OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-LINK MR3040 v2 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 2 Apr 2018 and 19 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi,

Will the TP-LINK MR3040 v2 be supported in OpenWRT? Is there active development going on?

According to http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3040 it is not supported (yet). The v1 devices are difficult to get

-Klaasjan

bump and i have the TP-LINK MR3040 v2.1 too..... is there any on going development for it? or can we use TL-MR11U's ?

do you have access to serial console?

I'm sorry.... i dont even know what a serial console is lol
I'm totally a newbie~ was just introduce to this openwrt just last friday @@

lol i dont have a mini screw driver to access into the board. So i cant provide pictures of its internal for now....

thank you for helping out but i dont think i will be doing it yet as i am not sure what to do if i brick my router. tongue

nebbia88 wrote:

if someone is brave enough, AND/OR has serial console working, here is a mr3040v1 AArc1 official openwrt image, simply renamed and header adjusted to be allowed to flash from mr3040v2 stock GUI:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwxj9jdspmf4g … actory.bin

here is a screenshot, running from my wr703n XD

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4100 … 3040v2.jpg

Hi nebbia88,

Thanks for your post but i am a bit confused as to your above post smile

I just ordered a tl-mr3040 from amazom and from reading on this forum i believe its more than likely that i would be sent a v2, so i need to understand all this in relation to the TL-MR3040 as i only bought it because i want to flash it with openwrt.

- you say in the above post - "here is a mr3040v1 AArc1 official openwrt image" but yet the actual file i downloaded from the dropbox link is a - "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-factory.bin" which says it a v2 bin.

So i am confused - is it a v1 bin or is it a really a v2 bin?

- you also say "here is a screenshot, running from my wr703n XD", however on looking at the screenshot, it says the router model is "TP-Link TL-MR3040 v2"

So again - is the bin in dropbox a v1 bin or is it a v2 bin or is it a modded v1 bin that can run on a v2?

- Also - what do you mean by - "running from my "wr703n" because as far as i know the wr703n is another router from TP-Link, so how can the v1 or v2 bin for a tl-wr3040 bin be running from your wr703n but still say in the screenshot that the router model is "TP-Link TL-MR3040 v2" ?

- Finally, if its a modded v1 for a v2 can i only flash it on the v2 but using the serial console?
If the answer to that is 'yes' then, is it possible to downgrade the v2 firmware to a v1 firmware and then use the v1 openwrt bin?

Cheers smile

(Last edited by des245 on 9 Apr 2013, 11:47)

as with mr11u v1 and v2, i only changed the filename and header. it's really the same bin you get for v1.
i DO NOT KNOW if it works on 3040 v2, i only know that it can be flashed from 3040v2 tplink gui, while bin for v1 cannot!
the model name in luci simply read the firmware header so it cannot know that real model was wr703n...

serial console is needed only in case of brick (that is not impossible to happen with untested firmware!)..

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 9 Apr 2013, 12:00)

nebbia88 wrote:

as with mr11u v1 and v2, i only changed the filename and header. it's really the same bin you get for v1.
i DO NOT KNOW if it works on 3040 v2, i only know that it can be flashed from 3040v2 tplink gui, while bin for v1 cannot!
the model name in luci simply read the firmware header so it cannot know that real model was wr703n...

serial console is needed only in case of brick (that is not impossible to happen with untested firmware!)..

Thanx mate, now i understand.

I will be trying this as soon as my TL-MR3040 is delivered and will report back.

I appreciate your quick response as well too smile

(Last edited by des245 on 9 Apr 2013, 12:26)

des245 how is it?

and still no news ? is there anyway to formally appeal for them to add support for this series?

renishi wrote:

des245 how is it?

and still no news ? is there anyway to formally appeal for them to add support for this series?

hi renishi,

I did recieve my mr3040 and then went straight ahead and bricked it lol - see here - https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=43493

anyway at the mo, i'm waiting for my usb to ttl adapter to be delivered by amazom, so i can go via serial and reset it.

re support for this device, i believe that this device is supported and there are some ppl here who have openwrt working ok for them on their mr3040, for example see here - https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 02#p197202

...so it just a case of unbricking mine via serial and then getting the right bin flashed and getting the configuration right.

...hopefully in a few days once the adapter is delivered, i can have mine up and running too smile

(Last edited by des245 on 16 Apr 2013, 11:18)

actually i successfully flash the file given by nebbia but there is no luci 3g or something that allows support the 3g modem and i failed to get it connect to the net to download the file.

Frustrated i.... tried to flash back to the tp-link ori fw and somehow bricked it

i will read all the other threads to update myself

renishi wrote:

actually i successfully flash the file given by nebbia but there is no luci 3g or something that allows support the 3g modem and i failed to get it connect to the net to download the file.

Frustrated i.... tried to flash back to the tp-link ori fw and somehow bricked it

i will read all the other threads to update myself

I understand your frustration mate lol

The best way to download stuff from openwrt on new install, is to first creat a 'client' i.e. under wifi, scan and select a router that you have access to and then once that set up, dont do anything else, as in creating a 'master' etc, simply connect your laptop or pc to your mr3040 via ethernet, this way at this stage you should  then have internet access from the router you have connected. You can now download package via the software tab with openwrt using LuCI.

Once you have downloaded the packages you need, you can then go on and configure openwrt further via LuCI.

Hope this helps.

Anyhow, as soon as my usb to ttl adapter is delivered, i will be unbricking my bricked mr3040 via serial and i will post how i got on etc smile

(Last edited by des245 on 16 Apr 2013, 23:13)

I think i will wait for u to try it 1st... although my replacement will reach soon.

lol my replacement came in as v1. haha problem solved....

good luck tongue

renishi wrote:

lol my replacement came in as v1. haha problem solved....

good luck tongue

happy you are happy lol

pls share how you get on and if everything works as it should on the v1

cheers big_smile

TL-MR3040 unbricked successful and openwrt installed in repeater mode and working okay thus far.

thanks to everyone who took time to help me out and advice me...you guys are great...appreciate smile

nice

i manage to flash mine with MR3040V1 AA.bin and it finally recognize my E392. Apparently the latest huntsman and bw just couldnt hook my modem on the internet but i do miss the features on hm and bw.

I did brick the unit but manage to failsafe it without serial code tongue

sorry for bringing up old thread, but just wanna ask, if there any working version for V2 already? or can anyone tell me if the official firmware will work fine with Huawei E398?

edit: it does seem that someone got it working in v2, maybe the wiki can be updated with this info?

(Last edited by BBXiong on 6 May 2013, 12:06)

ktukker wrote:

Confirmed. I downloaded the ROM provided by Nebbia88 and flash my MR3040v2 succesfully.

Download from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwxj9jdspmf4g … actory.bin

I want to confirm that worked for me too.  Got my 3040 a month ago only to realize it was a v2 and what that meant.  So I went on a trip, came back and ordered a USB to UART adapter figuring I'd give it a go via the Serial route.  Cracked that puppy open tonight and was figuring out how to when I found these updated posts since I last read.  Decided to try it and whadya know?  It worked.  Building a pirate box so now I gotta see what packages I need to finish that up.  Thanks to Nebbia88 for the modified file and to ktukker for confirmation as well!

(Last edited by brokenr1 on 7 May 2013, 05:38)

just a curious question, anyone is able to go back to stock?
mine seems to have some problem recently, when i connect my huawei E398 to it without the battery, it will restart few seconds after the USB LED light up, and the process will repeat forever.. anyone facing that problem?
strangely this goes away after i plug in the battery, with or without power adapter