OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link wr941nd, and USB port

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello everyone!

i've been reading about installing usb port to TP-Link WR941ND
but i don't know what's the components it need exactly
any hints?
thank you.

Hi MBS, can you explain more about how to make usb power supply as you mentioned with "7805 circuit" ? some images?
sorry, i don't know about electronics, but i can learn smile

Check the datasheet page 22, figure 7 for the common 7805 circuit. Try to get one designed for around 500mA, that is normally the max power for USB. But if you intend to draw that much power (and worry about heat dissipation and efficiency), you may also look for dc-dc converters (or step-down converters). Some of them have the same pinout as the 7805, for others you need to consult the datasheet.

Hello MBS
i'm running tl-wr941nd with usb port :)

i have followed this website: http://wifiar.sytes.net/drupal6/?q=node/45
but with something differently, the way i did is:

short two pins for R1000, and other two pins for R1001
solder two resistors underside the board, (i've installed big resistors, not smd resistors :)  )
also i've installed one big resistor in R96 near Atheros chipset
external power ~5.5v for usb, this external power is just usb charger for mobile phone :)

then i did build new openwrt firmware with some changes in source code for wr941nd.c to run usb, and enabled kernel module for usb, it was so hard to compile, but i did!
followed some tricks in openwrt wiki about how to install packages to run usb.
sorry for my bad english.

that is :D
thank you for your support

(Last edited by nazdimahmed on 20 Mar 2013, 10:20)

The discussion might have continued from here.