OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: The broadcom chips can run linux, could they become a computer?

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Some of the broadcom router chips have a MIPS processor comprable to a pentium, a PCI bus and a USB port. Could one take the router design, put on more memory (both flash and dram), (say 64 MB each), attach a vga chip to the PCI bus and include its VGA out and the USB 1.1 from the broadcom chip? Would a simple window manager be able to run on such a small system?

Does anyone know of any plan or product for something like this? I hear about system on chips that can run linux and stuff, but why no mini-uber cheap computers?

From an engineering (or geek) point of view, it might be possible, but from an economical one, it will not be feasible. You better check out some of the VIA Epia mainboards, or AMD's Geode platform.

One of the profs at MIT is working on a $100 laptop (mainly for kids).

If you want an uber cheap computer, get an old computer and make yourself a thin version of linux (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org). You can have a nice P400-800Mhz for less than $100. Most of the routers that are sold have speeds of 100-200Mhz and they are not suitable for regular use (its like going back to your 1993 PC).

I have used a cheap computer! Dell Optiplex GX270 which meets my  needs at a great price! I think It would be choose.  This system is powered by an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and 1 GB of DDR RAM, powerful enough for simple home and office tasks. Install your favorite applications and save critical data to the 40 GB hard drive.Install more software with the CD drive! Integrated Intel graphics and AC'97 audio chipsets add value while leaving room for expansion! Connect to high-speed networks and the Internet with integrated Gigabit Ethernet LAN! Just add the monitor, keyboard and mouse and you're ready to compute!
for more please visit this website: http://www.gearxs.com/computers/Dell-Op … GB-HDD-SFF

(Last edited by gearxstech on 29 Aug 2012, 18:26)

The discussion might have continued from here.