OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link's Range of Portable Wireless Routers (TL-WR)

The content of this topic has been archived between 22 May 2015 and 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Lennong wrote:
betalin wrote:
valentt wrote:

I didn't quite understand you. So you managed to get openwrt working on wr710? How? Can you please give more datailed info.

If more people like me also can get openwrt to work on 710 then we can work together more easily and fix issues like one you have with only one lan port working.

Cheers,
Valent.

I mean i've use the WR710n board to boot WR703n's 4MB flash(since i've upgrade my 703 to 8MB, i've a 4MB flash for free, which has 703's openwrt in it).
thanks to Lennong, i'll try it.

I would connect something "alive" to the two network ports, then use relevant Busybox/Linux command to print out the switch port assigned, then edit out the ones not used in /etc/config/network under switch sections. That would clean up the switch menu in Luci as well.

i use a rom for WR740n v5 and it runs OK, including both ethernet port.  system tell me that it has eth0 eth1 and eth0.1(vlan).
i shotcut r66 and changed the ram to 64MB,  but it can only recognize 32M(shows 29M)

betalin wrote:
Lennong wrote:
betalin wrote:

I mean i've use the WR710n board to boot WR703n's 4MB flash(since i've upgrade my 703 to 8MB, i've a 4MB flash for free, which has 703's openwrt in it).
thanks to Lennong, i'll try it.

I would connect something "alive" to the two network ports, then use relevant Busybox/Linux command to print out the switch port assigned, then edit out the ones not used in /etc/config/network under switch sections. That would clean up the switch menu in Luci as well.

i use a rom for WR740n v5 and it runs OK, including both ethernet port.  system tell me that it has eth0 eth1 and eth0.1(vlan).
i shotcut r66 and changed the ram to 64MB,  but it can only recognize 32M(shows 29M)

Hmm, .."shotcut r66 and changed the ram to 64MB". I'm not sure I understand. Did you short something? In any case should the 64MB be detected without any mod.

@Lennong:
I unsoldered the 4M flash rom from 703n.  Copied the content to an 8M flash and soldered it to the board.  It booted fine.  Openwrt recognized the 8M flash rom just fine.  Then I flased an 8M build to it and everything works fine.  As simple as that.
I am not sure sure how difficult to replace ram so never really tried it.

Edit: Need to copy art partition to the right place.  Otherwise, wifi will not work. (3/23)

(Last edited by twinclouds on 24 Mar 2012, 06:51)

I have TP Link WR703N and ZTE MF190 3g modem. I put a 2gb microsd card on ZTE modem. Ext4 fs and swap on micro sd. I run openWRT on WR703N with 1.86 GB free space and including programs like midnight commander, gnokii for sms sending and recieving from 3g sim. When I have a free time I will write how I did that in my blog.

@madanadam: just curious: I had some heavy problems getting an extroot *on* a 3g-stick (internal microsd) working stable (703/3020/3420) -> I guessed due to the modeswitch?
Would be nice if could just confirm a working combination of Stick/Box/Trunk-version to see what went wrong here wink

Michael

At first boot extroot doesn't works I guess because of delayed usb sd initialization. after reboot command it works.

MR3020 is good router too !
It is a little bit bigger than 703N,
it has 5 leds, and also has 4MB flash and 32MB ram.

Now I use MR3020 to serve my wifi devices, and 703N as STA client connect to my TV for wireless DLNA service.
that 703N also as relay repeater to extend my wifi converage.
And they are using 40M bandwidth to achieve 150Mbps connection.  (actual data throughput is lower)

703N and MR3020 are also ar71xx family so that supported in openwrt trunk.
today latest build is r31340.
Meanwhile r31345 is currently compiling.

(Last edited by johan666 on 19 Apr 2012, 10:15)

madanadam wrote:

I have TP Link WR703N and ZTE MF190 3g modem. I put a 2gb microsd card on ZTE modem. Ext4 fs and swap on micro sd. I run openWRT on WR703N with 1.86 GB free space and including programs like midnight commander, gnokii for sms sending and recieving from 3g sim. When I have a free time I will write how I did that in my blog.

Excellent! We are very interested in this. Please post a link to your blog when you write it up.

johan666 wrote:

Now I use MR3020 to serve my wifi devices, and 703N as STA client connect to my TV for wireless DLNA service.
And they are using 40M bandwidth to achieve 150Mbps connection.  (actual data throughput is lower)

The TP-Link WR842ND is another unit based on the same chipset, but has 8MB of flash available instead of 4MB.

