OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Jul 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Same here. When I use the Web browser to configure the router, I get "Bad Gateway" message. I even reinstalled Luci but got the same error after reinstallation

i flashed an oldest version of bassman that works fine luci etc but the wifi reception is soo bad i cant even connect 10 meters away from a wall. Only when im next to the router connects fine any help ?

(Last edited by mitsakhs on 29 Mar 2013, 13:45)

I also I get "Bad Gateway" after flashing .  I have TL-WR841N V8.3.  I am a bit new at this and unsure as to how to flash back to oldest version of bassman ?  I can telnet to the router etc. but how do I upload the bin and reflash?

Gilmore_093 wrote:

I can telnet to the router etc. but how do I upload the bin and reflash?

You can flash latest version using:

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 
sysupgrade openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 

If I have the router by hand (not doing it remotely), I'm also using firstboot command after update to start clean config files and configure everything again. The trunk version does not have to work at all, but it usually works. you will only have to install luci web interface using

opkg update
opkg install luci

But it eats a lot of flash space, so I'm not using luci at all, I edit configs directly, whis is more of fun and I found it even easier...

nozombian wrote:
Gilmore_093 wrote:

I can telnet to the router etc. but how do I upload the bin and reflash?

You can flash latest version using:

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 
sysupgrade openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 

If I have the router by hand (not doing it remotely), I'm also using firstboot command after update to start clean config files and configure everything again. The trunk version does not have to work at all, but it usually works. you will only have to install luci web interface using

opkg update
opkg install luci

But it eats a lot of flash space, so I'm not using luci at all, I edit configs directly, whis is more of fun and I found it even easier...

Please HELP me!

Did I brick my router?

I have a v8.3 TL-WR841N. I flashed "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" over the stock firmware, and now I can't even connect to the router via ethernet. Did I flash the wrong file? Should I have flashed the "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-factory.bin"?

yes you flashed wrong image check if it can telnet it through  failsafe mode

(Last edited by mitsakhs on 30 Mar 2013, 01:11)

mitsakhs wrote:

yes you flashed wrong image check if it can telnet it through  failsafe mode

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'll try to do that. Is this the right tutorial?

Thank you nozombian and sarahchuf;  I am back in business.  I love Luci!

Gilmore_093 wrote:

I don't get why you're thanking me lol

I returned the router for replacement, no questions asked. Thank you mitsakhs for the prompt reply.

Gilmore_093 wrote:

I compiled the last image with luci+web-failsafe, it should be nearly impossible to brick seriously smile
I wonder what the problem with that image is, though. I'm making a new build soon. In the meantime, I've edited the latest post to add a warning about the problems with the build.

(Last edited by bassman on 30 Mar 2013, 09:56)

Still problems with my latest builds. I have no idea what's up. Deleting the linked files to avoid trouble. Use the build found here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 34#p190634.

bassman wrote:

NEW FIRMWARE for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.x
OpenWRT Barrier Breaker @36141 (LuCI)

Here is a new OpenWRT build for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.2. It should work with v8.0 too, because they have the same hardware. Version is trunk r36132 (Barrier Breaker). This build includes LuCI (the web interface). IT IS UNTESTED. I am still running my previous build, found here at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 34#p190634.

If you have the original factory firmware in your router, flash the file with "factory" in the filename. If you already have OpenWRT and only want to update, flash the file with "sysupgrade" in the filename. You can do that from the web interface in both cases. Extract the RAR archive before flashing! You have to flash the .bin files. Checksum are included in md5 format so you can check there's no corruption.

Factory: http://www.FastShare.org/download/openw … v36141.rar

Sysupgrade: http://www.FastShare.org/download/openw … v36141.rar

I hope this helps. Please report about problems or success, so I can edit this post accordingly.

(Last edited by bassman on 30 Mar 2013, 18:46)

I just flashed the new version, but I also got a "bad gateway" message and therefore I bricked my device.
But now I cant´t flash a new firmware via telnet (with the wget command) because I don´t have any internet access on my bricked router. I also openend a local ftp server but it always tells me that the network is unreachable.

