OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-MR11U direct FW web upgrade with MR3040 /Chinse to English/

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Apr 2018 and 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm uploading this because someone could find it useful, it's not directly retailed to OpenWRT, but it happened because of OpenWRT community and great guys behind it!

If you use this FW update you AGREE to bear all responsibility if you brick your router!

This is original ( official FW update for MR3040 http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/downl … n=V1#tbl_j) just modded header and checksum to be able to update it form original Chinese Web interface of MR11U!

It will change your language form Chinese to English and it will change your router form MR11U to MR3040 wink, so you will be able to update ( hopefully )  with next offical MR3040 FW update for hardware v.1

I have only HARDWARE version 1 of MR11U, so I can not tell whether or not will work for MR11U HW v.2, most likely will not be able to update over web!

[s]I tested only basic ( Router mode - DHCP WAN+ WiFi WPA2) functionality so I can not confirm that all functions are working![/s] 
Look  -> Edit two

MR11U - default IP is: 192.168.1.1 after this FW update default IP will become: 192.168.0.1 for MR3040, user name and password are admin/admin default ones.

Before_Update.jpg
After_Update.jpg
How to get to FW update page if you do not read Chinese:

There is two firmware inside the archive one for updating MR11U (MR11Uv1_CH_to_MR3040v1_EN_3_12_11_up(120328)_webflash.bin) and second one Revert_Back_form_MR3040_EN_to_MR11Uv1_CH_Webupdate.bin to get back your Chinese interface if you want to go back to your MR11U original FW!
Firmware MR11U Chinese to MR3040 English Webupdate

TL-WR703N hw v.1.5 Chinese firmware MOD to MR3020N v.1 English

Hack with OpenWRT!

Edit one: Updated Links

Edit two: Added the same MOD but for TL-WR703N v.1.5 Chinese - flashed to MR3020N v.1 English, ( side effect LED does not behave like in WR703, but will light on only if you connect 3G Modem! Everything else seems to work!) 
Router IP address after flashing for WR703N will change it's default IP address form 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.254 - user-name and password are: admin/admin as default ones.
After reverting back to Chinese, the IP and WiFi name are kept, does not revert back! If you want to revert to default ones restart the router using "reset" button.
Revert_Back form Chinese to English is also included!

Tested functions On modded MR11U tested almost all functions - till now everything is working as desired like in the Chinese interface! Including tested two types of ZTE 3G modems. The only side effect till now is 3G LED flashing in '2S period' without 3G modem connected, with modem connected 3G LED light as designed.

Probably flashing original MR3040 v.1 and MR3020 v.1 (with Revert_Back...bin) will do the same - change the WEB administration interface - language form English to Chinese, but I have no these so I can not confirm that it will work!

I'll probably not use this ORIGINAL TP-Link firmwares because they lack many functions that I desire, also both my MR11U and WR703N are modded with 8M Flash and 64MB RAM, so with original firmware I can not make use of this upgrades! But with OpenWRT I can smile!

Edit three: Updated firmware links

MR11U
WR703N

(Last edited by mveplus on 24 May 2012, 00:36)

Dear mveplus,

I want to try upgrade my TL-MR11U with MR3040 /Chinese to English/, but the link of "Firmware MR11U Chinese to MR3040 English Webupdate" error (404) web page can not found.
Would you give another link for the firmware?

bensus wrote:

Dear mveplus,

I want to try upgrade my TL-MR11U with MR3040 /Chinese to English/, but the link of "Firmware MR11U Chinese to MR3040 English Webupdate" error (404) web page can not found.
Would you give another link for the firmware?

Yes it looks like they are not publicly accessible? I do not know why? Will look for other place to upload them!
Updated links

(Last edited by mveplus on 9 May 2012, 14:04)

Hello mveplus,

does the firmware v.1.6 for wr703n well.
thanks for answering.

joran

hello,

I've tried and it works very well.

thank you

Hi

I upgraded my TL-MR703N v1.5 using the firmware provided by mveplus successfully.  I now have a TL-MR3020 which thus far works flawlessly.  Have tested some of the more advanced features such as DynamicDNS, etc too. 

Thanks mveplus for the excellent work.  I would also appreciate it if you have the time to briefly explain how the original firmware was modified and which software was used to modify the bin files.  I have other versions of the hardware which I would also like to update to the English interface.  How is the header & checksum modded in the original firmware?

