OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

WRT the WIFI <->LAN problem. Have not tried the latest build above as still on 35318 but what seems to be happening here is that a WIFI client tries to get to a LAN machine and arps it (same network of course) The LAN box sees the arp with the WIFI client ip and mac and replies but the reply never gets back through the bridge.

hello
I have a e3000 and a wrt610nv2
I can not get any version to work properly after this http://openwrt.razvi.ro/barrier_braker_asus_rt-n16_svn_r34498/

attempts to compile but the problem is that is continually reset when I enter luci

I need to compile to add support rtl8187 and rt73

do git on specific version?

I would like to use the new version but can not get to remain stable

(Last edited by Al3XKOoL on 16 Feb 2013, 19:47)

I know that closed source broadcom drivers were one of the reasons we couldn't have kernel 3.3 support, and therefore codel support, in the past. Now that we have kernel 3.3 running on broadcom, does this mean we get codel support for these routers too?

DB1 wrote:

WRT the WIFI <->LAN problem. not tried the latest build above as still on 35318 but what seems to be happening here is that a WIFI client tries to get to a LAN machine and arps it (same network of course) The LAN box sees the arp with the WIFI client ip and mac and replies but the reply never gets back through the bridge.

I also see it here using trunk firmware r35749, but with a nuance:

As much as I can tell, telnet, ssh, ftp, sftp and ping work well but http doesn't, on two boxes in the local eth lan requesting from my laptop with wifi connection.

Furthermore, I have a vpn connection, different subnet, which is being routed to the local lan by the RT-N16 using openvpn and the box on the other end sends http correctly while the one in the local lan, same make and firmware, doesn't. Again, using my wifi laptop as client. I guess, this also crosses the WiFi <-> lan bridge, doesn't it?

I hope someone can fix this to save me the trouble of connecting my ethernet cable whenever I need to access these boxes. I'm available to help on whatever I can/know.

Rgds
jss

(Last edited by jss on 24 Feb 2013, 15:04)

Have not tried this, but thinking about it. By default the WIFI and LAN are bridged and this is what appears to be broken. Now I know I can bounce from the guest WIFI to my LAN printer via NAT so would this work?

Remove the bridge between WIFI and LAN.
Put the WIFI on a different sub-net - lets say the LAN is 192.168.0.* and the WIFI 192.168.2.*
Have two POSTROUTING nat rules

-s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 192.168.2.*/24 -SNAT --to-source 192.168.2.1
-s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -SNAT --to-source 192.168.0.1

?

jss wrote:

As much as I can tell, telnet, ssh, ftp, sftp and ping work well but http doesn't, on two boxes in the local eth lan requesting from my laptop with wifi connection.

Talked too soon, I'm sorry. I only installed the router yesterday.

In fact, I'm now seeing some problems in other services, namely hung ssh console and xbmc frontend, although partially responsive.

Would this have something to do with the WiFi MTU? I can see some truncated packets with wireshark.

Rgds
jss

DB1 wrote:

Put the WIFI on a different sub-net - lets say the LAN is 192.168.0.* and the WIFI 192.168.2.*

Sorry, our posts crossed.

I can do this just as an experiment but it doesn't suit my setup; I need my wifi laptop on the same subnet as the boxes otherwise I would have to change the boxes allowances.

On the other hand, just to stimulate your thinking, on my wifi laptop I can receive http and other services perfectly from the wan. Doesn't this get through the lan <-> wifi bridge as well? I mean, after nat from wan to lan?

?

But there is a difference. WIFI to WAN is not the same as WIFI to LAN. The "bridge" is in the CPU, port 5 on non-gigabit routers and 8 on gigabit,  I doubt the code path touches the WIFI-LAN bridge when it goes to the WAN. It is the latter that has the problems.

I don't understand your comment about box allowances.

DB1 wrote:

I don't understand your comment about box allowances.

Just as an example, on the ftp server:

<Limit LOGIN>
  Allow from 192.168.10.
</Limit>

All the other boxes / services have similar limitations / permissions / allowances and I would have to go through all that; it's easier to plug the eth cable.

Hello, everyone,

Can anyone share detailed steps for building openwrt trunk code to fit into asus rt-n16?

As I got missed when using menuconfig to create the correct config profile.

As told by zloop in this thread https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=193194#p193194,
I need to select BCM947xx/BCM953XX, but when select BCM947xx/BCM953XX, where will be only bcm43xx in the select selection.

Anyone has a working building steps?

Thanks

Wally wrote:

Ticket with better description of WLAN<->LAN issue https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/13058

So, it's MTU related after all. Ping works up to 1468 and stops working after 1469.

