OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: UART in WRT54GL after bootup

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I`m a newbie (both linux and openwrt). I have a few questions:

++ I learned that i can access the serial console of the router after openwrt boots up. The question is, how do i access it through a web page ?

My requirement is that i should be able to use wireless internet from this device (coming to it through a LAN, as usual) , and also I should be able to communicate with the fellow devices [say, some kinda microcontroller] connected through the UART in the WRT54GL via the SAME internet connection.

First i want to know if this is possible at all. Could anybody please comment on this ?

that should not be a problem.

Could you please shed some light on how can i access features of the router via the web page ? I mean a rough outline of those things needed to be done ?

I`m a total newbie to networking and stuff, just have some embedded sys and basic linux experience. i`m about to buy ASUS RT N10+ for this purpose.

Thanks in advance smile

To control your routers features through a web page, you need to write a program to run on the router in cgi, php or maybe even lua/luci. So far, I have just some experience in php, but since php and lua/luci run on top of cgi in openwrt. You probably want to run local programs and manipulate files - both should be done by luci, so you may find helpful information in that source code.

Thank you very much MBS. Rest, I`ll figure it out smile

The discussion might have continued from here.