What to do? I already plugged in an ethernet cable on port 1 which is connected to a switch (which is connected to the internet). I hoped that I will have internet access but no luck ;(

I also have a further question: After setting the password under telnet it tells me that SSH will be enabled. But when connecting with WinSCP I don´t get any SSH connection? Is that normal?

I always get:

wget: bad address 'downloads.openwrt.org'

(Last edited by raz0r on 30 Mar 2013, 17:49)

disable your firewall

I also have a further question: After setting the password under telnet it tells me that SSH will be enabled. But when connecting with WinSCP I don´t get any SSH connection? Is that normal?

normally after setting up root password youll'd be able to ssh or winSCP to router , check your router IP.

(Last edited by xopal on 30 Mar 2013, 17:50)

Which firewall? On the router itself? Or on my PC?

on your PC where you put your local FTP server

I already disabled it!
I don´t understand how the router should get an internet connection when it is in Failsafe Modus???

I don't have any experience connecting router to the net while in failsafe mode , but at least you can try this , setup dns and add route to the net.

I am a Windows guy so I won´t get this achieved. And I have no SSH access on failsafe modus nor on normal mode. There seems to be a SSH server problem on the flashed image file. So I think I have to return it to my supplier ...

I am sorry I cannot offer useful advice. I am baffled by my latest builds not working. I'll delete the links from the post, so no one will get in trouble.

Before deciding to return the router, I would try reflashing the last known working firmware via the built-in failsafe mode. Procedure outlined here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 70#p182670. By the way, no ssh needed, it's all done through telnet/http(wget).

Before actually returning the router, I think it's a good idea to reflash the factory firmware, removing all traces of OpenWrt. You can use the same procedure, but of course you have to download a working factory firmware image from the TP-Link site.

(Last edited by bassman on 30 Mar 2013, 18:44)

I just managed to flash the router with an older file with LuCI included. But now the router is so slow that I can´t access the web menu. I flashed it with the "sysupgrade" commando. Are there any commandos to fully clear the router? I already made a factory reset by typing

mtd -r erase rootfs_data

But no luck, the router is as slow as before factory reset.

BTW: I can´t get back to the stock firmware because the tmp flash seems to be to small for uploading the ~3,8MB file to it. Any idea? I followed this instructions: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 70#p182670

tmp should be all your available ram... much more than 4megs.. post output of
df
free

pay really attention to the exact size of stock firmware, must be without uboot!

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 30 Mar 2013, 19:05)

Router is bricked forever. I will never use OpenWRT again. DDWRT is my favorite and my next router must support DDWRT. But thank you all for the kind help!

raz0r wrote:

Router is bricked forever.

what did you do??? if you describe your steps maybe other users could learn from your mistakes..

anyway, get a ttl serial adapter.. you can surely recover it wink

raz0r wrote:

Router is bricked forever. I will never use OpenWRT again. DDWRT is my favorite and my next router must support DDWRT. But thank you all for the kind help!

You can brick your router with dd-wrt just as fine, but with opewrt it's very likely someone will try to help you wink If you brick your router with openwrt, it's mostly by your mistake, i.e. you have flashed wrong image, not followed the wiki, etc, don't blame openwrt for that! TP-Links are good and cheap routers, but they don't have tftp recovery via ethernet, so they are not suitable for beginners. If you make a mistake, you will have to recover with serial cable, which is quite easy, but still it requires opening tha device and soldering cable to the right pins. You can also replace the device, if it's still under warranty, this is what I have done many times, just don't tell them you have flashed the firmware smile

(Last edited by nozombian on 31 Mar 2013, 01:47)

Hi guys,

a bit newbie in flashing open firmware on my router.

I have  TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.3 (a bit newer) and i don't know which build i should use.

bazemak wrote:

OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09-rc1 installed on TP-Link TL - WRT841N V8.3
I don't know who is the one who put so much hard work on this firmware but already 13 days this firmware working without any problem, and i also install P2P blocking software (freifunk-p2pblock) which is working awesome.

This means i should use http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … x/generic/ but dont know if jffs2 or squashfs version. Which one u recommend?

I know i need to use "factory" version as i have factory firmware...

Can someone help me?

Btw: some howto would be good, but i think i can flash it from default TP link webUI