OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to Wifi as WAN

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Can OpenWrt be configured to make the router work in WAW-mode (Wifi as WAN)?
This means that the router is connected to a Wifi hotspot (for example a public wifi hotspot), and redistributes this signal as it would do with a normal wired WAN connection. So in this configuration the router would not be connected with any wires (except for the power plug). At the same time the router should still act like a router: all computer connected to it should be able to form a home network. It is a bit like what WifiRanger does (www.wifiranger.com).
Is this possible?

Yes, possible with OpenWrt. Look into the Wiki at Client Mode Wireless.

OK, I will read the document. Thank you.

Two more questions:
- do I need a specific router (for example with 2 Wifi antennas (one for the WAN connection and one for redistributing the signal))?
- could OpenWrt be configured in such a way that it chooses automatically the best (strongest signal) available Wifi network from a list of known networks?

wvbesien wrote:

- do I need a specific router (for example with 2 Wifi antennas (one for the WAN connection and one for redistributing the signal))?

Or do I need 2 routers? One router to connect to the Wifi hotspot, and a second to redistribute the signal wirelessly? Or can one router do both at the same time?

The discussion might have continued from here.