OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: setting up download and file server

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the world  of OpenWRT/DD WRT and the possibility to set up a low power download and file server with these. But I need further help.
I have decided to purchase a Netgear WNDR 3800 and a Seagate GoFlex Home 1TB Gigabit NAS to set up a download and file server. I am new to Linux AND networking and need to confirm that it is possible to achieve what I want with above mentioned hardware. Is OpenWRT capable of running a fully working Torrent client that supports DHT, peer exchange and magnet link? WillI get good ftp and http downloader in it? Can I install a good enough web browser in it that will support major file sharing sites?
Also, I want to download directly to NAS. Is it possible?  I also want  WiFi, and printer and scanner sharing. Does the latest build of OpenWRT for that router support printer and scanner sharing and is wifi working?
I need all these functions to be practically usable without maintenance for the investment to be worthwhile. For extra software installation, I can insert a usb thumb drive in the hub or use the NAS instead if supported.
Please respond whether this whole setup is possible  or not. I'll need  your approval before I actually buy the hardware.

Ok I have understood the response to my post. This is why I hate linux. It is a DIY os. I have to spend the money, figure everything out myself. One thing I know already, no GUI browser here. so only direct links will work. Downloading to NAS is theoretically possible, but practically not sure.

(Last edited by sbcontt on 28 Aug 2012, 15:56)

good day everyone..enjoy your stay here..

The discussion might have continued from here.