OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWrt Wiki – Maintenance

The content of this topic has been archived between 24 Apr 2018 and 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

OpenWrt Wiki – Maintenance

Articles needing attention:

Wiki page structure

Please do generally refer to (and DO NOT explain again):

Articles on Hardware

TODO I:

TODO II:

• modularize the articles, to keep the wiki more easily up-to-date; instead of the "let's just write an article"-mentality e.g. wired.3g or 3g but only on mr3220 and in spanish, etc.

• e.g. articles on the USB port are modularized USB overview and generally written

• any modification to uboot shall be put here: uboot primarily. Then we link to it from the device page this mod was developed on. IMO is more likely that other modders test it on other devices and again just link to it

• provide some context

• I would embed any howto into an OpenWrt>Linux>FOSS context and generally provide some overview, maybe a bit like: wireless overview instead of just a "naked" nodogsplash without explanations and of course also alternatives that compete over the better idea/implementation of a function

(Last edited by kirschwasser on 10 Jul 2013, 18:06)

rossini wrote:

please stop spamming the forum. i know you are trying to help, but spamming the forum won't help anyone. also don't just post everytime just a link in the wiki if someone ask a specific question. this is absolute useless. most people who managed to install openwrt on their device read the wiki and i think they know how to use a search.

thanks

I don't agree. Linking to the wiki is extremely useful. Also when people ask a question.
In fact, most of the time probably people have NOT read the wiki, eventhough the answer to the question is available there

That said, I do agree that we don't need 20 "OpenWrt Wiki – Maintenance" topics wink

There was a forum-software hickup when I posted those.

"most people who managed to install openwrt on their device read the wiki and i think they know how to use a search. "

1. Installing OpenWrt is easy a f*ck when the OEM didn't produce complete nonsense.
2. Most people who post in a forum, do not use any kind of search. Not google and even less the forum-search function. They use the link, the others simply ignore them. ;-)
3. Sometimes my post with links into the wiki are useless. Yes. See it as a way to offer more background information.

kirschwasser wrote:

There was a forum-software hickup when I posted those.

Yes and it happened to me, too. As a matter of fact, it just happened to this post when I replied (see quote below about error messages). However, I usually went back to delete the posts. And, you can, too, if you want to. Cheers.

Sorry! The page could not be loaded.

Unable to send e-mail.
Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message reported by the SMTP server: "535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure "

(Last edited by mazilo on 29 Jun 2013, 15:24)

?
That already happend when I posted at 15:10.

You can delete those multiple posts as you wish.

I'm getting that message when I try to do about anything...
e.g. when I try to change my email to the correct (current) address, I get

Unable to send e-mail.
Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message reported by the SMTP server: "535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure "

So when I browse the User list (up there between Index and Search) and filter by Administrators, I see only 1 site administrator... but when I try to send him a PM about it, the Catch22 officer from the department of redundancy department tells me

Unable to send e-mail.

:-(

(Last edited by Darr247 on 30 Jun 2013, 01:06)

@Forum admin: can we make this sticky and also remove the superfluous postings?

What about images uploading?, as default the location is the same for  all images even when you upload from totally different articles. The directory is growing and the previews makes it annoying specially for people with low bandwiths, uploading an image is becoming slower and they are all mixed. They should be in different directories.

Agree with danitool,
Have made 2 different HW pages, but both have different 'root' in the -i think, moreover,  good- GUI 4 uploading.
Only strange that anyone can delete / upload in every directory?
DG.

Any maintenance tonight? I can't seem to be able to load the wiki page.

Pleeease fix the wiki. I need it to continue progress to my thesis...

What pages are you looking for on the wiki? Lets find cashed pages from google.

I wish I had an offline copy of the wiki now. Har har.

Update: the google cached pages works fine. It seems their database is offline. Image links on the wiki page still functional.

(Last edited by idecable on 1 May 2014, 22:30)

Thank youu!!

Q: Why none of brands does not participate to Openwrt? Most of end users such like me doesnt uderstand source code, but i believe somebody from this forum does, for me its better than branded firmware. They wants to put "their' backdoors to firmware , not 'ours' , whats the point? Openwrt could develop much faster than now.
Q: How dd-wrt got support from broadcom corp (they got source code) and made a deal with Buffalo?
Q: When luci2 will be in beta stage, for tests? and as "Squonk" said ( https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 09#p231009 )  its completly different (based on javascript). - should have different name
I found only 1 screenshot how it looks like https://twitter.com/rundfreifunk/status … 8728901632 , no more info to this day.

