OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WDR4310 v1.0 First Steps

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

yeah, it would be nice if someone made it smile

Mercury(Mercurycom) and FAST(FastCom) are  two subcompanies  of  TP-Link in china?So Mercury MW4530R =TP-Link WDR4310 .
I have bought a Mercury MW4530R,and made some tests with prebuilt TP4310 trunk image in Mercury MW4530R.
The images of TP-Link WDR4300/4310 from www.tp-link.com also can be used in Mercury MW4530R?
Most of the functions in trunk image of Openwrt and TP-Link are working properly,but the reset/wps button are not working ,and multiwan/nwan in openwrt also have some bugs.

There are some pictures and informations about Mercury MW4530R ?
http://www.right.com.cn/forum/thread-84672-1-1.html
http://www.right.com.cn/forum/thread-88895-1-1.html

I think Mercury MW4530R also can be easily supported by OP?the method is the same as TP-Link WDR4310
But the head signature of MW4530R is 4530 ,as follow:
http://www.right.com.cn/forum/thread-85038-1-1.html

(Last edited by wuwentao on 20 Jul 2012, 06:45)

Hello!

Thx to all suppliers which are developing it for the 4300.

My question is, on the back of the device there is a WLAN on/off Switch. It would be nice, if this could be realized in OpenWRT and prebuild-openwrt-image.

Thx
Jousch

Some people have advised me not to go for the WR1043ND , but to wait for the WDR4300, if i wanna make a file server and torrent downloader. But ANother user said that his DLINK 815, which is faster, freezes while downloading torrents on OpenWRT, so does this mean the WDR4300 won't be enough either? .. neutral Am iI waiting in vain?

Well the wr1043nd isn't really good for that. It can handle some torrent and samba, but don't expect too much. (just don't forget to give it swap-space or it will really freeze from running out of memory)
The wdr4300 can take much more punishment, but it's still a router. That said, if you don't have 50Mbps+ bandwith and don't want to run 20+ torrents, then it's quite capable. (again don't forget swap or you might get instant freeze)

I'm considering buyin a WDR4310.
how is the wireless performance with openwrt ? 
also about the switch,
1.is vlaning supported ? 
2.according to this ticket

jozsig2ATg-mailDOTcom wrote:

Openwrt (AVG / MAX) /basic firewall+contrack, everything unnecessary was stopped/

WAN-LAN: ~340 / 360

LAN-WAN: ~410 / 425

Simultaneous ~350 / 380

is this with the nating of or on ?

(Last edited by ashkanull on 11 Aug 2012, 15:41)

from the numbers above i see it's more than you'll probably get in the normal lifetime of this device

Anybody check the jumbo frame support on the LAN ports?

Regards,
Tom

Could somebody please tell me which PINs are the RS-232 GND, RX, TR on the PCB?
I managed to brick my 4300 with a customly built image file. sad

I guess the bootloader is still there because I didn't try to alter that. But the ethernet recovery didn't seem to work.

I struggle with my USB-RS232 adapter (I accidentally ordered a very stupid one), and I am not an expert with the serial consoles, so I could use some help (like the PIN layout, so I don't need to figure that out by myself...).

janos666:

ldpinney wrote:

Board Photos  : http://www.chiphell.com/thread-383664-1-1.html
In the second Photo to the right of the CPU is the Serial Port.
The bottom round hole is 3.3vdc next one up is ground (right next to J1) the upper most are Rx and Tx
115200 N,8,1

Yes, I tried all kinds of "press the button" recovery methods.
I guess either my image was broken (may be I left out some important stuff from the package) or it was a "random flashing accident".
I only hope that the bootloader is still functioning. It feels seriously broken.
Is something really wrong with this build config? http://pastebin.com/pDf5TYNs

ldpinney wrote:

Board Photos  : http://www.chiphell.com/thread-383664-1-1.html
In the second Photo to the right of the CPU is the Serial Port.
The bottom round hole is 3.3vdc next one up is ground (right next to J1) the upper most are Rx and Tx
115200 N,8,1

Thank you.

