OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRTSL54GS

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2015 and 21 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

(this model hasn't been previously mentioned on the forum, so I've started a new thread for it)

Browsing Linksys' site, I've noticed that they have recently made the official firmware for the WRTSL54GS available for download.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit … inary=true

Good news, this contains a Linux system.

dd if=WRTSL54GS_2.00.0_US_code.bin bs=60 skip=1 of=fw_tmp
dd if=fw_tmp bs=1232221 count=1 of=kernel.gz
dd if=fw_tmp bs=1232220 skip=1 of=squashfs
file kernel.gz
file squashfs

results:
kernel.gz: gzip compressed data, was "piggy", from Unix, max compression
squashfs: Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 2.0, 5634537 bytes, 481 inodes, blocksize: 65536 bytes, created: Tue Oct 25 19:34:50 2005

(off: I'm currently trying to recompile my kernel with squashfs support, so it would be useful if someone could verify that)

notes:
1. the gpl code is not published yet (however, the user's manual and a Windows®™ setup wizard is already up)
2. the product is not yet available in the stores

As the product name and code implies, this sounds like an upgrade of WRT54GS. Does this mean that porting to this new platform will be "quite easy"? Roughly how long should it take? (I do know that this is #1 question in the faq, but since this model isn't mentioned in the TOH, I took the courage to ask it :))

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that model yet.

My guess is that this is just the WRT54G platform with a USB port -- I'll try to confirm this later.

There is an article on toms hardware. It seems like a compact WRT54GS with USB port and 16MB of flash!!! still 32MB of ram but the increased flash and USB will probably make that worth it.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections- … -page1.php

How did they conclude that it offered 16MByte flash? If _one_ 28F640 ist present then it has 8MByte...

Linksys has removed the link to this product from the product listing. Maybe they have changed their mind whether they are going to make it available now, or simply they would like to change something.

However, the archived link in my browser's history still works, so here it is:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit … torWrapper

WRTSL54GS is now listed in 'coming soon': http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit … torWrapper
Though, the gpl code is still not online and there's no official note on when the product will be available.
Note that the downloadable binaries are the same as before.

Btw, is 8mb the correct flash size then? Is it likely that the external storage (usb stick or hdd) can extend the storage for packages or do I fail to understand something? :)
(The linux philosophy tells me this must be possible and this could be a great advantage in contrast to the official firmware where it can only store 'data').

Also, does the fact that it hosts linux 'guarantee' that it will be suitable for OpenWrt or have there been some pitfalls in similar cases?

(Edit: the second paragraph wasn't very comprehensible at first)

(Last edited by htamas on 9 Jan 2006, 16:10)

This pulled from the Linksys Press Release Page:

New Products From Linksys Address Hot Networking Trends

Products unveiled at International CES 2006 include Wireless-G Audio Bridge, Wireless-G Compact Internet Camera, and Wireless-G Broadband Router with Network Attached Storage Functionality

LAS VEGAS - JANUARY 4, 2006 - Today at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show, Linksys®, a Division of Cisco Systems, Inc., the recognized leading provider of voice, wireless and networking hardware for the consumer, Small Office/Home Office (SOHO) and small business customer, debuted three products that address some of the hottest trends in networking: streaming audio, network storage and security.

“Networking trends are driven by the capability of emerging technologies,” said Mani Dhillon, director, product marketing, Linksys. “The landscape of the market clearly shows that network storage, security, and streaming audio are key topics of interest for consumers and the products we are announcing this week address these areas.”

Streaming Audio
In a recent survey conducted by research firm In-Stat, more than sixty percent of respondents expressed that they were at least somewhat interested in connecting their PC to a stereo system to listen to digital audio files . The Wireless-G Music Bridge (WMB54G) enables these respondents to wirelessly transfer PC audio output to a stereo or other speaker system located anywhere within the home.

A key differentiator of the Linksys Wireless-G Music Bridge is that users are not tied to using a particular music service to move music around their homes. Any sound that can be played by the existing speakers on a PC can be wirelessly streamed using the WMB54G. The product works as a virtual sound card that connects to a stereo or speaker system via traditional audio cables or optical digital connectors to maximize the ability of existing surround sound equipment.

Networked Storage
Research firm Parks Associates predicts that the number of U.S. households with a networked storage device will grow from 300,000 at the end of 2004 to nearly 10 million by 2010. To address this growing desire for networked storage capabilities, Linksys is introducing the Wireless-G Media Storage Link Router with Speed Booster (WRTSL54GS).

As an all-in-one Internet-sharing router, Wireless-G access point, and Network Storage Link, the WRT54SLGS enables users to connect USB disk drives directly to their network. SecureEasySetup functionality on the Wireless-G Media Storage Link Router makes creating a secure home network with networked attached storage push-button simple, and a built-in media server streams music, video, and photos located on a USB-attached storage device to any Universal Plug and Play-(UPnP) compatible media adapter. Storage devices attached to the WRTSL54GS can also be setup to be available publicly for download via a web browser or via password-protected accounts for authorized users.

