OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Jul 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Installed on V8.3 works awsome, Thanks!

warchild wrote:
y.yumu wrote:

Yew wnt, this is the file http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin . Just upload it from the web interface and it wi'll work like a charm. I'm also from romania and i had a 8.0 and worked perfectly.

Just did the same with a brand new TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0 and is working fine, thanks!

bazemak works awsome ? What it is wifi speed?

Hi guys, it works really awesome, good work! My device: TL-WR841ND V8.1, one of the latest builds of barrier braker, compiled from trunk. Flashed with squashfs, everything seems to be working fine.

I have tested wifi speed over nat and speed was constantly well over 10MB/s (megabytes), which was same as what I got with cable, there was no difference. Tested with 3gb file and windows file sharing.

(Last edited by nozombian on 22 Jan 2013, 11:03)

Replying to myself: TP-Link WR841N v8.2 works perfectly with the release suggested by y.yumu!
http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin
I flashed it easily from the web interface.

Now I feel adventurous and would like to try a bleeding edge release (Barrier Breaker)...

nozombian wrote:

Hi guys, it works really awesome, good work! My device: TL-WR841ND V8.1, one of the latest builds of barrier braker, compiled from trunk. Flashed with squashfs, everything seems to be working fine.

Hey @nozombian, could you please give us a link to the binary you flashed?

(Last edited by bassman on 22 Jan 2013, 14:30)

nozombian wrote:

Hey @nozombian, could you please give us a link to the binary you flashed?

Sure wink Check it out - barrier breaker 35174 smile

http://www.fastshare.org/download/openwrt_ar71xx_generic_tl_wr841n_v8_squashfs_factory_3517..7z
http://www.fastshare.org/download/openwrt_ar71xx_generic_tl_wr841n_v8_squashfs_sysupgrade_3517..7z

If you have already attitude adjustemnt, do sysupgrade and rather firstboot, the first link is from factory firmware only. The version is compiled with regdomain respect enabled, so you can use channels 12,13 if you set correct country. I don't use web interface, so it's not there, but you can install it via opkg I think.

Been running about 10 days flawless, but today the thing went catatonic. Had to power cycle it. This happen to anyone else?

nozombian wrote:

Sure wink Check it out - barrier breaker 35174 smile

Thanks! Channel 12 and 13? Sweet! smile

miatawnt2b wrote:

Been running about 10 days flawless, but today the thing went catatonic. Had to power cycle it. This happen to anyone else?

Defione "catatonic" wink I have been solving random issues with wr741nd, like wifi getting deaf after few days, with cron reboots, but strange things might happen after few hours of operation. If there's a bug, restarts won't fix it, but the reliability is far better, if you can live with a minute of downtime every day. You can also cron wifi downs in the evenings and wifi ups in the morning, I'm doing this to avoid radiation when I sleep.

bazemak wrote:

Installed on V8.3 works awsome, Thanks!

warchild wrote:
y.yumu wrote:

Yew wnt, this is the file http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin . Just upload it from the web interface and it wi'll work like a charm. I'm also from romania and i had a 8.0 and worked perfectly.

Just did the same with a brand new TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0 and is working fine, thanks!

Why you installed de beta2 instead RC1? did you know that is already released?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/

have a look

The RC1 works fine for me, using this firm with no problems last month

(Last edited by Alf55 on 23 Jan 2013, 14:15)

nozombian wrote:
miatawnt2b wrote:

Defione "catatonic" wink I have been solving random issues with wr741nd, like wifi getting deaf after few days, with cron reboots, but strange things might happen after few hours of operation. If there's a bug, restarts won't fix it, but the reliability is far better, if you can live with a minute of downtime every day. You can also cron wifi downs in the evenings and wifi ups in the morning, I'm doing this to avoid radiation when I sleep.

It could have been a wifi bug as I don't have anything else connected via wire. Some wireless devices said they were connected, some could see the ssid but not connect. How are you cron-ing wifi?

Installed like I write before only one concern, I have 8 clients associated with my router all of them is woking perfect except one my experia arc s with android ice 4.x.x the connection is keeping reconnecting actually is dropping all the time. I try to change channels and standard from b,g,n didn't help. Anybody have similar issues

miatawnt2b wrote:

It could have been a wifi bug as I don't have anything else connected via wire. Some wireless devices said they were connected, some could see the ssid but not connect. How are you cron-ing wifi?