Thanks in advance.

jhbhacker wrote:

Hi

I upgraded my TL-MR703N v1.5 using the firmware provided by mveplus successfully.  I now have a TL-MR3020 which thus far works flawlessly.  Have tested some of the more advanced features such as DynamicDNS, etc too. 

Thanks mveplus for the excellent work.  I would also appreciate it if you have the time to briefly explain how the original firmware was modified and which software was used to modify the bin files.  I have other versions of the hardware which I would also like to update to the English interface.  How is the header & checksum modded in the original firmware?

Thanks in advance.

I'm happy that it works for you! Your version is hw. v.1?

The software is in Chinese , but it's really simple to use, you do not need to see the menus ( they are all in ?????? because of missing Chinese localization)

It's simple to use, open one original firmware, write down the original values lets say TL-WR703N something like that: 07030101 and 0000001, then load the firmware that you want to mod and under there are two fields that you have to write recorded header, and manage to hit apply under it will automatically rewrite the header and checksum.
That's it! But be careful - you can use it even for changing headers of Open-WRT and DD-WRT firmwares, but it's your job to make sure the firmware that you are modding is same or similar hardware - or else you will most-likely manage to flash it but will brick your router!
Then to repair it you will need de/soldering skills and programmer!!! Sometimes u-boot and serial are not sufficient! Because once I overwrite ART partition and could not recover it over serial ONLY with programmer! My router was working but no WiFi!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12258575/TP-LINK_TL-WR700N/TL-MR3020_MOD_TL-WR703_ENG/FirmwareHeaderMod.jpg

TP?????????.exe
Should work also for other Chinese routers like TP-LINK, FAST, Mercury, etc.

Use it at your risk!

Cheers

(Last edited by mveplus on 24 May 2012, 00:23)

Thank you for the information, great work.

joran wrote:

hello,

I've tried and it works very well.

thank you

Thanks Joran I have just got rid of my chinese interface by flashing my v1.6 with the MR3020N kindly posted by mveplus.
Ive been searching for days as with the original firmware I could only get WAN access on mobile devices such as Ipad/Ipod.

With the english MR3020 firmware I now stand half a chance of getting my WAN fully functional with all my devices with maybe a little help.

I purchased the TR703N with intention of connecting to ethernet sockets in hotels to set up a AP for my wireless devices.
I am now testing this principle at home before going live at hotels !!

Results.

WR703N now with MR3020N firmware is connected to my lan via ethernet socket going through my netgear GS108 switch which in turn is connected to my Thomson TG797n router with a wifi range 192.168.2.??

1) Mobile devies (ie Ipad/Ipod) pick up wifi ip address within the default range 192.168.0.??? and work perfectly getting out on the WAN google etc no problems.
2) Laptop which was used to set up the WR703N no displays local access only when connected to the WR703N using wifi but works perfectly when connected directly to my Thomson router using wifi.
3) Laptop which configured WR703N over wifi after flash over cat5 will no longer access 192.168.0.254 although all other devices will and I have checked its connected to the correct SSID for the WR703N and a ipconfig shows the following info from the wifi adapter on the laptop.
192.168.0.101          255.255.255.0             192.168.0.254
I have also tried static addresses with and without gateway but still can longer reach WR703N with 192.168.0.254
3) Laptops not used to configure WR703N also work perfect on WAN and can access WR703N with 192.168.0.254
4) How has the set up affected the laptop used to set the whole thing up.
5) checked ipconfig with fully working laptop and cant see anything which would be causing this to my knowledge

The laptop which I used to configure WR703N and flash firmware is a Acer5535 running Windows Vista Home Professional but the fact that this did the original config with the WR703N over wifi rules out the OS?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me

(Last edited by aabs on 31 May 2012, 21:46)

mveplus wrote:

I have only HARDWARE version 1 of MR11U, so I can not tell whether or not will work for MR11U HW v.2, most likely will not be able to update over web!

