OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Attitude Adjustment (12.09-beta)

The content of this topic has been archived between 19 Apr 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

The OpenWrt Team is happy to announce the beta release of Attitude Adjustment (12.09)

This release is sligthly overdue, but it is now ready for testing.

The binaries are available here:
    http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … 2.09-beta/

These are the beta binaries. We will not be merging anything new into trunk until we think that the binaries have had enough test coverage and potential bugs have been fixed. Once that stage is reached, we will branch and generate the final release binaries. We expect this process to take between 2-4 weeks.

EOL Notice for brcm-2.4:
Kernel 2.4 support has been dropped from Attitude Adjustment. For most devices using brcm47xx images is fine, but older models with only 16 MiB RAM or slower CPUs (200 Mhz) will not run properly with it. So for those devices, sticking with backfire is recommended.

Whats new in AA ?
Target specific improvements:
* [ar71xx]:     support for more ar71xx devices
* [ramips]:     support for Ralink devices
* [bcm47xx]:    better support and image for Broadcom BCM4705 SOCs
                        Support for serial flash in brcm47xx
                        Fix out of memory when using wifi on BCM5354
* [lantiq]:         Almost complete Lantiq SoC support
                        New Asterisk channel driver for Lantiq TAPI
* [x86]:           sysupgrade support

General improvements:
* Improved LuCI interface
* Switch to the netifd infrastructure for better network configuration support
* Fixed Imagebuilder, relocatable SDK
* Full (?) eglibc support
* Release support for bridge firewalling
* Vastly improved ath9k driver stability and performance
* Dependency fixes for packages
* More iptables addons, improved netfilter performance
* Experimental support for 5 and 10MHz channels in ath5k and ath9k
* Support for 6RD configuration
* Experimental crashlog feature to track kernel oopses
* Reduced space requirements and improved squashfs/kernel compression
* Various package improvements and updates

Known issues that will get fixed during the beta phase:
* the new ramips switch driver seems to cause problems on some boards
* somehow vr9 images are not properly generated
* 11b/g atheros units might have gpio problems due to the new gpiolib driver

OpenWrt is a project based on a consensus decision model amongst the core team developers. With over 1000 binary packages, the Attitude Adjustment release is the biggest to date.

These 1000+ packages have the inherent problem that they need to be maintained. As the name of the release already suggests things are in a process of adjusting. The main change is that the developer group has arrived at the mutual agreement, that the packages feed is too much bloat for the project to carry around. This massive set of packages causes the developers not to have enough time for the core of OpenWrt. The result is: The package feed is not being maintained in a way that ensures the required quality.

OpenWrt receives up to 20 new packages and updates every day. It is simply not possible for the core developers to test this constant stream of additions (beyond a basic compile test). In response to this, it has been decided that only packages with a dedicated maintainer will be supported. These maintained packages will be moved into the main repo, which has a set of clear guidelines as to what is merged under which conditions. OpenWrt will no longer merge anything and everything that is sent on one of the many channels that can be used for contributing.

We hope that by this split of maintained and unmaintained packages will benefit everyone. If you want to help by dedicating some of your time into maintaining a package - and/or merging patches - then please contact a member of the core developer team.

The next big change is that we will no longer accept patches via trac. Please only file bug reports there. All patches contributed via trac will be closed without discussion. If you want to contribute use the openwrt-devel mailing list.

We already agreed on the roadmap for the upcoming AA+1 release which we expect to finish around christmas time.

The planned roadmap includes:
* Kernel v3.6 - this has cool new stuff such as the removal of the routing cache ...
* Improve core integration and push the netfid / ubus concept to extended parts of the system
* Port as many targets to the DeviceTree framework as possible
* Further work on IPv6, bufferbloat, ...
* Lantiq VDSL support
* Optional SSP+PIE+PaX support
* Rearrange the packages, as described above
* Other cool things we can come up with

Please start testing and help us make this release a good one :-)

The OpenWrt Release Team

Is the Linksys e3200 also supported in this new beta version?

Hello. Needless to say I'm a big fan of OpenWRT... I'm very excited about AA smile

I used to run OpenWRT on a DLINK DIR-615 D3 which recently died. Blessed with a couple months of warranty left I got a replacement unit (DIR-615 H1).
Since then I'm waiting for OpenWRT to support that device. And now since the AA beta contains support for ramips devices I wonder if you are going to support Ralink's RT3352 at some point.

wapper wrote:

It seems so! 12.09beta is r33312!
It's a matter of digging the infos out!

(Last edited by uqbar on 5 Sep 2012, 19:47)

uqbar wrote:
wapper wrote:

It seems so! 12.09beta is r33312!
It's a matter of digging the infos out!

There's no e3200 support in attitude adjustment due to the still missing ethernet driver (or any of the newer linksys devices).

How is that possible that it is missing? tomato and dd-wrt is working but both firmwares are bad tongue, the only thing that is not working on tomato and dd-wrt is the 5Ghz usb driver.

So driver for ethernet switch and 2.4Ghz wifi must be around somewhere.

Thanks Guys, finaly the wan Interface of my Tp-Link WR1043ND is able to get an ip from DHCP.