It is a conventional router box style with two removable antennas, five Ethernet ports, USB and runs from 12V.

tlg wrote:
johan666 wrote:

The TP-Link WR842ND is another unit based on the same chipset, but has 8MB of flash available instead of 4MB.

It is a conventional router box style with two removable antennas, five Ethernet ports, USB and runs from 12V.

Which version of the router are you talking about?  From here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr842nd, its chip set is Atheros AR7241.  I think it is not the same as 7240/9331 which 703n uses.

Twinclouds
You are perfectly correct.
The WR703N uses AR7240 CPU (400Mhz) and  AR9331 wireless chipset 
while the WR842ND uses AR7241 and AR9287.
My bad.
Still a nice unit for OpenWrt use.
T

tlg wrote:

Twinclouds
You are perfectly correct.
The WR703N uses AR7240 CPU (400Mhz) and  AR9331 wireless chipset 
while the WR842ND uses AR7241 and AR9287.
My bad.
Still a nice unit for OpenWrt use.
T

I am glad we are on the same page.  Just an oversight.
There is a very interesting router wr743n which uses the same chip set as 703n/741nd v4 and has the 3g USB port.  Unfortunately, it is only available in China.  I try to get one to see if I can install it 703n openwrt on it, or recompile one.  It is different from the 743nd US version.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 21 Apr 2012, 17:30)

WR720N.....Perhaps this one could be supported the factory firmware is 3.4MB
http://www.tp-link.cn/pages/download-detail.asp?d=846
I'll go order one now and post the results when I get it open.....

(Last edited by ldpinney on 26 Jun 2012, 04:45)

ldpinney wrote:

WR720N.....Perhaps this one could be supported the factory firmware is 3.4MB
http://www.tp-link.cn/pages/download-detail.asp?d=846
I'll go order one now and post the results when I get it open.....

Hi, did you manage to upgrade it with openwrt?

i have reveived mine a week ago from China and would like to configure it in a different way

twinclouds wrote:

@Lennong:
I unsoldered the 4M flash rom from 703n.  Copied the content to an 8M flash and soldered it to the board.  It booted fine.  Openwrt recognized the 8M flash rom just fine.  Then I flased an 8M build to it and everything works fine.  As simple as that.

Edit: Need to copy art partition to the right place.  Otherwise, wifi will not work. (3/23)

Can you please explain how do you copy art partition in the right place?

valentt wrote:
twinclouds wrote:

@Lennong:

Can you please explain how do you copy art partition in the right place?

I used a flash programmer to read from and write to the flash.  First, save the 4M content to a binary file.  Then I extended the file content to 8M using an Hex editor such as HxD.  For ART, it is at the end of the flash layout.  Thus, for 4M it is at 0x3f0000 to 0x3fffff and 0x7f0000 to 0x7fffff for 8M.  I simply moved the content in the block 0x3f0000 to 0x3fffff to the block 0x7f0000 to 0x7fffff and reset the content in 0x3f0000 to 0x3fffff to all ff.  Finally, use the programmer to write the content of the 8M file to the 8M flash.  Hope it is clear now.
You can find out more about the flash layout information in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/flash.layout.
Good luck

Good News:

Quote from TP-Link Support Germany via e-mail question:

"Der TL-WR710N(EU) 1.0 hat ein Speicher Flash-8MB und 32MB-RAM. Beim Händler müssen Sie diese Modell Nr. suchen TL-WR710(EU) 1.0"

my translation into english:
"The TL-WR710N(EU) 1.0 is having a flash memory with 8MB and 32MB RAM. Ask your vendor for the TL-WR710(EU) 1.0 model."

Has someone bought already this model and is running openWRT on it?

---------------

I received today a TP-Link WR710N(EU) Ver 1.2

flashed istantly a trunk snapshot onto it.
Firmware Version OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r38541 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9931)

and seems to work without any problems.

updated wiki http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr710n

(Last edited by cave on 28 Oct 2013, 22:33)

people of the forum, I'm trying to install openwrt
and do not get it if anyone can help me?
I have a TP-Link WR710N EU this version U-Boot 1.1.4 (19 April 2013 - 15:56:20) AP121 (ar9330) U-boot DRAM: 32 MB
I follow all the steps is indicated and I get this message NOT FOUND and not step here would be very grateful if someone helps me.
THANKS

The discussion might have continued from here.