OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Firmware for D-Link DIR-615 D4

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello, I have a D-Link DIR-615 D4 and I would like to install the newest OpenWrt firmware...

On http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615 is: D3/D4 | trunk | Mostly working. Requires manual build.

What does Requires manual build means?

What should I do for working DIR-615 D4 with OpenWrt firmware?

Thank you.

Hey there,

I got this working, what you need to do is download the 12.09 (final?) AA build from http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … ps/rt305x/ or you could go for the bleeding edge at
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ramips/

Choose the "factory.bin" version for your first flash (e.g, openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-615-d-squashfs-factory.bin version )
when you flash in the future you can choose the upgrade.bin

Go to your DLink Router, take the power plug out, and put  & hold a pin/paperclip into the reset button.
Put power on (keeping the paper clip in)
and the front light should start flashing orange in a couple of seconds.

At this point the router is in failsafe, emergency mode

On your PC (macs are similar though), set your IP Address to 192.168.0.10, subnet 255.255.255.0
From a browser (i used chrome and it worked fine, but I hear IE might be better), navigate to 192.168.0.1
This takes you to the "emergency room - flash loader)" website. At this point you can provide the factory.bin and voila flash away..

Leave it 5mins or so.. When the flashing is done the router will reboot and the lights will flash green. At this point reconfigure your PC to use DHCP and then navigate to 192.168.1.1 to access openwrt.

Should all work fine.. best of all the D-series are pretty much unbrickable as the emergency room bootloader is in rom (or something similar) not flash . .awesome

Let me know if this works for you

This worked, many thanks asantaga.

At first I was like "meh?" cause chromium was just sitting there doing nothing being stuck at "Uploading (0%)" and timing out eventually after like 20 minutes or so.

But then I changed to iceweasel and all went fine.

Router is now running some real software :-)

excellent.. apparently the dlink has a problem with "modern" browsers.. but for me chrome worked fine on windows,  but not on mac.. strange

glad you got it installed and working.

I followed asantaga s instruction and it worked - no problems.
The part about an "emergency room" on the router is really cool and much easier than the tftp stuff I have been doing elsewhere.

I am trying to make the router connect to another wireless network, but it doesn't work - I am able to get wireless working as an ordinary access point, but not as client.

I try to "scan" in luci, but it finds nothing and on the command line in telnet "iw dev wlan0 scan" is empty also.
Have you tried and suceeded in this?
Could someone try this on the router - it should be a benign operation :-)

Any suggestion on what to test?

(next step is to recompile using bleeing edge...)

Hey Moozer

Are you trying to make it into a bridge? ie connect to one wireless network and transmit it to another??? if so then no can do, I think its a hardware issue.

What you can do is make it into a repeater, with the same SSID name.... I got that working (I think).. I'll look for instructions when I get back...

I wanted to do a WDS bridge - I have done that before - but it requires that I control both ends.
I would like to have a bridge - the solution where we are simply routing between subnets are not good for my purposes.

So I want to try relayd: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
It seems to do the trick also.

Ok, some progress

The wireless works as intended without me doing anything extra. The routers antenna is apparently weaker than the one on my laptop and the walls are very thick. So moving to another room did the trick.
In conclusion - the standard attitude adjustment binaries works out of the box.

In order to get the bridge working, I want to do multiple wireless networks on the device, but when I activate one wireless network, the other deactivates. Is the device able to handle multiple wireless networks? do you have suggestions on what I should search for?

tried this method to load 12.09 release. Has about 10Mbyte free after install and a couple of hours idling.

The most obvious problem I can see is that all the interfaces have the fake MAC address of 00:11:22:33:44:55

I've found where the real MAC is - it's at offset 4004 hex in /dev/mtdblock1 as

4004 F0
4005 7D
4006 68
4007 xx
4008 yy
4009 zz

Who do I tell about this, or check to see if this has been fixed in a later version ?

I looked in trunk, but there is no specific build for this device, or any ramips device with an rt305x bridge either :-(

Is there a guide for a complete beginner to openwrt to build the correct device profile for DIR-615 D4 for a successful compile ?

hey, guys, what should i do if i want compile the bin myself?
there is no model specified for DIR-615 in the menuconfig!

wangyi163taba wrote:

Target ralink
rt288x
Subtarget rt 503x
Default profile

(Last edited by alecs-art on 14 Nov 2013, 04:23)

alecs-art wrote:
wangyi163taba wrote:

Target ralink
rt288x
Subtarget rt 503x
Default profile

ok, i think i will have a try.

thank you very much

alecs-art wrote:
wangyi163taba wrote:

Target ralink
rt288x
Subtarget rt 503x
Default profile

sorry to tell you in the newest menuconfig, there is no subtarget  rt503x, only rt288x,
then should i chose this and using the default profile???

thank you

Hello to all of you
I am facing a problem pl help me
I am using link dir 615 D4. I had upgraded it to dd-wrt v24-sp2, on this firmware it is not connecting to my PPTP server
so I want to get back to its orignal firmware , i have tried it but its is not upgrading to it latest firmware.
pl help me

fahadsultan1 wrote:

Hello to all of you
I am facing a problem pl help me
I am using link dir 615 D4. I had upgraded it to dd-wrt v24-sp2, on this firmware it is not connecting to my PPTP server
so I want to get back to its orignal firmware , i have tried it but its is not upgrading to it latest firmware.
pl help me

I would try the dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin downloadable from: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer … k-dir615d/

Other then that, I would ask on the dd-wrt forum: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

I have tried it but its not working
any other suggestion ?

refried,

It seems I cannot send you a PM or email so I am necroposting here as it might help other users of DIR-615 D4.

Do you happen to have a prebuilt image for the DIR-615 D4 ?

Or can we use this file here : openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-615-d-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

If I want to upgrade from DD-WRT, which image should I use ? The factory or the sysupgrade image ?

Many thanks !

(Last edited by bulanula on 9 Jan 2015, 23:21)

moozer wrote:

Ok, some progress

The wireless works as intended without me doing anything extra. The routers antenna is apparently weaker than the one on my laptop and the walls are very thick. So moving to another room did the trick.
In conclusion - the standard attitude adjustment binaries works out of the box.

In order to get the bridge working, I want to do multiple wireless networks on the device, but when I activate one wireless network, the other deactivates. Is the device able to handle multiple wireless networks? do you have suggestions on what I should search for?

Hi Moozer,

Did you get this working?

The discussion might have continued from here.