stuff. The only reason why I tried to do something on top of freetz was that I didn't want to brick my only box. It is easy to unload the AVM closed source modules and load other (own) modules for testing. If I was able to control the VDSL modem it should be possible to establish a VDSL connection with other standard linux tools. After that I would be brave enough to try to install openwrt on the box and get rit of the closed source AVM firmware. I am a little bit paranoid and I want to be able to have a firewall with connection tracking running on my box, which is impossible with the AVM VDSL modules because enabling connectin tracking in kernel makes the modules incompatible with the kernel. Since there seems to be no byable hardware with VDSL2 support I have to use the Fritz Box to handle the VDSL an connect a router supported by openwrt to one LAN port of the Fritz Box all other ports are unused (because I can not trust them, the firewall is on the openwrt router). This is not the best possible setup.

speedy734 wrote:

you are right, that the dlsd is doing much more than the VDSL stuff. It is easy to unload the AVM closed source modules and load other (own) modules for testing.

Aha, and which Linux kernel version does this firmware use? Do you have fun tinkering with that old kernel? Is there any point?

This should be done by somebody who has a VDSL2-modem-router at spare AFTER there are drivers available.

speedy734 wrote:

If I was able to control the VDSL modem

But we are not, since there are no drivers yet. When there will be, they probably are going to be written for a current Linux kernel.

speedy734 wrote:

Since there seems to be no byable hardware with (free) VDSL2 (Linux) support.

I dunno how good the Lantiq documentation for their VR9 chips is.
  (1) If you have the skills, the will and the spare time, you could take this and write drivers and put the code under GPL2, so it can be mainlined and adopted by any Linux distribution.
  (2) If you have the money, you can pay somebody to do it for you (AVM did this, and they kept it closed source and earn money with it) or for the cause

The fact the dsld is closed source does not make it evil. Could be, we don't know, since it is a blackbox. The fact the TR-069 includes much stuff completely unrelated to it's actual purpose, makes it look dangerous. And yes, a fully TR-069-compliant client allows for doing evil things on a piece of hardware, which is indeed owned by my ISP, but is inside of my home and is also meant to be the backbone of my home network.

The easiest solution is to NOT use this kind of stuff (black box + TR-069) as backbone for my home network. It only costs me the money for the additional current.

But yesss, GPLed VDSL2/DOCSIS/LTE drivers would be a nice to have.

Does the W8970 really support VDSL? The manufacturer tells only about ADSL2+.

speedy734 wrote:

Does the W8970 really support VDSL? The manufacturer tells only about ADSL2+.

The chipset used on the device supports it, but Tp-Link firmware does not.

alphablue52 wrote:

@zoot: I have a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1, branded by TTNET (Turkish Telekom).
Can you please give me a few hints how to get OpenWRT on that machine?

Due to branding it does not even accept regular firmware updates from Zyxel website (it has 3.10, and does not want 3.11), but I want make more use of this box!

Thank you!

Ar you still interested into loading original firmware?

asmartin,

I am interested in loading original firmware on my P-2812HNU-F1.
Although Zerg told me he thinks my device is broken.
I'm just waiting for my serial TTL converter.
Regards, DG.

DGDodo wrote:

asmartin,

I am interested in loading original firmware on my P-2812HNU-F1.
Although Zerg told me he thinks my device is broken.
I'm just waiting for my serial TTL converter.
Regards, DG.

Ok, have a look to other post at

ZyXEL P-2812HNU-F1 Debranding

But please, report results.

Regards

TL-W8970 works like a charm with VDSL2.
if you need Vlan for Wan try following settings ( M-net Germany, VDSL-50 )

config atm-bridge 'atm'
        option vpi '1'
        option vci '32'
        option encaps 'llc'
        option payload 'bridged'

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'ptm0.40'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option ipv6 '1'
        option macaddr ‘xx:xx:xx:xx:xx’
        option username 'user'
        option password 'passwd'

config interface 'wan6'
        option ifname '@wan'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'

config vdsl 'dsl'
        option annex 'b'
        option firmware '/lib/firmware/vdsl.bin'
        option tone 'bv'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'

The discussion might have continued from here.