I also see this.

Just thought I would let you all know that my ruse outlined in reply 255 above works like a dream. There are a couple of gotchas that I fell over though. In outline here is what I did - all at the command line as you are changing too much for the GUI to stay working throughout and you *will* lock yourself out.

For the purpose of the exercise assume the lan is 192.168.0.0/24 and is eth0.0.

/etc/config/dhcp

Copy the lan entry and change the name to wlan

/etc/config/wireless

Change the wireless network from lan to wlan

/etc/config/network

Add a switch statement for a new vlan that only has the CPU as a port (8 or 5) depending on your router being gigabit or not respectively. Say:

config switch_vlan 'eth0_4'
        option device 'eth0'
        option vlan '4'
        option ports '8'       

copy the lan entry
remove option type bridge from lan entry
in the copy change name to wlan
change ipaddr to a different subnet - in my case 192.168.2.1
change ifname to the new vlan - in my case eth0.4

Firewall rules. Here is where it gets nasty. Anywhere in the rules that say br-lan need now to be eth0.0 - this is how I managed to lock myself out the first time :-(

You need two new FOWARD rules
lan interface (eth0.0) to wlan interface (br-wlan) -j ACCEPT
br-wlan to eth0.0 -j ACCEPT

This almost locked my out the second time - I had wrongly assumed I needed to change br-lan to lan but no it needs to be the eth0.0 form. Luckily I still had access to fix it.

And two nat rules

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $WLAN_IP_RANGE -d $LAN_IP_RANGE -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.0.1
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $LAN_IP_RANGE -d $WLAN_IP_RANGE -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.2.1

You're good to go.

HTH

EDIT: Oh and you may need an extra nat rule for the new subnet to WAN

(Last edited by DB1 on 26 Feb 2013, 16:00)

Anybody succeeded with AP+STA configuration (broadcom drivers)?
I am trying to set up a wireless repeater, but no matter what I try wireless authentication (WPA2) to the router (repeater) never finishes (wlan is visible, no one can connect). If the repeater is not connected to the router, clients can connect to the repater without any problem. If the repeater is connected to the original router (through wlan) internet is accessible through ethernet. I have tried both routed and non-routed setups (two subnets, NAT; same bridge, no NAT, no DHCP; I am generally using the same settings, that work under dd-wrt with same router, so settings should be ok). Using the build from post #266.

Will this firmware also run on e3200? 5Ghz not so inportant, tryed already tomatousb and dd-wrt but they dont perform wel like openwrt do.

Anyone have success on getting stable WiFi connection with wl driver on latest trunk? (36139)
12906 seems like still not fixed, btw.

Aslo now there is WRT320N/E2000 (and some others) trunk builds.

RussianNeuroMancer wrote:

Anyone have success on getting stable WiFi connection with wl driver on latest trunk? (36139)
12906 seems like still not fixed, btw.

Aslo now there is WRT320N/E2000 (and some others) trunk builds.

I got the same Problem as described above...
But it's harder than above, coz i set up a Wireless Bridge.
That's the biggest fault you could ever make, because i can't access the router.
Tried telnet in failsafe mode => even doesn't get ping in failsafe sad
Then i tried flashing DD-WRT, TomatoUSB and original Linksys Firmware via TFTP.
Some of them are successfully transfered to the router, but then the DMZ-Light blinks forever.
I tried to leave the router blinking for 1 hour!!!
Nothing happens. If i reboot the router the WIFI begans to blink and i have no connection on ethernet ports.
Can someone explain me what the problem is?
Because i can ping the router at startup and I can transfer Firmwares via TFTP too.
So in my opinion my e3000 isn't broken. Am i right?

(Last edited by kolb.marco on 17 Apr 2013, 14:18)

kolb.marco wrote:

I got the same Problem as described above...
But it's harder than above, coz i set up a Wireless Bridge.
That's the biggest fault you could ever make, because i can't access the router.
Tried telnet in failsafe mode => even doesn't get ping in failsafe sad
Then i tried flashing DD-WRT, TomatoUSB and original Linksys Firmware via TFTP.
Some of them are successfully transfered to the router, but then the DMZ-Light blinks forever.
I tried to leave the router blinking for 1 hour!!!
Nothing happens. If i reboot the router the WIFI begans to blink and i have no connection on ethernet ports.
Can someone explain me what the problem is?
Because i can ping the router at startup and I can transfer Firmwares via TFTP too.
So in my opinion my e3000 isn't broken. Am i right?

Opened a ticket about my problem: #13372

Do anybody know that the final attitude adjustment is compatible with rt-n16?