I have a hardware version 2.0
And there is a firmware China
TL-MR11U v.2
H-Ver = TL-MR11U v2 00000000 : S-Ver = 3.12.11 Build 120220 Rel.69146n
With it you can do something? I mean to say it in English.
Thank you. And I apologize for my English.
http://freeuploadfiles.com/i7r6o2rk9fox

(Last edited by AlexeyOD on 15 Jun 2012, 12:05)

AlexeyOD wrote:
mveplus wrote:

I have a hardware version 2.0
And there is a firmware China
TL-MR11U v.2
H-Ver = TL-MR11U v2 00000000 : S-Ver = 3.12.11 Build 120220 Rel.69146n
With it you can do something? I mean to say it in English.
Thank you. And I apologize for my English.
http://freeuploadfiles.com/i7r6o2rk9fox

Here you have all that you need to convert MR3040 official firmware to MR11U! ( Hint use the TP...exe software above )
But again if you do NOT have good de-soldering equipment and programmer or serial interface already done, chances to BRICK your router are VERY big! So think three times before you start!

Cheers,

I just got 3G TL-WR720N ( Chinese model - 2 USB ( One standard, one mini for external power, and two LAN/WAN ports + three position function switch ). And this method works too ( FW form MR3040 ) but the only glitch is that second LAN port becomes unusable after the upgrade ( LED also change it's behavior )! Will try to upload dd-wrt (form WR703) on it using the same mode.

fobo wrote:

Hello
I flashed my wr703n with mr3020 firmware. I found the modified firmware on this forum. It wasnt your work but i wanted to ask if you know any way to go back and load the original wr703n firmware?

Best regards

In the first post there is package that you can use to go back (revert) to the original WR-703N firmware form MR one...
Revert link again

I hope that you did not brick it, isn't it?

Transcript form PM

Regards.

Dear Mveplus

Are you sure Revert to Chinese firmware is correct one for 703n ?
When I use your TP???? program to produce english firmware for 703n from original factory 3020 firmware then I get exactly same file as in your archive.
However when I use TP???? to produce "revert to chinese  firmware"  for 703n from original factory 703n firmware then I get file different than yours.

My dilemma:
Let's say I converted 703n to english and later want to upgrade factory firmware or install Openwrt.
Should I revert to chinese first ??
... or can I simply install newer 3020 factory or 3020 squash_factory.bin openwrt firmware on already converted to english 703n ??

Can you please shed some light how you made revert firmware please understand I do not want to brick as I am not good at soldering

etan wrote:

Dear Mveplus

Are you sure Revert to Chinese firmware is correct one for 703n ?
When I use your TP???? program to produce english firmware for 703n from original factory 3020 firmware then I get exactly same file as in your archive.
However when I use TP???? to produce "revert to chinese  firmware"  for 703n from original factory 703n firmware then I get file different than yours.

My dilemma:
Let's say I converted 703n to english and later want to upgrade factory firmware or install Openwrt.
Should I revert to chinese first ??
... or can I simply install newer 3020 factory or 3020 squash_factory.bin openwrt firmware on already converted to english 703n ??

Can you please shed some light how you made revert firmware please understand I do not want to brick as I am not good at soldering

Hi Etan,

What you mean by different than mine? Define different? It depends on with version of original firmware you use? This is for hardware version 1.6!
Yes I'm sure in the archive files are tested by me both CH->EN WR703_CH_MR3020Nv1_EN_up(120320)_Webflash.bin, and EN->CH Revert_Back_EN_MR3020Nv1_to_CH_WR703Nv1_webflash.bin, and working.

Your dilemma: it's better to revert back to Chinese version and then flash OpenWRT fw! I have not try to flash it with OpenWRT over modified version!

I'm sharing my toughs no warranty whatsoever, please think twice before you proceed. I'll not bear any responsibility, for bricking your device

Cheers

Hi mveplus!

I'm very glad to find this post - I was wondering have you had any success in converting Mercury products from Chinese to English? The reason is ask is because I have a Mercury MW150R - Right now I want to see if I can switch it out of Chinese mode into English. It looks EXACTLY like this TP-LINK router (rounded chassis): http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr740n in fact I found out that my Mercury MW150R, the TP-LINK WR7409 and FAST <something> are exactly the same! I've tried to use your tool to edit all values (including the long string below 0x40-0x43 but I keep getting this error: ?????18005
????????????? - Any help you can provide will be highly appreciated! I look forward to your response!

