Hi guys,

New to OpenWRT.

Hardware: RT3052F Ralink SoC, SierraWireless (direct ip driver)

I've been using the Ralink SDK for a few months but ran into issues with the USB driver that ships with the 2.6.21 kernel (once 3G link is up can't continue communicating AT commands to the modem, seems like the dwg_otc driver is really crap Rasberry Pi guys ran into the same problems).  Anyway, it appears to work with the 3.x kernel in the latest OpenWRT attitude adjustment distro.

My real question is the following:  We're using the WAN link, with 3G as failover.  The twist however is that we have some custom hardware that allows us to switch between 2 SIM cards wired up to the 3G modem.  So basically the 3G has failover as well.  To switch between SIMS I send an AT command to the modem to change one of the DIOs and then reboot the modem.

I'd like to know what is the best suggested route to get this functionality customized into OpenWRT.  There will be a webpage where you enter the APNs for each SIM (each SIM has 2 APNs it can use).  I'll need to script in somewhere for the switching between SIMS/APNS to take place and from what I've seen in all the online docs it seems everyone hardcodes the APNs for an interface into a config, which won't work.   Another difference is that this modem uses the DirectIP feature, whereby you bring up the IP connection with AT commands directly to the modem, and then get an IP address via DHCP to the wwan0 interface, i.e. there is no pppd involved.  So far I haven't seen any scripts geared towards this either.

Is "multiwan" the way to go?  I'm really just looking for some quick general advise so I don't waste my time going down the wrong road.

Thanks
Aniello