OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Flashing TP-Link TL-WR703N, help please

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey everyone.
I just bought a TL-WR703N and I'm really keen to flash it with OpenWRT, but I've never done something like this before so all of the documentation pages that I have read are a little bit confusing.

The page for the router itself http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n says that it only supports several variants of a thing called Trunk. Cool.

I hunted around in the download page, but there does not seem to be a thing called trunk? So I scoured the router page again, and saw that in the boot log they were using attitude adjustment. Cool. I went through the download page again and clicked what I assume was the correct firmware by selecting the Ar7 chipset, however on this page I was greeted by about 100 .bin files http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … /generic/. Right, what the hell do I do with these?

So I went to the guide for installing OpenWRT http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.flashing which told me to install "the OpenWRT firmware image". Right, which one?

So hunted around and found this page http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtain.firmware which told me to download a preassembled image file from the downloads page. Right, which one?

So I found this page that told me to download one of the images from backfire? http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtai … e.download

What's the difference between backfire and attitude adjustment? Are they different versions of OpenWRT? Is this the same as trunk?

I'm sure your documentation makes a lot of sense to router hackers and geniuses like yourselves but It's very difficult to follow for someone like me with a moderate level of linux and router knowledge who just wants to flash their router.

tl;dr: if someone could just give me a link to the firmware file that I need to upload to my router that would be fantastic.

Thanks

(Last edited by methyleneprince on 16 Nov 2012, 07:40)

I agree that the current documentation is more developer-oriented than user-oriented, and this is a shame.

You just missed the right link in the TL-WR703N router page: it is in the "Flashing" section, you should take the squashfs-factory.bin file.

____________________________________________________________________________________
This is the short story. But if you are curious to understand why it is so complex, read on, here are some clues!

The different OpenWrt firmware versions are organized into a development tree, where the "trunk" is the latest, bleeding-edge version, and former stable releases are forming branches that forked from trunk at one point back in time. Each branch continues to grow, as bugs are found and corrected.

Having the firmware organized in such a version-control tree allows to retrieve any version/subversion at any point in time during the development, and it is of course very convenient. The version-control system mainly used by OpenWrt is "Subversion" or svn for short.

In order to make it clearer to refer to (at least for developers!), each major branch (including trunk) receives a "nickname": for trunk, it is currently "Barrier Breaker", and the latest branch that forked from trunk recently (in October 2012) is "Attitude Adjustment", then older ones are "Backfire", "Kamikaze" and "White Russian", as described in the history page.

Unless you want to do some bleeding-edge development or your router is not supported by an existing stable branch, you'd rather avoid using the "trunk" version, as it may not be stable at all and is also not very user-friendly (no web admin interface by default).

As it supports your TL-WR703N router, I strongly suggest to use the "Attitude Adjustment" branch, which has been forked from trunk in October 2012, but is not yet release as there  are still some bugs in it, so we are currently at beta 2 version here: http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … .09-beta2/

Unlike OS desktop systems, operating systems for network devices are supporting a large choice of incompatible hardware processor architectures, this explains the number of directories in the link above. The processor for the TL-WR703N is the "ar71xx" (and not "ar7" like in your previous link), and for this processor, there are 2 Flash memory organizations: either "generic" or "nand": for the TL-WR703N, it is "generic": http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … /generic/.

Now for the 100s files in this directory... Again because of differences in hardware, each device needs a specific firmware file, incompatible with firmware files for other routers, even if they are using the same processor, so the ones you are interested in are prefixed with "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-": you are down to a choice among 4 files!!!

OpenWrt uses 2 main Flash disk organizations: one which contains a read-only "squashfs" partition and a read-write "jffs2" partition that "overlays" on top of the "squashfs" partition, and one which only contains a single "jfsf2" read-write partition. This is done for safety reasons, the first one offering a secure fall-back system when you misconfigure your router or erase some important things, so I would recommend to use the "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-" rather than "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-jffs2-" files.