(Last edited by weej on 26 Jul 2012, 06:21)

Hi Mveplus

First of all BIG BIG thank you for conversion - I forgot to say this :-)
My only concern was I got different results with TP????
By different I meant result of fc command on the PC :  fc /b firmware1 firmware2
Where firmware1 is firmware from Tplink site converted by me with TP????? program and firmware2 is from your archive.
So:
For 3020 Tplink firmware fc command shows NO differences to WR703_CH_MR3020Nv1_EN_up(120320)_Webflash.bin
For 703n Tplink firmware fc shows differences to Revert_Back_EN_MR3020Nv1_to_CH_WR703Nv1_webflash.bin
I thought can I "produce" revert firmware with TP????? program ?

(Last edited by etan on 26 Jul 2012, 11:42)

Hi mveplus,

i got TL-MR11U V2 router. Unfortunately(since i don't know chinese) it is in Chineese language. I want to upgrade to English MR3040.

Please help me how to that. i don't have any idea how to write/change firmware....is there any direct method(instalable software) to Upgrade it to MR3040 firmware?

I don't know anything uboot or any other firmware related knowledge. Please help me.

thanks in avnance.

Regards,
Ravi Nalla

(Last edited by ravinalla on 6 Sep 2012, 08:08)

Well I have a lil problem that I dont Know Chinese . . . big_smile tongue

and by d way as per the instruction I have downloded the firmware it gives some process also . . .

but nothing happens it's language was Chinese and still it is Chinese . . .

Here !!! can help you i follow this way and success

OpenWrt for TL-MR11U v2

http://uploaded.net/file/2tsiskq1

GUIDE. HOW TO FLASH OEM TL-MR3040 FIRMWARE
Please give me some time to test how it will work, otherwise you are flashing on your own risk
Thanks to Sin for posting firmware file and Lcdx for reupload it to english website.
I have TL_MR11U v2 and was able to flash it to usual TL-MR3040 firmware. Below a short instruction. Files available by link below.
1. Flash from Chinese firmware to OpenWRT

OpenWrt for TL-MR11U v2

http://uploaded.net/file/2tsiskq1  .

2. Login to your router and change root password to enable SSH.
3. Run webserver on your PC and share TL-MR3040 firmware. (Run HFS from archive, Menu - Add files - and choose TL-MR3040 firmware. Copy http adress from string in program )
4. Run putty. Connect to your router by entering router IP adress - default 192.168.1.1 choose SSH, default port is 22. and press Open
5. Login as root. Enter your password.
6. Enter commands "cd /tmp"
7. "wget http://YOUR_PC_IP/FIRMWARE_NAME.bin" (from HFS)
8. "mtd -r write /tmp/FIRMWARE_NAME.bin firmware"
9. Wait a little. Router will reboot and you will be on stock MR3040 firmware. PLEASE NOTE. In MR3040 firmware dafault IP adress is 192.168.0.1

http://depositfiles.com/files/m2vl0lhnw

thanks to johndoe!

(Last edited by nnsltlh on 20 Oct 2012, 15:15)

I think you chaps might be just the people to help me.

I have a 703N with OpenWRT on it (in my attempts to have an English interface).

However I have now found the above (perfect!) and want to remove OpenWRT and put the english 703n to 3020 bin file on the system.

The wireless network is configured

I then SSH into WRT and enter the following

cd /tmp
wget http://IP:8080/firmware.bin (actual IP entered having used my computer IP plus the port configured in QuickShare - HTTP server) , at this stage it seems to time out for some reason despite it working in IE.

sysupgrade -v -F firmware.bin

Does the above seem logical? and any ideas why it times out?

Thanks

Matt

(Last edited by MattM on 12 Nov 2012, 16:10)

today i tried to brick my 703 doing all possible firmware upgrades without serial, but none of them worked..

short story:

stock 703->openwrt trunk for 703->stock 703->upgrade to lastest 703->stock 3020->upgrade to lastest 3020->openwrt AAb2 for 3020->lastest 3020->lastest 703->openwrt AAb2 for 703

long story and used files and methods in a few hours...

great work, thanks.

pls help. i flash the version 1 of the firmware from this (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr11u) to my version 1 mr11u and then after flashing it restarted then i cant connect to my mr11u from my browser and has no wifi... what should i do to try another firmware? sorry newbie here