IC, there have been many problems with wifi along the way, I'm facing the problem I cannot see wifi at all, tried many trunk releases and the "deaf wifi bug" is still not fixed, best results I have with option encyption 'psk2+ccmp'

I've achieved turning wifi off during nights this way:

vi /etc/crontabs/root

#crontab
17 23 * * * wifi down # disable wifi at 23:17
28 6 * * * wifi # enable wifi at 6:28
18 6 * * 5 reboot # do a reboot every friday at 6:18

/etc/init.d/cron start
/etc/init.d/cron enable

I hope I have not missed anything ;-)

bazemak wrote:

Installed like I write before only one concern, I have 8 clients associated with my router all of them is woking perfect except one my experia arc s with android ice 4.x.x the connection is keeping reconnecting actually is dropping all the time. I try to change channels and standard from b,g,n didn't help. Anybody have similar issues

Get a decent phone like samsung, sony sucks and have been sucking very much since the audio cd virus scandal, cracking LCDs scandal, they have never admitted their mistake, not to mention leaked CC numbers. Maybe this is yet another their scandal, I keep away form sony, it's evil company.

I agree with you! BTW I downgrade my Sony form ICS 4.1.B.0.587 to GB 2.3.4 and now the phone is connecting normal and the connection is stable.
Thanks,

nozombian wrote:
bazemak wrote:

Get a decent phone like samsung, sony sucks and have been sucking very much since the audio cd virus scandal, cracking LCDs scandal, they have never admitted their mistake, not to mention leaked CC numbers. Maybe this is yet another their scandal, I keep away form sony, it's evil company.

Please help me!
I have a router:
Model No - TL-WR841ND Ver.8.0 (on the back label).
Firmware Version: 3.13.27 Build 120802 Rel.51024n (control panel).
Hardware Version: WR841N v8 00000000 (in the Control Panel).
I want to set this model alternative firmware.

Therefore, I beg you. Write detailed installation instructions, such as "How To".
Give a link to the appropriate version of the firmware, etc.
Reading the threads on various forums, I'm confused, and realized that the firmware update from the control panel is not enough.
Need to produce more kakieto manipulation.

I beg you to help.

blqs12 wrote:

Please help me!
I have a router:
Model No - TL-WR841ND Ver.8.0 (on the back label).
Firmware Version: 3.13.27 Build 120802 Rel.51024n (control panel).
Hardware Version: WR841N v8 00000000 (in the Control Panel).
I want to set this model alternative firmware.

Therefore, I beg you. Write detailed installation instructions, such as "How To".

I'm no expert, but it was quite easy. v8.2 and v8.0 have the same hardware, so I think you can go ahead. Any real expert correct me if I'm suggesting a recipe for disaster (which I don't think ;-) Here's what I did:

bassman wrote:

Replying to myself: TP-Link WR841N v8.2 works perfectly with the release suggested by y.yumu!
I flashed it easily from the web interface.

blqs12 wrote:

What is kakieto?

bassman wrote:

What is kakieto?

Some boards will write that in this model the web interface, you need to manually install the console. This is what I meant "what is manipulation" (kakieto manipulation).
Sorry. I take a translator. Since it is not very well speak English.

(Last edited by blqs12 on 29 Jan 2013, 18:30)

Dear experts. Tell me, is it possible to put the firmware recommended above for my device?
How to find out what features are present in this firmware?
Because the size of their different (compared with other devices)?

@blqs12
All I can say is: it worked for me (TL-WR841N v8.2), no problem at all.

BUT in "Barrier Breaker 35174" linked above by nozombian there is no LuCi (no web interface), so you will need to telnet/ssh to your router and make "kakieto manipulation" with the following commands:

opkg update
opkg install luci

On the contrary, this version (a little older) has full web interface (LuCi OK) and worked out of the box (immediately):

I hope this helps, I don't think anybody can tell you more than this... you have to decide if you want to take the risk smile

Hello, I took the plunge and tried to build OpenWRT myself! I am working in a virtual ubuntu box. I did all the steps, svn (trunk 35414), feeds etc, installed some missing packages (libcurses etc), make menuconfig and make. OK, no errors.