Down to a choice among 2 files: there is one file suitable for upgrade from the original manufacturer-supplied factory firmware, and one suitable for upgrade from an already installed OpenWrt device. Depending on the device, they may be radically different, but in the case of the TL-WR703N router, they are almost identical, the first one being equivalent to the second one with only extra padding at the end to be compatible with the original TP-Link firmware upgrade procedure. So here is eventually the file you need: http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Let me know if you need further assistance to install the firmware onto the router.

(Last edited by Squonk on 16 Nov 2012, 08:36)

methyleneprince wrote:

Hey everyone.
I just bought a TL-WR703N and I'm really keen to flash it with OpenWRT, but I've never done something like this before so all of the documentation pages that I have read are a little bit confusing.

The page for the router itself http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n says that it only supports several variants of a thing called Trunk. Cool.

I hunted around in the download page, but there does not seem to be a thing called trunk? So I scoured the router page again, and saw that in the boot log they were using attitude adjustment. Cool. I went through the download page again and clicked what I assume was the correct firmware by selecting the Ar7 chipset, however on this page I was greeted by about 100 .bin files http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … /generic/. Right, what the hell do I do with these?

wr703n is "ar71xx" family, not ar7.
If you read carefully in http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n you will find that.
And that page(wiki) has already included proper download link of the image(firmware).
You probably overlooked.

attitude_adjustment :  (called AA)
http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin

trunk:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin

Trunk used all latest modules codes etc., and untested.
AA maybe more stable, so you better use it.

openwrt will turn your little router into pure Linux environment,
so it will need some little computer and linux knowledge,
otherwise it is hard to understand what is it doing.
That's why the wiki doc. looks like developer oriented.
For me, I've read it couple times in order to understand it.

Ugh thank you both, this has been very helpful C: Can't believe I missed those links.

Just checking: can I still write files and install packages with ipkg if I use the squashfs version? What are the benefits of using the jffs2 version? Do you get slightly more space?

OK, so I just tried to flash the router with openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin; I checked the md5sum and used the webUI update firmware button but I get  the message "update failed" hmm Any tips?

EDIT: The jffs version does not work either.

(Last edited by methyleneprince on 16 Nov 2012, 10:31)

Are you trying to flash from the Chinese web interface?

As you probably read Chinese fluently, make sure you are using the right function wink.

You must click on the last item in the left menu, then on the third sub-item. Be careful, there is another sub-item that looks like the upgrade, but it is in fact a restore parameter option.

Click on the grey "button" right to the text box and select your firmware file, then click on the button at the bottom left.

Click on the "OK" button in the dialog box that pops up to accept the risk.

You will have a progress bar that appears while Flashing takes place, and it can take some time, then the device will reboot automatically.

This should do it.

Squonk wrote:

As you probably read Chinese fluently, make sure you are using the right function wink.

Well actually I'm using the stock version of DD-WRT (build 18740, version 24 sp2) that came with the router, everything is in English and the function I am using is Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Choose File then clicking Upgrade. It just seems like there is no space on the device to store the firmware. I'll try resetting it.

EDIT: Nope neither version of the firmware seems to work on a completely vanilla install. Both of them get to ninety something and then go "Upgrade failed."

(Last edited by methyleneprince on 16 Nov 2012, 10:42)

methyleneprince wrote:

Ugh thank you both, this has been very helpful C: Can't believe I missed those links.

Just checking: can I still write files and install packages with ipkg if I use the squashfs version? What are the benefits of using the jffs2 version? Do you get slightly more space?

Yes, you can write files and install packages with both Flash layouts.

The squashfs layout is using a read-only rootfs squashfs partition, on top of which a jffs2 partition of the size of the remaining space in the 4MB Flash memory is overlaid, using a mini_fo or overlayfs filesystem, see the Flash layout for details.

As a user, it provides a single read-write root partition, but in fact, you access the read-only squasfs files, unless you try to delete/modify them. In this case, all your modifications are stored in the jffs2 partition, masking the original files if the overlayfs is mounted.

As an additional benefit, the squashfs compression is slightly better than the jffs2 compression, so if compiling your own OpenWrt, you'd rather put the maximum number of packages preinstalled on the squashfs partition, by selecting a package withe "Y", rather than"M", that would create an optional package to put on jffs2.