Security
Security via surveillance is a key factor in driving the sales of network cameras that research firm In-Stat says will exceed those of analog cameras by 2007. The Linksys Compact Wireless-G Internet Video Camera (WVC54GC) wirelessly connects to a home or small office network and distributes a live video stream through the Internet to a web browser accessible on virtually any Windows-based PC, enabling users to easily monitor their most important assets.

Its unique form factor and wireless connectivity provide the flexibility to mount the WVC54GC on even the most remote wall or simply slip it into the included desktop stand for more local monitoring. An easy-to-remember name can be assigned to the WVC54GC through the SoloLink™ domain service from Linksys to ease the process of accessing recorded content. When its security mode is activated, the WVC54GC will send email alerts with video clips to up to three email addresses upon detecting motion within its field of view.

Pricing and Availability
Both the WRTSL54GS and WVC54GC are available now through Linksys e-commerce, retail, direct response, and VAR partners at estimated street prices (ESP) of $129.99. The WMB54G is available from e-commerce and direct response at an ESP of $99.99.

About Linksys
Founded in 1988, Linksys, a Division of Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the recognized leader in Voice, Wireless and Ethernet networking hardware for consumer, SOHO and small business users. Linksys is dedicated to making networking easy and affordable for its customers, offering innovative, award-winning products that seamlessly integrate with a variety of devices and applications. Linksys provides award-winning product support to its customers. For more information, visit www.linksys.com.

Note: Reference to speeds and performance are based on standards and specifications. Actual performance may vary based on environmental considerations and network configurations.

# # #

Linksys is a registered trademark or trademark of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. Other brands and products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. Copyright © 2006 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

Yay!

I am very interested in this device.  I will see if local Fry's has one yet....

Wow.
This looks interesting. Maybe a nice alternative to the WRT54G.

But not yet available in germany.

I have been making some progress with the device. Lot of info in thread at LinksysInfo:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php? … 4825#54825

Is anyone else fiddling with this device or interested in it? I could use some help particularly from
those more familiar with the hardware end of things.

Well, I don't have such a device, but I can try to create an image for You to try on it. But no warranties, maybe it will brick it, but IMHO it should work.

Thanks Kaloz. Would this essentially be the generic brcom trx file with the header for an SL?

My lingering question is that I don't know if this BCM5325F ethernet switch chip  is sufficiently like the 5325E noted in OpenWRT source. I've been digging for information on the BCM5325F and not finding much about it so far. Indications in Linksys source that QoS and maybe ports are setup differently, an eth2 pops up in code several places.

If I brick it, would it still be usable by dev team as a donation?

(Last edited by vincentfox on 2 Feb 2006, 01:29)

Well, mostly. I need to check the image of the SL. Theoritically the switch chip (the 5325) should just work out of the box, IMHO You should not worry that much about that.
If You brick it, we always happy to accept donations to get as many routers supported as we can. Well, even if it works wink

Drop me an email address in private, as I don't want to put the image up somewhere as long as it's not confirmed working.

Success!

big_smile

(Last edited by vincentfox on 2 Feb 2006, 18:42)

Excellent! Did you need to do any special maneuvres to make it work?

Just an image wink BTW, please note that without checking the reset button's gpio and diversity, there is no failsafe mode, yet.

Quick table of GPIO functions:

GPIO pin
0 DMZ (disable=on,enable=off)
1 power (disable=blink,enable=on)
2 ?
3 ?
4 SES button (00=pressed,01=not pressed)
5 SES white LED (disable=on, enable=off)
6 reset button (00=pressed,01=not pressed)
7 SES orange LED (disable=on,enable=off)
8 ?
9 ?

Okay, be prepared to test a new image today (but first it's time to sleep, it's 1:20am here).

I did a quick test of USB storage:

ipkg install kmod-usb-ohci
ipkg install kmod-usb-storage
ipkg install kmod-vfat

Rebooted and it auto-mounted my 1-gig flash-drive just fine.

SL hack for today:

SL unit + Nokia 6230 + USB data-cable + kmod-usb-serial + PPP chat scripts = mobile WiFi router

Yes the ping times are horrid for interactive work, but it has some applications!

Kaloz has posted test firmware:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/2006-02-06/

Usual precautions apply. You are taking usual risk of bricking. No documented JTAG procedures at this time.

DMZ LED does not light during boot. Timing use of reset button to reach failsafe mode will be trial and error. You will know you are in failsafe when the SES button is flashing.

Enjoy!  big_smile

(Last edited by vincentfox on 5 Feb 2006, 22:31)

humm i cannot log into telnet at all with openwrt..

Steps I took..
1. download openwrt-wrtsl54gs-squashfs.bin
2. rename it to openwrt.bin
3. in cmd, type: "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put openwrt.bin
4. start->run type "telnet 192.168.1.1"
5. connecting to 192.168.1.1...... and times out..

Any idea what's wrong with it?

Wait until the SES led turns off. Formating 8MB flash takes a while.

So I guess my steps aren't wrong then?
Some questions..

1.does my DMZ LED suppose to light up? Because mine doens't..
2.i waited until the SES led turned off....still no response from the router.. any other possible issues?

Sorry, posts 26 to 25 are missing from our archive.