Now in trunk/bin/ar71xx I have the following files:

md5sums
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-nbg460n_550n_550nh-u-boot.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-rootfs.tar.gz
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs-64k
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-gzip.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-initramfs-gzip.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-initramfs-lzma.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.elf
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.gz
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs.elf
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs.gz
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs.lzma
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs-lzma.elf
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.lzma
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-lzma.elf
OpenWrt-ImageBuilder-ar71xx_generic-for-linux-i486.tar.bz2
OpenWrt-Toolchain-ar71xx-for-mips_r2-gcc-4.6-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2.tar.bz2
packages
uboot-ar71xx-nbg460n_550n_550nh

Is one of these files ready to flash to the TL-WR841N via web interface (sysupgrade)?
I don't want to brick it now after compiling OK smile

(Last edited by bassman on 31 Jan 2013, 13:45)

bassman wrote:

Is one of these files ready to flash to the TL-WR841N via web interface (sysupgrade)?
I don't want to brick it now after compiling OK smile

I don't know you can use one of these, but it looks like you forgot to select the target system and target profile in make menuconfig, otherwise you should have bin file with your router name and version in the filename right now. Be sure to select target system atheros AR7X/AR9x and target profile your device TL-WR841N/ND. Then run make again and you will have image ready to flash, same as those as I have posted.

If you want to use channels 12,13 you need to check checkbox force atheros drivers to respect users regdomain in kernel modules / wireless drivers / kmod-ath / configuration (in make menuconfig).

If you are running openwrt already, use sysupgrade command to flash new firmware and use the one with -sysupgrade in filename.

I don't use luci web interface, because it eats a lot of flash space, which can be used for other packages.  I found it much easier to edit config files than using web interface! smile Not everything can be managed using luci by the way...

Happy compiling and flashing wink

(Last edited by nozombian on 31 Jan 2013, 14:56)

Thanks for your help, nozombian.
Yes, I figured out about regdomain myself with a little bit of searching.

I did select Target=Atheros AR7xxx/AR9xxx, Subtarget=Generic and Target Profile=TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND. Target Images=squashfs and tar.gz. I have run make several times after manually deleting the bin/ar71xx directory, but I've never obtained a -squashfs-image-factory.bin or -squashfs-image-sysupgrade.bin.

There must be something I'm missing, but I don't know what...

Additional notes

LuCI: I like to have it it, at least while I learn to configure OpenWRT quickly and correctly. I managed to fit it in with opkg, so now it is installed along with the packages included in your Barrier Breaker build (which is what I'm currently running).

Your Barrier Breaker build has problems on only one of the two identical routers that are running it - it is a minor problem, likely related to the regdomain issue: I can't select transmit power above 18 dBm (63 mW), no matter which country is selected. The other router gets to 21 dBm. Mysteries...!

(Last edited by bassman on 31 Jan 2013, 17:54)

It seems correct. If the files are not created, maybe make exited with some error(s)? You can try to run make V=s to see what exactly went wrong, I got error like insufficient disk space in virtual box, sometimes it was lost internet conenction, sometimes i needed to make clean, make dirclean or make distclean.

Interesting that you can set different power with same build, but different piece of router. I wasn't able to get over 18dBm with tplink wr741nd too, for a long time. 27dBm worked for me only with some ancient build and hacked regulatory.bin, which cannot be used in more recent builds, they have probably blocked it somehow.

@blqs12
And for everyone interested.

NEW FIRMWARE for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.x

Here is a new OpenWRT build for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.2. It works OK. It should work with v8.0 too, because they have the same hardware. Version is trunk r35421 (Barrier Breaker). This build includes LuCI (the web interface).

If you have the original factory firmware in your router, flash the file with "factory" in the filename. If you already have OpenWRT and only want to update, flash the file with "sysupgrade" in the filename. You can do that from the web interface in both cases.

Factory: http://www.fastshare.org/download/openw … _35421.rar

Sysupgrade: http://www.fastshare.org/download/openw … _35421.rar

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Newer version found here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 36#p196336

(Last edited by bassman on 26 Mar 2013, 22:45)

@nozombian

I don't know what my problem with make was, but it gave no errors, exiting happily - but no image files! However, after a make distclean and make download, the build worked. Maybe I should have defined a target before make defconfig. The instructions on the openwrt wiki are not always consistent. It took quite some time to redownload all the toolchain stuff, but now it's so easy to rebuild! smile

I included the regdomain hack in my build, but it still doesn't work as expected. Just the same as before, with two identical TL-WR841N's acting different. I suspected it was an issue with LuCI, so I edited /etc/config/wireless, but it doesn't  help either. Maybe future releases will address this issue? At the moment it is not a big problem for me, because I have several routers placed around the house, and there's only a room (mostly unused) where the signal isn't strong enough. I do hope someone solves the problem though.

P.S. I wrote a separate, shorter post about the successful build so that more casual users aren't confused.

(Last edited by bassman on 1 Feb 2013, 18:47)