What is nice with this layout is that if you mess up things, you can still go to the "failsafe" mode by pressing the recessed reset button during the boot while the LED is flashing, and you get a telnet available at 192.168.1.1 WITHOUT the overlayfs BUT with a working squashfs.

The failsafe mechanism is also present in the jffs2 layout only, but if you really mesed up things, you may have to go back to a serial console (using a TTL-UART <=> USB adapter) and U-Boot to restore a working config sad

One advantage of the jffs2-only layout though is that you don't duplicate (both in squashfs and jffs2) files in Flash, so it is a better option in the long run if you plan to update packages later.

(Last edited by Squonk on 16 Nov 2012, 10:44)

methyleneprince wrote:
Squonk wrote:

Well actually I'm using the stock version of DD-WRT (build 18740, version 24 sp2) that came with the router, everything is in English and the function I am using is Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Choose File then clicking Upgrade. It just seems like there is no space on the device to store the firmware. I'll try resetting it.

I can't help you on DD-WRT, but if you have a way to restore the original Chinese firmware, then it is quite easy to do.

Why on earth are you trying to flash a "factory" image from dd-wrt ??? Factory means TP-LINK Firmware! dd-wrt is not a factory fw at all!

Go back to stock chinese firmware with this (sticky thread...)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 16 Nov 2012, 11:44)

nebbia88 wrote:

Why on earth are you trying to flash a "factory" image from dd-wrt ??? Factory means TP-LINK Firmware! dd-wrt is not a factory fw at all!

Go back to stock chinese firmware with this (sticky thread...)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237

dd-wrt uses a completely different partitioning schema, see this thread.

Anyway on the TL-WR703N, the factory and sysupgrade files are almost the same, except that the factory file is padded with 0xff up to 0x3c0000, so its header is also adjusted accordingly.

OK, so I reverted back to the Chinese firmware, carefully picked the right option, and uploaded my squashfs image. It seemed to upload the image file no problem but now the router is just frozen with a solid blue light. Not good. What do I do?

Left it going for a while and it didn't change, so I unplugged the power. When it starts up now, the led turns on , flashes a bit then goes back to solid blue. Looks like it's bricked. What happened? I checked the md5 and everything hmm

(Last edited by methyleneprince on 21 Nov 2012, 13:35)

looks like it's working?

tried "telnet 192.168.1.1"?

Hey guys, turns out you were right, I was expecting it to host a wifi network or something out of the box.

Well, I got it working, and I was really happy with it, so I was playing around with all the different interfaces, trying to get it to talk to my router at home so that I could download some packages onto it and I did something stupid so that now I've lost access to the router.

I just assumed that like every other router I've ever played around with, that there would be a hard wired reset to defaults button, however I was wrong.

What I did to lose access to the router was change LAN from bridging eth0 and wlan0 to just over wlan0.

It still broadcasts OpenWRT wifi, and I can connect to that, but even if I manually assign my ip to be 192.168.1.3 and try to ping 192.168.1.1, nothing works. Any ideas? I've tried this: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

(Last edited by methyleneprince on 26 Nov 2012, 15:20)

To get failsafe on the TL-WR703, just unplug/replug the router power cable, then when the LED starts flashing, press on the recessed RESET button using a paper clip.

You should have access to the router in telnet at 192.168.1.1 on the Ethernet jack (failsafe mode).

To reset all parameters to their default config value from there, just enter:

firstboot
reboot -f

read all your words but still don't know what you have done.:|

You have flashed openwrt again, right ?
After fresh flash, and (assume) the router is up, the blue LED should be steady ON, not flashing.

Your wifi is up,
so, you did some settings, right ??

Ok, you have un-bridge eth0 from LAN.
So you just left eth0 connect to nothing ??
(what are u thinking ??)
Anyway, you should able to connect to your 703n through wifi.

Sounds like you have problem going through wifi....
then let's start all over again.
You need to go to Failsafe mode.

