OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Add an additional ethernet interface via USB.

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all. Has anyone been able to add an additional ethernet interface via USB (USB to ethernet converter)?

I have been looking around and didnt get any luck. If anyone has done this, please let me know what hardware you used.

My box is the TP-Link Wr703n

Thanks

If you read my post, you will notice I tried to turn a Seagate DockStar into a router. The post did not seem to generate any response. However, I was able to get some helps over the #openwrt-devel channel on IRC from Paul Fertser to make it to work. Then, I gave my Seagate DockStar away to a friend. Unfortunately, now it doesn't work and I don't know why. I have a copy of the /etc/config/network file as shown below. When I put it back to my Seagate DockStar unit, it also no longer works. Again, I have no idea why.

config interface 'loopback'
        option  ifname          'lo'
        option  proto           'static'
        option  ipaddr          '127.0.0.1'
        option  netmask         '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option  proto           'static'
        option  _orig_ifname    'eth1'
        option  _orig_bridge    'false'
        option  ifname          'eth1'
        option  ipaddr          '192.168.2.1'
        option  gateway         '192.168.2.1'
        option  netmask         '255.255.255.0'
        option  broadcast       '192.168.2.255'
        #option accept_ra       '0'

config globals 'globals'
        option  ula_prefix      'fd6d:4761:d790::/48'

config interface 'wan'
        option  _orig_ifname    '@wan'
        option  _orig_bridge    'false'
        option  proto           'dhcp'
        #option proto           'static'
        #option ipaddr          '192.168.1.250'
        option  ifname          'eth0'
        option  macaddr         '00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE'
        #option accept_ra       '0'

I hope you will be able to make use of it and update it here. BTW, you will need to install some additional software/kernel modules related to IPv4/6 to make it work.

(Last edited by mazilo on 15 Jul 2013, 12:26)

Hi Mazilo, thanks for the reply. Your post is not exactly what I want to achieve. I basically want to add an ethernet interface to my WR703n router via a USB (to ethernet convertor). I thought maybe someone had done this previously and could tell me which hardware is compatible with OpenWRT.....

Thanks

The discussion might have continued from here.