OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OTP for guest WLAN

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everyone,

has anyone ever tried to implement a one-time password for a guest WLAN as to offer Internet connection and LAN resources to friends?  This is different from a separated guest WLAN because my idea is to allow my friends to have access to my SmartTV as to share their pics.

My proposal is to have a second WLAN (guest) with an alphanumeric, random, and not-so-long password which changes every time the AP is switched on.  From the private WLAN (protected with a strong password), I can visit a web page on the AP and tell my friend the random password to connect to the guest WLAN.  Once my friend is connected, they have full access to my private LAN and Internet connection.

If nobody has never made an attempt, I think I can make it with your help guys, even though I don't know LUA (I'm a senior programmer).  And hopefully I will share it here and on the wiki.

Alternative solutions and suggestions are also welcomed.

After some thoughts, I'm convinced the way to go consists in enabling WPS.  Even though WPS is vulnerable by brute-force attacks, the one-time-password feature I want the system to have makes the guest LAN stronger.  If this wouldn't be enough, the WPS's PIN method can be disabled.

My next step was to replace wpad-mini with wpad+hostapd-util, as described here.  The problem is that the following command doesn't work because wps_pbc is unknown.

root@OpenWrt:~# hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 wps_pbc

Any idea?

lorcap wrote:

The problem is that the following command doesn't work because wps_pbc is unknown.

root@OpenWrt:~# hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 wps_pbc

Any idea?

I think I found the reason in this post.

My hostapd-utils package was compiled for Backfire 10.03.1 and brcm63xx.

The discussion might have continued from here.