Do you know how to trigger the Failsafe mode ?
- power off, then power on your 703n
- when you see the blue LED start flashing, press the Reset button now!
   (no need to keep presssssing)
- the blue LED is now flashing in high speed
- set you PC IP to 192.168.1.2 or 3 or anything other than [1]
- plug your 703n to your PC
- try ping 192.168.1.1
- if pingable, telnet to it
- run [mount_root], then [rm -r /overlay/etc]
- run [reboot -f]

I flash LinkDuino image openwrt-ar71xx-linkduino-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin to my tl-wr703n router from https://github.com/Squonk42/LinkDuino/t … /12.09-rc1 . after restar I cant connect to router. Please help me.
Log files:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2013.09.12 22:55:02 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Mar 18 2013 - 17:36:20)

AP121 (ar9330) U-boot

DRAM:  32 MB
led turning on for 1s...
id read 0x100000ff
flash size 4194304, sector count = 64
Flash:  4 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   ag7240_enet_initialize...
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
: cfg1 0x5 cfg2 0x7114
eth0: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
ag7240_phy_setup
eth0 up
: cfg1 0xf cfg2 0x7214
eth1: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
athrs26_reg_init_lan
ATHRS26: resetting s26
ATHRS26: s26 reset done
ag7240_phy_setup
eth1 up
eth0, eth1
Autobooting in 1 seconds
## Booting image at 9f020000 ...
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

[    0.000000] Linux version 3.3.8 (mstempin@Mikeul) (gcc version 4.6.3 20120201 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.6-2012.02) ) #2 Thu Nov 22 13:10:51 CET 2012
[    0.000000] bootconsole [early0] enabled
[    0.000000] CPU revision is: 00019374 (MIPS 24Kc)
[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9330 rev 1
[    0.000000] Clocks: CPU:400.000MHz, DDR:400.000MHz, AHB:200.000MHz, Ref:25.000MHz
[    0.000000] Determined physical RAM map:
[    0.000000]  memory: 02000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
[    0.000000] Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd
[    0.000000] Zone PFN ranges:
[    0.000000]   Normal   0x00000000 -> 0x00002000
[    0.000000] Movable zone start PFN for each node
[    0.000000] Early memory PFN ranges
[    0.000000]     0: 0x00000000 -> 0x00002000
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 8128
[    0.000000] Kernel command line:  board=TL-WR703N console=ttyATH0,115200 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd
[    0.000000] PID hash table entries: 128 (order: -3, 512 bytes)
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.000000] Primary instruction cache 64kB, VIPT, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
[    0.000000] Primary data cache 32kB, 4-way, VIPT, cache aliases, linesize 32 bytes
[    0.000000] Writing ErrCtl register=00000000
[    0.000000] Readback ErrCtl register=00000000
[    0.000000] Memory: 29156k/32768k available (2084k kernel code, 3612k reserved, 397k data, 208k init, 0k highmem)
[    0.000000] SLUB: Genslabs=9, HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS:51
[    0.000000] Calibrating delay loop... 265.42 BogoMIPS (lpj=1327104)
[    0.080000] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.080000] Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
[    0.090000] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.090000] gpiochip_add: registered GPIOs 0 to 29 on device: ath79
[    0.100000] MIPS: machine is TP-LINK TL-WR703N v1
[    0.350000] bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
[    0.360000] Switching to clocksource MIPS
[    0.360000] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    0.370000] IP route cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.370000] TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.370000] TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.380000] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
[    0.390000] TCP reno registered
[    0.390000] UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.400000] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.400000] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    0.430000] squashfs: version 4.0 (2009/01/31) Phillip Lougher
[    0.430000] JFFS2 version 2.2 (NAND) (SUMMARY) (LZMA) (RTIME) (CMODE_PRIORITY) (c) 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
[    0.440000] msgmni has been set to 56
[    0.440000] io scheduler noop registered
[    0.450000] io scheduler deadline registered (default)
[    0.450000] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[    0.460000] ar933x-uart: ttyATH0 at MMIO 0x18020000 (irq = 11) is a AR933X UART
[    0.460000] console [ttyATH0] enabled, bootconsole disabled
[    0.480000] m25p80 spi0.0: found en25q32b, expected m25p80
[    0.480000] m25p80 spi0.0: en25q32b (4096 Kbytes)
[    0.490000] 5 tp-link partitions found on MTD device spi0.0
[    0.490000] Creating 5 MTD partitions on "spi0.0":
[    0.500000] 0x000000000000-0x000000020000 : "u-boot"
[    0.510000] 0x000000020000-0x0000000fe524 : "kernel"
[    0.510000] mtd: partition "kernel" must either start or end on erase block boundary or be smaller than an erase block -- forcing read-only
[    0.520000] 0x0000000fe524-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs"
[    0.530000] mtd: partition "rootfs" must either start or end on erase block boundary or be smaller than an erase block -- forcing read-only
[    0.540000] mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
[    0.550000] mtd: partition "rootfs_data" created automatically, ofs=3A0000, len=50000
[    0.550000] 0x0000003a0000-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs_data"
[    0.560000] 0x0000003f0000-0x000000400000 : "art"
[    0.570000] 0x000000020000-0x0000003f0000 : "firmware"
[    0.590000] ag71xx_mdio: probed
[    0.590000] eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4
[    1.150000] ag71xx ag71xx.0: eth0: connected to PHY at ag71xx-mdio.1:04 [uid=004dd041, driver=Generic PHY]
[    1.160000] TCP cubic registered
[    1.160000] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[    1.160000] 8021q: 802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8
[    1.170000] VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly on device 31:2.
[    1.180000] Freeing unused kernel memory: 208k freed
- preinit -
Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
- regular preinit -
[    6.740000] JFFS2 notice: (409) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr subsystem, 1 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 14 of xref (0 dead, 2 orphan) found.
switching to jffs2
- init -