Great Work!

wapper wrote:

How is that possible that it is missing? tomato and dd-wrt is working but both firmwares are bad tongue, the only thing that is not working on tomato and dd-wrt is the 5Ghz usb driver.

The ethernet driver couldn't be used for legal reasons, as the driver wasn't open source until very recently. dd-wrt has the driver licensed; no idea about tomato. The wifi driver used by dd-wrt is also closed source, therefore unavailable for OpenWrt.

While the ethernet went open a few weeks ago, it still needs to be adapted to the current linux kernel, and the linux kernel version of bcm47xx. OpenWrt does not use the original broadcom codebase for bcm47xx but one rewritten according to kernel standards, so it can't just use the driver. tomato and dd-wrt do use the broadcom codebase, therefore they could just use the driver.

Long story short, it won't be in 12.09, but hopefully in the release after that. And that release will not take another two years ;-).

KanjiMonster wrote:
wapper wrote:

The ethernet driver couldn't be used for legal reasons, as the driver wasn't open source until very recently. dd-wrt has the driver licensed; no idea about tomato. The wifi driver used by dd-wrt is also closed source, therefore unavailable for OpenWrt.

While the ethernet went open a few weeks ago, it still needs to be adapted to the current linux kernel, and the linux kernel version of bcm47xx. OpenWrt does not use the original broadcom codebase for bcm47xx but one rewritten according to kernel standards, so it can't just use the driver. tomato and dd-wrt do use the broadcom codebase, therefore they could just use the driver.

Long story short, it won't be in 12.09, but hopefully in the release after that. And that release will not take another two years ;-).

Ah ok, we will see, hope openwrt sonn support it.

Could someone please tell me which image in the atheros folder is the correct one for the Netgear wndr3700 ?

Relentless wrote:

Could someone please tell me which image in the atheros folder is the correct one for the Netgear wndr3700 ?

None.
The WNDR3700/3800 images are in the ar71xx folder...
http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … x/generic/

(You probably need either a squashfs-factory image for initial install or a squashfs-sysupgrade for upgrading an existing Openwrt)

(Last edited by hnyman on 6 Sep 2012, 12:01)

Great work!
The roadmap looks delicious, too...

I'm gonna do some testing, especially regarding ath9k performance and stability as well as the new channel settings. smile

Running the beta for 1day and 2 hrs on wndr3700v2 runs GREAT nice work guys, no problems so far,  hope Eric makes a gargoyle build with this bad boy

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 6 Sep 2012, 13:49)

hnyman wrote:
Relentless wrote:

None.
The WNDR3700/3800 images are in the ar71xx folder...
http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … x/generic/

(You probably need either a squashfs-factory image for initial install or a squashfs-sysupgrade for upgrading an existing Openwrt)

Thanks hnyman

Thanks for your work guys wink

blogic wrote:

The next big change is that we will no longer accept patches via trac. Please only file bug reports there. All patches contributed via trac will be closed without discussion. If you want to contribute use the openwrt-devel mailing list.

The OpenWrt Release Team

Those already sent are valid?

Thank you for the status update and info regarding the roadmap.

Is the Belkin N300 HD (F7D3301 or F7D7301, Broadcom BCM4716) or the Belkin N600 HD (F7D8301,  Broadcom BCM4323) supported in this release? If so, which binary would I use? I have both routers and really want to install OpenWRT on them.

Thanks everyone for all the hard work you have put into this great project.

saidiadude wrote:

Is the Belkin N300 HD (F7D3301 or F7D7301, Broadcom BCM4716) or the Belkin N600 HD (F7D8301,  Broadcom BCM4323) supported in this release?

No, for the same reasons as the linksys e3200 is not supported. All newer Broadcom based devices aren't supported yet (BCM4716 and higher, BCM5356 and higher).

Excellent job, as always!

Just in case you missed it, I've added DG834Gv2 boot logs to the following ticket: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11771
Bit of a hosed switch config as well as well as observed stack traces.

Upgrade went smoothly, using old configuration works well.

The new status info on WiFi-clients is pretty sweet!
Also, usb ath9k-devices now seem to support WiFi N-Mode... smile

You did a great job...!

The beta is r33312?
Today I compiled the r33335 from the trunk, is it beta too? Or are the beta sources apart of the trunk sources?

Is there no branch for AA12.09beta in svn tree? Or trunk is AA?

dabyd64 wrote:

The beta is r33312?
Today I compiled the r33335 from the trunk, is it beta too? Or are the beta sources apart of the trunk sources?

fisherwei wrote:

Is there no branch for AA12.09beta in svn tree? Or trunk is AA?

trunk revision r33312 is the beta. There is no separate branch yet, there will be one for the final version.

So how 'not recommended' is this for a classic WRT54-GL?  The 2.6 kernel version of Backfire runs ok if you aren't doing anything exotic but the wireless signal quality sucks.  I see images for AA up for this router so can I assume it is at least safe to test it without a serial console?

Thanks to all developers.
Really excited and testing this beta.
Let's hope we get the 9654 bug ironed out before this release goes final.