OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700 (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Thank you very much arokh.

You would have earned a V2 or 3800 for all the work you are doing for us WNDR3700-Users. Is there a possibility to make a contribution?

Bruno

Better you donate to the OpenWrt project, they are doing the real work smile

Love love love this special build of OpenWRT for my WNDR3800 - thanks so much for the work!

Apologise if this has been answered numerous times already, but I can't easily find the answer...

What are the differences between the alternate, normal, and fat builds?

Thanks.

where there many changes in the wireless driver? my iPhone barely can connect on 2.4 ghz and hold the connection on the last 4-5 builds.
i am on a wndr3800, and this is my wireless config:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option macaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
    list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-40'
    list ht_capab 'TX-STBC'
    list ht_capab 'RX-STBC1'
    list ht_capab 'DSSS_CCK-40'
    option country 'US'
    option txpower '27'
    option hwmode '11ng'
    option channel '11'
    option htmode 'HT40-'
    option noscan '1'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'ap'
    option wps_pushbutton '1'
    option network 'lan'
    option key 'xxx'
    option wmm '1'
    option ssid 'xxx'
    option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option channel '161'
    option macaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
    option hwmode '11na'
    list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-40'
    list ht_capab 'TX-STBC'
    list ht_capab 'RX-STBC1'
    list ht_capab 'DSSS_CCK-40'
    option country 'US'
    option htmode 'HT40-'
    option noscan '1'
    option txpower '27'
    option distance '20'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio1'
    option mode 'ap'
    option wps_pushbutton '1'
    option network 'lan'
    option ssid 'xxx-xxx'
    option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
    option key 'xxx'
    option wmm '1'

any help is appreciated

ds281 wrote:

Love love love this special build of OpenWRT for my WNDR3800 - thanks so much for the work!

Apologise if this has been answered numerous times already, but I can't easily find the answer...

What are the differences between the alternate, normal, and fat builds?

Thanks.

The normal build contains all the essential software for running a network, and also includes DLNA for streaming and PPTP for VPN access.
Alternate removes PPTP and DLNA and replaces them with LT2P/IPSec (different types of VPN servers), a torrent client, a Usenet client, and vnStat (traffic monitor).  It also contains a traffic inspector.
The fat build contains all of the previously mentioned software.

Normal and alternate builds are small enough to fit on 8MiB of flash, whereas the fat build requires 16MiB of flash (hence its name).

Perhaps I'm a bit slow tonight, but I hadn't updated my build in awhile (3 month's or so) and I was used to configuring minidlna via /etc/minidlna.conf. But I couldn't find that file once I updated to the latest fat version, so I came searching here and came across the post that said minidlna.conf was depreciated by the luci app. That's cool and all, but I don't get any luci config page in the fat build and I don't really want to grab the luci-app minidlna package from the trunk if it has a dependency on the older minidlna that regular backfire builds use, rather than the cvs in the arokh build.

Hope this made sense and someone can point me in the right direction lol.

surtin wrote:

Perhaps I'm a bit slow tonight, but I hadn't updated my build in awhile (3 month's or so) and I was used to configuring minidlna via /etc/minidlna.conf. But I couldn't find that file once I updated to the latest fat version ...

Why don't you use the new config file /etc/config/minidlna that replaced /etc/minidlna.conf functionality?  /etc/config/minidlna is normal text file, editable by any text editor. You don't need Luci.

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/31211 … a/minidlna
Default contens for that: https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/package … lna.config

(And regarding Luci: Backfire uses old Luci 0.10, while trunk (also Arokh's build) uses Luci trunk, where new minidlna module was added 2 motnhs ago.... http://luci.subsignal.org/trac/log/luci … i-minidlna . There is nothing common with "Backfire minidlna")

Yep. Found that a bit later while configuring transmission.

Quick edit: With the latest build I did notice that minidlna no longer serves mkv files as supported to dlna ready devices. Anyone notice this?

(Last edited by surtin on 19 Jun 2012, 19:31)

Since today I need to use the miniDLNA server, for my TV. Now my problem is that some mkv's get discovered automatically instantly, some others do not get recognized at all. I have no clue why, as they do work through the Windows 7 Media Player DLNA server. Anyone got any pointers on it? If there is a better forum place to ask this, please redirect me if you know of it. The problem I have could be Arokh isolated, but it could of course be a more generic problem.

I am using the latest standard build.

EDIT:
If I delete the db file that MiniDLNA makes at first and disable/reenable MiniDLNA through Luci, then it does recognize these files. I have the inotify box checked, so that can't be it, but it has definitely something to do with the scanning and updating the minidlna DB file.

