OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: HW Mod: add RJ45 socket

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have several cheap devices which I plan to use as access points (usr5451 for example). These low-budget devices come with only ONE RJ45 socket LAN port. I  want to connect the AP to the network through the LAN socket and connect devices through the AP wifi.

My problem is, each AP must also provide one wired connection (to Dreambox sat receiver), which means I need two RJ45 sockets on each device.

Is such a mod possible? It would probably depend on the LAN controller chip used in each device. has anyone done such modding?

Thanks.

You can buy a 10/100 Mbps 5-port switch to connect to the USR5451 or look for an inexpensive new router.  Frankly speaking, I would rather do the later to save $$$.

Assuming that the SoC has spare unused ports; yes, that would be possible. However, you need a bit more than just a simple connector, wire, and solder. You need an Ethernet driver chip (basically a power amp); and if I remember right, a few capacitors.

You would most likely be better off grabbing some cheap $10 5-port switches.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833704026

V/r,
Conjur

The discussion might have continued from here.