Please press Enter to activate this console. [    8.790000] Compat-drivers backport release: compat-drivers-2012-09-04-2-gddac993
[    8.800000] Backport based on wireless-testing.git master-2012-09-07
[    8.810000] compat.git: wireless-testing.git
[    8.890000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[    8.890000] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[    8.900000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[    8.900000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.910000] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.920000] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.930000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.930000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    9.230000] SCSI subsystem initialized
[    9.370000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    9.370000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    9.380000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[   10.040000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9330 Rev:1 mem=0xb8100000, irq=2
[   10.050000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
[   10.050000] cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
[   10.060000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[   10.060000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2700 mBm)
[   10.070000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 1700 mBm)
[   10.080000] cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   10.090000] cfg80211:   (5490000 KHz - 5600000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   10.090000] cfg80211:   (5650000 KHz - 5710000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   10.100000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 3000 mBm)
[   10.640000] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[   10.890000] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[   11.010000] NET: Registered protocol family 24
[   11.040000] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[   11.050000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: Generic Platform EHCI Controller
[   11.060000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[   11.090000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
[   11.110000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[   11.110000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[   11.110000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[   11.240000] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (458 buckets, 1832 max)
[   11.590000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   11.780000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[   11.780000] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
[   11.910000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[   11.920000] USB Serial support registered for generic
[   11.920000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[   11.930000] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[   12.050000] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[   12.050000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   12.060000] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[   12.180000] USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[   12.180000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[   12.190000] ftdi_sio: v1.6.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
[   12.210000] fuse init (API version 7.18)
[   15.070000] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
[   16.840000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[   16.850000] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[   16.850000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[   16.860000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.870000] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.880000] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.880000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.890000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   18.650000] device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
[   18.740000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   18.750000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   20.750000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2012-11-22 12:37:13 CET) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_____   __         __     _____         __             
|     |_|__|.-----.|  |--.|     \.--.--.|__|.-----.-----.
|       |  ||     ||    < |  --  |  |  ||  ||     |  _  |
|_______|__||__|__||__|__||_____/|_____||__||__|__|_____|
---------------------------------------------------------
LinkDuino Autoerotic Antling 12.11
Based on OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment Beta 2 (r34185)
---------------------------------------------------------
root@TP-LINK_CBB788:/# ifconfihg
br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:E6:E4:CB:B7:88 
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:402 (402.0 B)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:E6:E4:CB:B7:88 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:4