EDIT2:
This is from the logs:

[2012/06/19 22:47:07] minidlna.c:977: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.0-cvs.
[2012/06/19 22:47:07] minidlna.c:366: warn: Creating new database at /mnt/sda1/.minidlna/files.db
[2012/06/19 22:47:07] scanner.c:708: warn: Scanning /mnt/sda1/TV_Series
[2012/06/19 22:47:08] minidlna.c:1020: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2012/06/19 22:47:26] scanner.c:775: warn: Scanning /mnt/sda1/TV_Series finished (6 files)!
[2012/06/19 22:47:26] scanner.c:708: warn: Scanning /mnt/sda1/films
[2012/06/19 22:47:26] scanner.c:775: warn: Scanning /mnt/sda1/films finished (7 files)!
[2012/06/19 22:47:26] playlist.c:125: warn: Parsing playlists...
[2012/06/19 22:47:26] playlist.c:256: warn: Finished parsing playlists.
[2012/06/19 22:52:37] metadata.c:754: warn: Opening /mnt/sda1/TV_Series/Alphas.S01E02.720p.HDTV.x264-ORENJI.mkv failed!
[2012/06/19 22:52:37] scanner.c:532: warn: Unsuccessful getting details for /mnt/sda1/TV_Series/Alphas.S01E02.720p.HDTV.x264-ORENJI.mkv!
[2012/06/19 22:52:37] metadata.c:754: warn: Opening /mnt/sda1/TV_Series/Alphas.S01E02.720p.HDTV.x264-ORENJI.mkv failed!
[2012/06/19 22:52:37] scanner.c:532: warn: Unsuccessful getting details for /mnt/sda1/TV_Series/Alphas.S01E02.720p.HDTV.x264-ORENJI.mkv!

(Last edited by johan81 on 19 Jun 2012, 21:57)

Well, I am certain it is a bug with MiniDLNA, I made a script named "refresh" and put it in the bin folder with the following code:

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright (C) 2006-2011 OpenWrt.org

killall minidlna
sleep 5
minidlna -R -f /var/minidlna.conf

This refreshes the db file, after that all added mkv's I have added are recognized. If you have a large library this will be a hassle, though in my case (I use it mainly to watch TV shows that come out here so darn late) I only have 15 files on it tops. So, every time I have unrared an episode of something downloaded with transmission, I run the refresh script and voilá! I can stream it on my TV.

While this works and isn't that much of a problem in my case, I still think it is a bug with the package. Though I might be wrong of course wink

So, I guess I should make a ticket? Never done that, will try now smile

The package builds minidlna from CVS with no modifications to the code. If there is a bug you'll need to report it to the minidlna project.

arokh wrote:

The package builds minidlna from CVS with no modifications to the code. If there is a bug you'll need to report it to the minidlna project.

That is a great idea of course, and it seems there is a ticket on there already, just added my comment, sorry for clogging up this topic about it.

This is the place where the ticket is for anyone interested:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d … id=1121516

I am very embarrassed with this question. I installed Arokh latest "fat" img on my brand new WDNR3800. I followed the instruction for after install in the docs, but I am stuck at the firewall configuration. Everything seems to be working fine except that I cannot connect to the net from my workstation. I am certain that the router has established the connection to the ISP; it accepted my use name and password and the traffic is showing. I can connect to the router but not the net.  I have searched and  found many hits (far too many in fact) but not yet found a solution. I have not quite got my head around the OpenWRT approach. Not having access to the internet without switching from router to modem, and then vice-versa, to check things out, makes the trying to follow posts against the settings in the router a nightmare.

I would like to be able to open Internet access to the Lan and allow receiving established traffic from the net. simply allowing net traffic that was initiated from the workstation and no limitations put on the workstation connections to the outside. The settings are as per default, except for password etc. Could anyone point me in the right direction. I am past working age, my eyesight is nothing  like it use to be and neither is the fiddling with plugging and unplugging ethernet connections. I am now at page 30 of this forum topic with 92 pages to go, hoping to find a clue.