(Last edited by eram2a on 18 Jun 2014, 16:12)

eram2a wrote:

Q: Why none of brands does not participate to Openwrt? Most of end users such like me doesnt uderstand source code, but i believe somebody from this forum does, for me its better than branded firmware. They wants to put "their' backdoors to firmware , not 'ours' , whats the point? Openwrt could develop much faster than now.
Q: How dd-wrt got support from broadcom corp (they got source code) and made a deal with Buffalo?
Q: When luci2 will be in beta stage, for tests? and as "Squonk" said ( https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 09#p231009 )  its completly different (based on javascript). - should have different name
I found only 1 screenshot how it looks like https://twitter.com/rundfreifunk/status … 8728901632 , no more info to this day.

Q1: No ressources ? TP-Link for example seems to not employ that many software guys - mainly sales and support jobs are advertised. Many companies are not actively pushing changes upstream - maybe they fear that changes could be adopted by their competitors?

Q2: Probably by signing a NDA. Maybe some agreements if they violate the NDA by publishing free drivers themselves or even providing information about the implementation

Q3: see http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/luci2
You can add luci2 to feeds and simply build your own image with luci2.

Was there any change or recovery in wiki? I made some adjustments in how do's for Attitude adjustment but those are not existing any more. Not even in revision log.

silverk wrote:

Was there any change or recovery in wiki? I made some adjustments in how do's for Attitude adjustment but those are not existing any more. Not even in revision log.

See here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=54284

Is it on purpose that there are no link to the page OpenWrt Failsafe on the HowTo page?
If it is a mistake, would it be alright for me to add it or how does it work in here?

MrBW wrote:

Is it on purpose that there are no link to the page OpenWrt Failsafe on the HowTo page?
If it is a mistake, would it be alright for me to add it or how does it work in here?

Done, added OpenWrt Failsafe to the HowTo page.

DGDodo wrote:

Agree with danitool,
Have made 2 different HW pages, but both have different 'root' in the -i think, moreover,  good- GUI 4 uploading.
Only strange that anyone can delete / upload in every directory?
DG.

Can u help me about my topic pls? https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=60862

Minimizing FIXMEs in the OpenWrt wiki

We currently have 315 (!) pages in the OpenWrt wiki that contain FIXMEs.
Fixmes are a sign that some information is missing. You can contribute to the wiki by adding the missing information. After the job is done, don't forget to remove the FIXME.

For easier finding of pages that contain FIXMEs, I created a new search page:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/wiki/maintenan … ith_fixmes

We have two big namespaces to work on:

• howto

• toh

Plenty of work to do. Your help is appreciated!
Have fun! ;-)

Confirmation missing, that OpenWrt is working on several devices

We currently have 72 devices in the Table of Hardware, that are showing promising signs of OpenWrt support like "changeset available" or even "firmware download link available". However, confirmation that OpenWrt is really working on these devices is still missing (-> no entry in columns "Supported Since Rel" and "Supported Current Rel").

How you can help to improve the data

Go to https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_admin_wip2 and check if you can deliver any of the below information:

• What is unsupported (e.g. WLAN, ADSL, …)? → update "Unsupported" column

• Do you own one of the devices shown below and can you confirm that it is working with OpenWrt version xyz? → update "Supported Since Rel", "Supported Current Rel column"

• Is there an image available, but we don't know of it? → update "Firmware OpenWrt Install URL", "Firmware OpenWrt Upgrade URL" column

• Is there a devicepage available, but we don't know of it? → update "Device Page" column

Editing the dataentries

To edit the dataentry of a device, click on the "View/Edit data" at the very end of the devices table row.
On the following page, clicking the LEFT edit button below the data will lead you to an editing form.

Do your changes, and before saving them, provide a short description of your change and possibly your datasource (e.g. "Supported current rel = 15.05, confirmed by own experience with this device and this OpenWrt version") in the summary field, which should be near the "Save/Preview/Cancel" buttons of the editor.

Your help in improving the OpenWrt wiki is greatly appreciated!
Have fun! ;-)

(Last edited by tmo26 on 3 Jan 2016, 22:29)