OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Simple hack adding an Atmel ATmega 328p to a 54G

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I saw the Rasberry Pi, and I was inspired to create what I am dubbing the "Strawberry Tampon".

Basically, I am going to take an Atmega 328p and connect the serial interface on it to the serial interface built in on the 54G.

Does anyone see any issues with this?  Am I going to need to disable the default console function on the serial port on JP1 (I have an old V2), so I can use the serial port as a general io device to communicate with the 328p?

I see people getting all hot and excited over an embedded linux computer talking to external outputs, and I thought...  Doing something similar with a 54G should be doable, and possibly even easy.

As far as why I am throwing a microcontroller onto the 54G...  The real answer is, "why not?"

I tend to look at problems and look at doorstops I already own, or can pick up from Goodwill or a garage sale for $1-$5.

In this case, it is my old router, and rather than sit and collect dust, using it as an embedded linux box with built in wireless access and easy software access to control the 328p, it just seems like a match made in heaven.

If this has already been done, please forgive my duplicate post, and point my dumbass in the appropriate direction, and I will gratefully absorb the goodness you have to share.

Thanks.

DogNo7 / Kurt O

Cool.  Thanks for the link.  Thinking about what he did, vs what I have, I am going to use the second serial port (since it is there), and leave the first serial port as a console port.

I've already managed to get the router going in circles.  Don't know what I did.  It isn't a big deal.  I have recovered these things before, and if I am really in a pinch, I will use the JTAG interface to recover the poor beast.

Thanks again for the quick response and the appropriate info.

DogNo7

The discussion might have continued from here.