Topic: Is USB tethering possible using an Android phone?

Hi Everyone,

Is USB tethering possible using an Android phone. If it is please let me know what packages and configurations are needed.

Thanks,

Re: Is USB tethering possible using an Android phone?

you need the usbnet kmod. once that is loaded, attach the phone, point "network.wan" at usb0 and set proto to dhcp.

3 (edited by written_direcon 2012-07-27 16:09:34)

I'll give it a try later today and write a Wiki page if I get it working with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and newest Android!

4 (edited by Orca 2012-07-27 17:34:12)

Knock yourself out. Both directions are possible. PC using smartphone's connection is called "Tethering" and smartphone using PC's connection is called "Reverse Tethering" or "Internet passthrough".

OpenWrt Wiki: USB tethering with OpenWrt

OpenWrt Wiki: USB reverse tethering with OpenWrt also known as OpenWrt Wiki: USB internet passthrough with OpenWrt

I've made a HowTo with HTC Evo4G some time ago. Galaxy Nexus should be similar. You'll need to look up your Galaxy USB device ID.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=29967

Hi,
On Tp Link WR703N, I've install openwrt attitude adjustement r32910 firmware, and tethering packages : kmod-usb-core, kmod-nls-base, kmod-usb-net, kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether, kmod-usb-net-rndis, kmod-usb-ohci, kmod-usb-uhci, kmod-usb2, by the way also 3g paskages: comgt, kmod-usb2, kmod-usb-ohci, usb-modeswitch, usb-modeswitch-data, sdparm, luci-proto-3g.
When i connect my phone USB0 is recognize and I installed a wan interface with dhcp client protocol by usb0.
If I ping via diagnostics or I do a traceroute it's OK but I can't access Internet with the browser connected by wifi or lan.
Firewall is set to default on lan mode
I must be missing something,
Any idea what?

I updated the Wiki page USB Tethering with OpenWrt with detailed instructions. I tested this with my Android Ice Cream Sandwitch 4.0.3 Samsung Galaxy Nexus Smartphone.