OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Using serial from TL-WR1043ND

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I have successfully installed a COM interface on my TL-WR1043ND. I am sure it is working since I can see the router booting and I can enter and use the serial console, so no problem here.
Now I want to use the COM interface for a smartmouse reader (with a COM interface, no USB). I previously used this exact smartmouse with a program, now ported on OpenWrt with the same exact configuration.
For some reason it does not work, maybe do I need some particular kernel module to use the COM from the router?
I also checked the COM settings with "stty < /dev/ttyS0", which returns the same exact output of my PC.

Thanks in advance

(Last edited by liquidator87 on 17 May 2013, 20:37)

Thanks for the hint... I deleted the mentioned line in inittab, but nothing seems to change...

Then the kernel is still using that serial port for its log-messages. You could install minicom and run a test with it (while causing events that appear in the log, like connecting usb devices).

Yeah it seems so... In fact, I can still see the log while the router is booting, but now I can't enter the serial console...

I would like to build an image without the logging of the kernel. My guess is:

- use the ImageBuilder
- edit the line of my router profile (tl-wr1043nd) from

$(eval $(call SingleProfile,TPLINK,$(fs_64kraw),TLWR1043,tl-wr1043nd-v1,TL-WR1043ND,ttyS0,115200,0x10430001,1,8M))

to

$(eval $(call SingleProfile,TPLINK,$(fs_64kraw),TLWR1043,tl-wr1043nd-v1,TL-WR1043ND,,,0x10430001,1,8M))

After the sysupgrade I can still see the log of the kernel (booting and events), so it has not been disabled...

(Last edited by liquidator87 on 18 May 2013, 12:32)

I am totally unexperienced with the Imagebuilder, but from what I understand, it just repacks ready-built packages into a new image. So, I am not sure if it touches the kernel. And there is still the kernel command line of uboot, which I don't know if it is respected or ignored by the kernel, but it would be worth a try to change it.

Yes, also with those options in /etc/config/system I am able to see the router booting via serial console... I guess I need to rebuild the kernel...

I've recompiled the kernel without these two options:
- "Console on 8250/16550 and compatible serial port"
- "Console on AR933X serial port"

Removed "console=/dev/ttyS0,115200" from the kernel command line, commented the line in /etc/inittab and modified the log levels in /etc/config/system as suggested. Now I can see the Uboot log but not the kernel log.

However, the problem is still there, I'm unable to use the COM port with my program. Also tried with microcom and says "/dev/ttyS0 not responding", is it normal?

(Last edited by liquidator87 on 19 May 2013, 18:36)

The discussion might have continued from here.