No surprise I couldn't figure out the RS232 pin layout. My old CA-42 is broken. I had to order a new one.
I tried to connect the RX and TX pins (both from the adapter) but I couldn't see an echo in the console.

hawk-eye77 wrote:

No lamps are blinking at all. Sorry for stupid question, but is it totally harware problem (no visible problems on PCB) or there's a little chance to bring him to life by flashing thru COM...

Same here. Power LED only. I hope to get it re-flashed via TFTP (using the serial connection).

(Last edited by janos666 on 31 Aug 2012, 11:31)

Got bricked 4310 from Panda... No lamps are blinking at all. Sorry for stupid question, but is it totally harware problem (no visible problems on PCB) or there's a little chance to bring him to life by flashing thru COM... Reshipping is about $30 that's why I'm trying to get other ways. Please help, Pros!!!

My Power LED never were ON ;(

I currently own a 1043 with openwrt and a d-link 855 with its default firmware. I'm using the d-link as the wifi is so much faster with its dual band 5ghz support but I absolutely HATE that d-link. It needs to reboot with virtually every change I make and the GUI is just complete crap IMO. Its the most expensive but also the worst router I've ever had.

Anyways, the 1043 was almost perfect except that I now want vpn support for my ipads and dual band wifi.

Could someone tell me whether the 4300 has vpn support? I remember in the past routers were advertised with vpn support but I never saw the need for it, now that I want it I can no longer find it?

Thanks!

PS. It was just pointed out to me that OpenVPN is available and I've been reading the wiki documentation on that. Doesn't it have any hardware requirements or does it possibly use hardware if thats available for cryptography?

(Last edited by inflatablemouse on 1 Sep 2012, 09:58)

i already have l2tp/ipsec on my 1043 - if you want i can share my build
as for openvpn you can set it up on any openwrt supported hardware.
only requirement is to have enough flash space to install the package and it's dependencies.

Thanks, I went ahead and bought the 4300, its running OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment r33288 / LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn9190), Bootstrap theme, OpenVPN 2.2.2-2 (trunk+svn9190-1).

Not sure why but wifi is ~10mbit slower than with the default tplink firmware.

inflatablemouse wrote:

Thanks, I went ahead and bought the 4300, its running OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment r33288 / LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn9190), Bootstrap theme, OpenVPN 2.2.2-2 (trunk+svn9190-1).

Not sure why but wifi is ~10mbit slower than with the default tplink firmware.

I went back and forth between OpenWRT and the TP-Link firmware (3.13.23 Build 120810 Rel.44064n) and the difference over 5Ghz is consistently 12mbit slower with Openwrt (28 against 40).

I'm measuring with a New iPad using SpeedTest app (from speedtest.net) ~3 meters away from the router.

I also noticed that I have slower 2.4Ghz speeds with the WRD4300 + OpenWRT.
I can't make 5Ghz comparisons as my old router didn't have 5Ghz radio. But the current 5Ghz speed looks fine to me.

What is troubling that one of my laptops with an Atheros Lite-N 150Mbps WiFi card achieved ~11Mb/s data with old router (DIR-615 Rev B) but this speed decreased to ~8Mb/s with this new one (WRD4300 + OpenWRT).
I guess nobody would except this. The funny thing is that this router also uses Atheros chipset (just like my laptop WiFi card) unlike my old router. So everything seems promising but the result is far from perfect.

I get ~100Mbps (routed net) on the 5ghz wifi ~3 meters away with an intel wifilink 5100 adapter

Hello together,

i had the same bad luck after i have changed some network settings and rebooted the WDR4300.
I can see some packets during boot of the router on 192.168.1.1 and after that nothing more.

No possibility to login once again sad(

I've checked the recovery method with the reset button, but this don't work sad

Is there any chance to default any settings without opening the router?

Any chance to get in recovery mode via usb or something else?

And before my faulty network settings i tried to get this router running with vlan id 7 on the wan port, but i had no luck with any setting.
Is this VLAN feature really working with this model?

Any kind of help is very welcome!
Thx in advance.

cheers
Ben

I have recently purchased WDR4300 and the hardware revision is V1.2, is it supported or is it going to be supported?