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:16320 (15.9 KiB)  TX bytes:16320 (15.9 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:E6:E4:CB:B7:88 
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:420 (420.0 B)

root@TP-LINK_CBB788:/# dmesg
[    0.000000] Linux version 3.3.8 (mstempin@Mikeul) (gcc version 4.6.3 20120201 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.6-2012.02) ) #2 Thu Nov 22 13:10:51 CET 2012
[    0.000000] MyLoader: sysp=388dd517, boardp=04505212, parts=7709ac36
[    0.000000] bootconsole [early0] enabled
[    0.000000] CPU revision is: 00019374 (MIPS 24Kc)
[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9330 rev 1
[    0.000000] Clocks: CPU:400.000MHz, DDR:400.000MHz, AHB:200.000MHz, Ref:25.000MHz
[    0.000000] Determined physical RAM map:
[    0.000000]  memory: 02000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
[    0.000000] Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd
[    0.000000] Zone PFN ranges:
[    0.000000]   Normal   0x00000000 -> 0x00002000
[    0.000000] Movable zone start PFN for each node
[    0.000000] Early memory PFN ranges
[    0.000000]     0: 0x00000000 -> 0x00002000
[    0.000000] On node 0 totalpages: 8192
[    0.000000] free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat 802cc0d0, node_mem_map 81000000
[    0.000000]   Normal zone: 64 pages used for memmap
[    0.000000]   Normal zone: 0 pages reserved
[    0.000000]   Normal zone: 8128 pages, LIFO batch:0
[    0.000000] pcpu-alloc: s0 r0 d32768 u32768 alloc=1*32768
[    0.000000] pcpu-alloc: [0] 0
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 8128
[    0.000000] Kernel command line:  board=TL-WR703N console=ttyATH0,115200 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd
[    0.000000] PID hash table entries: 128 (order: -3, 512 bytes)
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.000000] Primary instruction cache 64kB, VIPT, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
[    0.000000] Primary data cache 32kB, 4-way, VIPT, cache aliases, linesize 32 bytes
[    0.000000] Writing ErrCtl register=00000000
[    0.000000] Readback ErrCtl register=00000000
[    0.000000] Memory: 29156k/32768k available (2084k kernel code, 3612k reserved, 397k data, 208k init, 0k highmem)
[    0.000000] SLUB: Genslabs=9, HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS:51
[    0.000000] Calibrating delay loop... 265.42 BogoMIPS (lpj=1327104)
[    0.080000] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.080000] Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
[    0.090000] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.090000] gpiochip_add: registered GPIOs 0 to 29 on device: ath79
[    0.100000] MIPS: machine is TP-LINK TL-WR703N v1
[    0.350000] bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
[    0.360000] Switching to clocksource MIPS
[    0.360000] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    0.370000] IP route cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.370000] TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.370000] TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.380000] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
[    0.390000] TCP reno registered
[    0.390000] UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.400000] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.400000] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    0.410000] PCI: CLS 0 bytes, default 32
[    0.430000] squashfs: version 4.0 (2009/01/31) Phillip Lougher
[    0.430000] JFFS2 version 2.2 (NAND) (SUMMARY) (LZMA) (RTIME) (CMODE_PRIORITY) (c) 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
[    0.440000] msgmni has been set to 56
[    0.440000] io scheduler noop registered
[    0.450000] io scheduler deadline registered (default)
[    0.450000] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[    0.460000] ar933x-uart: ttyATH0 at MMIO 0x18020000 (irq = 11) is a AR933X UART
[    0.480000] m25p80 spi0.0: found en25q32b, expected m25p80
[    0.480000] m25p80 spi0.0: en25q32b (4096 Kbytes)
[    0.490000] 5 tp-link partitions found on MTD device spi0.0
[    0.490000] Creating 5 MTD partitions on "spi0.0":
[    0.500000] 0x000000000000-0x000000020000 : "u-boot"
[    0.510000] 0x000000020000-0x0000000fe524 : "kernel"
[    0.510000] mtd: partition "kernel" must either start or end on erase block boundary or be smaller than an erase block -- forcing read-only
[    0.520000] 0x0000000fe524-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs"
[    0.530000] mtd: partition "rootfs" must either start or end on erase block boundary or be smaller than an erase block -- forcing read-only
[    0.540000] mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
[    0.550000] mtd: partition "rootfs_data" created automatically, ofs=3A0000, len=50000
[    0.550000] 0x0000003a0000-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs_data"
[    0.560000] 0x0000003f0000-0x000000400000 : "art"
[    0.570000] 0x000000020000-0x0000003f0000 : "firmware"
[    0.590000] ag71xx_mdio: probed
[    0.590000] eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4
[    1.150000] ag71xx ag71xx.0: eth0: connected to PHY at ag71xx-mdio.1:04 [uid=004dd041, driver=Generic PHY]
[    1.160000] TCP cubic registered
[    1.160000] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[    1.160000] 8021q: 802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8
[    1.170000] VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly on device 31:2.
[    1.180000] Freeing unused kernel memory: 208k freed
[    3.410000] Registered led device: tp-link:blue:system
