OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Upgrading Flash chip in TL-WR702N

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I want to upgrade my flash chip to change my firmware to OpenWRT but I'm just not sure how to copy the current firmware over. I've opened up the case, and found the chip at the bottom side of the PCB. I'm ordering the Eon EN25Q64. It's 8MB so it should be fine. I just don't know how to copy the firmware of the old chip to the new chip. I haven't desolder anything yet, just asking for information.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28343 seems to be a relevant topic but these guys already have linux installed while I still have the Chinese firmware installed. How would you go onto upgrade the flash chip?

On a relevant note, WR702N has an empty USB space on the PCB. I guess it's identical to the USB-A in the WR703N. When should I solder in the USB plug, before or after upgrading to OpenWRT? (assuming I can change the flash chip)

If you haven't got a programmer, use the method shown by griguolcomerranas in the link you posted.
As to when to add the usb socket: I would do one step at a time, that way if the unit doesn't work you can narrow down the source of the problem.

The discussion might have continued from here.