OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Installing kmod-usb-serial

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi folks,
I'm new here and I've quite the same issue I wanna install   kmod-usb-serial,  kmod-usb-serial-ftdi and've no sucess.
I've tried apt-get usb... dpkg-i i,ve downloaded rar files with ipk. extensions(some erorr opening/extracting file) and've no success
I wanna hack my router firmware : I've serial-usb connection router Pirelli discus AG v1 pc : Lenovo thinkpad r 500, Linux mint13
I've already installed opewrt by this tut    http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/01/ope … to-finish/
can anybody show me some bin file I've found nothnig usefull, searched here, github... and nuthin
I've downloaded from here  https://github.com/warrmr/openwrt-packages-bin

(Last edited by r.balejik on 25 Feb 2013, 09:23)

ssh into the router, then type:
opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-ftdi

Done. There is no apt-get in openWRT.
Also, by using firmware from a third party, you have no idea if it is current or even correct.
Everything you need is at openwrt.org.

1) so I've to have ssh server installed and configured way that it'd have set router as known host.
2)And another point is that I build opkg form source everyhin OK but when I type opkg - it said command not found ( I assume first I need to ssh into router and then it works = the opkg command)

correct:
ssh into router, as I said above.

I followed this guide on first login http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin
and it says i need some vanilla image and I don't have any image in trunk  ? od I need to download the openwrt imagebuilder on the top of the
http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm63xx/ (I have pirelli ag225 and that's brcmxx I've found brcm63xx most probably)
I've downloaded snapshots/trunk = bleeding edge or is it better to download the stable version  = backfire  my router is wuite old 07/07 so the stable could be ok? and from backfire I've downloaded imagebuilder,sdk and toolchain, is that enough to install openwrt on my pc

(Last edited by r.balejik on 28 Feb 2013, 19:36)

I'll be damned........ I need to do this: ( according to "officila openwrt" guide http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin )
   Any freshly installed "vanilla" OpenWrt Image, will start with these defaults:
The internal interface lan and the wireless interface/interfaces wlan0 / wlan1 are bridged together to br-lan
    wifi is disabled
    the IP address of the internal interface/bridge of the OpenWrt-device is 192.168.1.1/24
    dnsmasq is running; it allocates IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.100 to .250 on the internal interface to connected hosts
    dropbear does not accept connections
    telnet daemon is running on standard port (23)....
change pass for openwrt and then ssh into router ...
And finally opkg kmod-usb... and you're saying  I need opkg first I'm lost. moreover when I type opkg terminal says command not found ( I build opkg from source)
so what I need to do first?
I'v no file in /etc/opkg.conf. so am i doing smth wrong?
How to install opkg properly...??

(Last edited by r.balejik on 28 Feb 2013, 21:55)

What did you install and how did you install it?  opkg will be available in all precomplied images from the openwrt downloads site ( http://downloads.openwrt.org/ ) and in all self-built images unless you disable it yourself.

After flashing, you telnet into 192.168.1.1 and change the password.  Then reboot and connect and sign in with ssh (or putty or the like).  Then run "opkg update" and "opkg install kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-ftdi" (and whatever else you need).

My advice as a beginner myself in OpenWRT:

If you're new to OpenWRT and/or linux,
- forget about compiling an image by yourself
- especially forget about compiling a trunk image

Both are only suitable for advanced users, who know what they're doing, who do not stumble over every tiny error and who can help themselves.

Instead, for the first steps with OpenWRT, go the easy and safe way: Install a *precompiled image* or generate (not compile) one by yourself with help of the image generator.
---> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtain.firmware ---> see 1) + 2)

To my experience, this is much easier, less error prone and *will work*.

With the precompiled image, you can play around, install available packages, get to know OpenWRT and it's configurations, learn how things work.

With precompiled images, you will have opkg installed by default and it will work.

By the way: Why do you want to "hack" your router? What's your goal you want to achieve? What do you want to do with OpenWRT?

P.S.: You have to be forgiving and wakeful with *all* open source firmware project documentation, not just OpenWRT, since developers like to develop, but not to document (I totally understand this; I would act the same way smile. Much of the information you find on the net refers to old versions of OpenWRT and may not be applicable to your specific build.

I need dynamic dns client, I registered domain at freedns.afraid.org and  there's a list of dynamic dns clients and I choose Openwrt - exactly luci-app-ddns package. (I've downloaded imagebuilder : OpenWrt-ImageBuilder-brcm63xx-for-Linux-i686.tar.bz2  hope its for my route for other pirelli there was the number (sometimes with ?) I see that for some routers no one really knows what's the architecture big_smile )

I quite understand the bulding from src - installed kmod-usb, opkg, open ssl (as packages the M option ) .... but where I've problem Luci - web interface there's - I can't choose it's inactive why? And back to  obtaining firmware "less painlessly :  I've downloaded imagebuilder extract it and it's done ? only option was i686 but i've 64bit system not 32. the 1st option was some bin file but which ?

Some questions:

- How old is that router?
- Is "Pirelli discus AG v1" the complete name of the router?
- Is there a sticker with model / maker / serial number on the router?
- Do you have a manual (printed or pdf) for this router?
- Are you sure that this router doesn't support DDNS by itself, without the need for a different DDNS?
- Why are you stuck to that router? Why not a router for $25 who has a builtin DDNS client, so you don't need any firmware modification?

Just curious, because you are going through all that hassle only to get a DDNS client...

(Last edited by tmo26 on 12 Mar 2013, 19:13)

What about just following the steps suggested in the wiki and post the results here, if it fails?

Actuallly i've found I've pirelli 225g - on page of my service provider router is from  07/07 (my router also routes cable TV) . My router only supports dyn and tzo dns clients(both powered by dyn.com) and I've also asked folks who are more expirienced wtih those things and said I've to hack that router to support luci-dns (or some other opensource dynamic dns client)

The discussion might have continued from here.