OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-link TL-703N original factory image restore

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have successfully flashed the router and make telnet works by following http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n. But somehow the telnet doesn't work anymore after I tried to change the IP address. Tried to restore factory img with OPKG by following one thread in this forum but failed. Then I used local tftp and finally make it work through the console.

1) install tftp server for windows
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/638/xp2k … tp-server/

2) Set your windows computer ipaddr to 192.168.1.100
copy factory img 2011930104462.rar to tftp server fold under this computer     
Note: can not find it from tp-link website but got one from here: http://villagetelco.org/download/firmwa … /Standard/ 

3) Setup serial console 115200 8n1
Enter "tpl" as soon as U-Boot announces "Autobooting in 1 seconds"
Run blow command under U-Boot:
tftpboot 0x81000000 wr703nv1_cn_3_12_11_up(110926).bin
erase 0x9f020000 +0x3c0000
cp.b 0x81000000 0x9f020000 0x3c0000
bootm 9f020000

Great summary! I can add Mac OS X procedure smile witch is about the same:

1). Get free TFTP Server form MacUpdate
note: you'd better use your Administrator account not standard user! Or may have some difficulties.
Install the application and start it, then click on Reveal ( Finder Icon inside the TFTPServer Interface) default path will be /private/tftpboot, copy your firmware.bin there. then start tftpserver

2).Set your Mac Ethernet to Manually config and IP address to 192.168.1.100
The newest original firmware can be downloaded form here ( Chinese ) or directly form TL-WR703N V1_120228???

3). Connect your router over serial and Ethernet cable to your Mac. For serial console I'm using CoolTerm and you have to change the default settings form baud-rate 9600 to 115200 and select right "Usb to serial" adapter. Then push button connect, you should see U-Boot boot process. Off and On your router and quickly type 'tpl' without quotas and hit 'Enter' U-boot should stop if you succeed and fallow the rest as WiKi but will have to change the start address as sunvale post in summary:
Run blow command under U-Boot:
'printenv' will show you router IP and server IP (your MAC IP 192.168.1.100 in that case) - you actually do not need to do that.

tftpboot 0x81000000 exactflashname.bin
erase 0x9f020000 +0x3c0000
cp.b 0x81000000 0x9f020000 0x3c0000
bootm 9f020000

This is the exact same procedure for recovering messed up TL-MR11U back to Original firmware form offical page or direct link for TL-MR11U V1_111129???

I hope you did not damaged/overwritten your 'Config' or 'ART' partition, then you will have working router without WiFi. Solution is to flash your full backup.bin with programmer. I did not succeeded flashing 'Config' and 'ART' form U-BOOT.

(Last edited by mveplus on 4 May 2012, 15:37)

Are you using a direct serial cable connection or do you have a ttl to rs232 converter inline?

you NEED    USB to TTL 3.3V serial (example cables with PL2303 chip), or RS232 to TTL (example with MAX232 chip).

sorry I do not speak English, I installed it on my tp 703 DD WRT but I would like to return to the original firmaware. Could you help me by placing screenshots of the steps?
thanks so much
I used google traslator apologize if English is not perfect!
Paolo.

then I would need a cable to connect to the router which do you recommend?
To do the surgery I have to open the case?
Thanks Paolo.

scorpio23 wrote:

then I would need a cable to connect to the router which do you recommend?
To do the surgery I have to open the case?
Thanks Paolo.

Yup, you have to open the case. You also need to do some soldering (described in the Wiki). For cable the cheapest is a Nokia cable, hacked: see
http://hackaday.com/2010/02/25/nokia-us … -disguise/

Hello after a long time I started to work on updating the firmware, I buy a usb pl 2303 but I can not understand what it means to enter "tpl." You can have a video or a screenshot of how to do the operation?
thanks

did you connect your router to your computer with the USB converter / TTL?

if you are opening (under windows) hyperterminal (or putty) to select the proper COM port
enter parameters:

115200 baud
8 bit data
1 stop bit
no parity
no flow control

turning on the router,
as soon as you see something in the terminal type on the keyboard tpl and enter ;

One comment from my experience, how much flash needs to be erased and than copied from memory depends on particular image, unless they all have 100% identical size smile

The discussion might have continued from here.