[    6.740000] JFFS2 notice: (409) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr subsystem, 1 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 14 of xref (0 dead, 2 orphan) found.
[    8.790000] Compat-drivers backport release: compat-drivers-2012-09-04-2-gddac993
[    8.800000] Backport based on wireless-testing.git master-2012-09-07
[    8.810000] compat.git: wireless-testing.git
[    8.890000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[    8.890000] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[    8.900000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[    8.900000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.910000] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.920000] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.930000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    8.930000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[    9.230000] SCSI subsystem initialized
[    9.370000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    9.370000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    9.380000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[   10.030000] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x0
[   10.030000] ath: EEPROM indicates default country code should be used
[   10.030000] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
[   10.030000] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x3a
[   10.030000] ath: Country alpha2 being used: US
[   10.030000] ath: Regpair used: 0x3a
[   10.040000] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[   10.040000] Registered led device: ath9k-phy0
[   10.040000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9330 Rev:1 mem=0xb8100000, irq=2
[   10.050000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
[   10.050000] cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
[   10.060000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[   10.060000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2700 mBm)
[   10.070000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 1700 mBm)
[   10.080000] cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   10.090000] cfg80211:   (5490000 KHz - 5600000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   10.090000] cfg80211:   (5650000 KHz - 5710000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   10.100000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 3000 mBm)
[   10.640000] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[   10.890000] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[   11.010000] NET: Registered protocol family 24
[   11.040000] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[   11.050000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: Generic Platform EHCI Controller
[   11.060000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[   11.090000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
[   11.110000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[   11.110000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[   11.110000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[   11.240000] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (458 buckets, 1832 max)
[   11.590000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   11.780000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[   11.780000] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
[   11.910000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[   11.920000] USB Serial support registered for generic
[   11.920000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[   11.930000] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[   12.050000] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[   12.050000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   12.060000] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[   12.180000] USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[   12.180000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[   12.190000] ftdi_sio: v1.6.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
[   12.210000] fuse init (API version 7.18)
[   15.070000] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
[   16.840000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[   16.850000] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[   16.850000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[   16.860000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.870000] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.880000] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.880000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   16.890000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[   18.650000] device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
[   18.740000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   18.750000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   20.750000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state

probably same as ver. 1.7 ethernet "bug"? must use AA-rc2 or newer..

maybe is posible sysupgrade through the serial port, or reinstall network module?

uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=0; uci commit wireless; wifi

this to enable wifi, then connect to it and you can sysupgrade wink

wifi works, thanks :-)

But the ethernet port does not work. Everything works with the version  http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin .
What is the name and where to download the Arduino package? (It appears after you install linkduino sysupgrade)

(Last edited by alvydas on 15 Sep 2013, 07:56)

The discussion might have continued from here.