OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Developing Support for TPLINK WDR4900

The content of this topic has been archived between 4 Oct 2014 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello,

I bought a new Tplink WDR4900 and as far as I know it is not supported in openwrt. There are any plans to support this model?

I might help in the process because I am a developer myself, but my time is quite limited...

The model is this one:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta … TL-WDR4900

(Last edited by adamastor666 on 1 Feb 2013, 20:48)

I bought it too, hope new firmware arrive smile

FC Rules wink

HEEEEY!!

It would be incredible!! big_smile
I have one too, and i would like so much to have OpenWrt

OpenWrt in this model please!! smile smile

truemozzer wrote:

+1 smile

LoL, four new users today, everyone with this model.. seems like a funny coincidence!

nebbia88 wrote:

LoL, four new users today, everyone with this model.. seems like a funny coincidence!

yes nebbia88

many people have bought since an error in the selling price on amazon

between 44 € and 46 € when it should be more than 120 € tongue

Well, it runs linux (u-boot bootloader), so chances are good to get it...

Owners please open it up, find serial console pins, hook up 3.3v serial cable and post a complete boot log (from the very beginning, u-boot msgs too), please smile

Btw GPL code available http://www.tp-link.com/resources/gpl/TL … GPL.tar.gz

Awesome news!! Thanks!!

This machine will really rock

Then it looks good?. FANTASTIC!!

excellent news!

Thank you!!

juhosg wrote:

Be patient, I'm working on that. wink

http://pastebin.com/Mf6xNjwD

Very goods news then! the hardware of this router seems to be very good to waste in the original firmware smile

truemozzer wrote:

+1 ofc.

And hi all!

Base on GCC the compiler mtune options should be

-mtune=e500mc

How's the matter?
I hope it goes great and there will soon be even a good result!

come on!!!

Interesting information on the "glossy" for the WDR4900 at http://www.tp-link.com/common/features/ … R4900.html

Independent NAT switch chip
Offer faster NAT conversion rate and improved data forwarding rate

Looking at the point indicated in the marketing material, it points to the chip behind the CPU. In the thread on the Chinese version, zooming in on the photo, it looks to be the chip stamped "Atheros AR8327N-AL1"

The Qualcomm documentation does state

The 8327N supports line rate NAT (Network Address Translation) offloading the processor and improving throughput.

However, looking at https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11779 indicates that the vendor-supplied code has been evaluated and, at least at this time, isn't ready for prime time.

Indeed, it's the same Atheros switch chip with hardware NAT that has been used on previous TP-Link routers and many others, Openwrt does not support it right now and currently there's no intention to, apparently it would require too many "ugly hacks" in the code.

Curiously enough the Linux that comes shipped on these things from the factory is still kernel 2.6

Anything new? cool

truemozzer wrote:

Anything new? cool

something new?? (good, please!!!)

without OpenWrt, this router have an enormous fail for me sad
very powerful but........ but.. buuuuuut  :'(

Am I correct that this Freescale CPU includes a hardware FPU-coprocessor, so that all the floating point operations are calculated directly thus much faster than they are on common MIPS SoCs (like ar71xx), where FP has to be emulated via FPU-emulator?

Some time ago I tried to run a couple of small php-GD scripts for image processing on AR7161, and they were just extremely slow. Now I'm just curious would this Freescale CPU be significantly faster in applications like those, in case it has the dedicated FPU.

(Last edited by eximido on 15 Feb 2013, 11:13)

eximido wrote:

Am I correct that this Freescale CPU includes a hardware FPU-coprocessor, so that all the floating point operations are calculated directly thus much faster than they are on common MIPS SoCs (like ar71xx), where FP has to be emulated via FPU-emulator?

Some time ago I tried to run a couple of small php-GD scripts for image processing on AR7161, and they were just extremely slow. Now I'm just curious would this Freescale CPU be significantly faster in applications like those, in case it has the dedicated FPU.

It should be.
Based on the spec sheet it does have a hardware FPU and it is running at 800MHZ.
AFAIK all the MIPS Based Router use Software Emulation for Float.
It should be a very high performance Router.
I am dying to get this router, but I already have WDR4300...

(Last edited by alphasparc on 15 Feb 2013, 13:36)

AR7161 could also be overclocked from its std 680MHz freq to 800MHz. IIRC in some mikrotik boards it comes with 800 MHz clock by default, but just the clock speeds are not the whole story. What I'm really interested in is whether hardware FPU (along with PPC architecture) will provide any significant performance benefits for the userspace software like php compared to MIPS SoCs running at the same clocks.