Really, a pointer would be much appreciated and I will not ask anymore questions until I have answered  some, at least one, in turn, on this forum. That is my undertaking. I just need a bit of progress.  smile

Thanks

(Last edited by MidGe on 21 Jun 2012, 14:38)

MidGe wrote:

I am very embarrassed with this question. I installed Arokh latest "fat" img on my brand new WDNR3800. I followed the instruction for after install in the docs, but I am stuck at the firewall configuration. Everything seems to be working fine except that I cannot connect to the net from my workstation. I am certain that the router has established the connection to the ISP; it accepted my use name and password and the traffic is showing. I can connect to the router but not the net.  I have searched and  found many hits (far too many in fact) but not yet found a solution. I have not quite got my head around the OpenWRT approach. Not having access to the internet without switching from router to modem, and then vice-versa, to check things out, makes the trying to follow posts against the settings in the router a nightmare.

I would like to be able to open Internet access to the Lan and allow receiving established traffic from the net. simply allowing net traffic that was initiated from the workstation and no limitations put on the workstation connections to the outside. The settings are as per default, except for password etc. Could anyone point me in the right direction. I am past working age, my eyesight is nothing  like it use to be and neither is the fiddling with plugging and unplugging ethernet connections. I am now at page 30 of this forum topic with 92 pages to go, hoping to find a clue.

Really, a pointer would be much appreciated and I will not ask anymore questions until I have answered  some, at least one, in turn, on this forum. That is my undertaking. I just need a bit of progress.  smile

Thanks

If you have not changed anything in the firewall, it should work just like that, that is how the Arokh FW is configured out of the box. So it will be a bit tough to help you with this, with the information supplied. If you did change anything to the network/firewall/wireless config, do tell which changes you made!

(Last edited by johan81 on 21 Jun 2012, 17:04)

Hi,

How can I enable channel 13 in the standard builds of Arokh?

Thanks, Eric

Create your own regulatory.bin and put it in /usr/lib/crda, there is a link to a guide on the wiki somewhere. In plain text it should be something like this if your country is US (00 = world):

country 00:
        (2402.000 - 2494.000 @ 40.000), (N/A, 30.00)
        (4910.000 - 5835.000 @ 40.000), (N/A, 30.00)

country US:

Then you run a command on the text file to convert it to regulatory.bin. This will allow all channels and 30dBm output power.

(Last edited by arokh on 21 Jun 2012, 17:42)

Ok, I've been trying to get fully up to speed on this release.  I used to roll my own but it looks like this will pretty much have everything I'm looking for. 

My only question at this point is whether or not the "normal" build still includes netatalk.  I saw some references to it, then it sounded like it was removed, then I saw some more references. 

The thread is over 100 pages long so it's getting hard to keep up!  :-)

Ideally I'd like my router to be able to be used for time machine backups and from what I've read netatalk is the best (only) method.

arokh wrote:

Create your own regulatory.bin and put it in /usr/lib/crda, there is a link to a guide on the wiki somewhere. In plain text it should be something like this if your country is US (00 = world):

country 00:

country US:

Then you run a command on the text file to convert it to regulatory.bin. This will allow all channels and 30dBm output power.

Hi Arokh,

Thanks for your help but my knowledge of Linux is not good enough I can do it by myself.
I live in the EU and we are allowed to use channel 13 but I can't choose the EU or channel 13.
Even when I select JP as a country code which should make also channel 14 as an option the highest channel I can choose is 11.

Is it possible to change the file regulatory.bin in one of your next builds?
If possible so we can choose also channels 13 and 14...

Thanks,
Eric

Netatalk was cut for space reasons. It's available as a package though, you could install it if you have a V2 or extroot. Another alternative is to set up TimeMachine to a sparse bundle disk image through SMB, works well and doesn't need yet another filesharing daemon on the router.

@eric111

I could, but aren't there legal issues with that? Must be a reason it's not done by default?

(Last edited by arokh on 21 Jun 2012, 23:00)

johan81 wrote:

If you have not changed anything in the firewall, it should work just like that, that is how the Arokh FW is configured out of the box. So it will be a bit tough to help you with this, with the information supplied. If you did change anything to the network/firewall/wireless config, do tell which changes you made!

Thank you very much for your reply johan81.

I had a good short sleep and I am now back on this issue.

I had some thought and I thought that perhaps rebooting a few times might fix the problem. I knew it was a long shot but, hey, why not!  Needless to say that did not fix anything.

I then decided to use the absolutely fantastic facilities available through the Luci GUI, and, boy, was I impressed. This is definitely the software for me [Thanks a lot, Arokh]. I did not make any changes to the firewall but to be sure I restored from the backup I made according to the install documentation;  that is the backup, immediately post original install. Again, no resolution.

Upon investigating via the "Status" reporting facilities which had me nearly crying with joy, so impressed I was, I have come to the conclusion that I may have been barking up the wrong tree.  Everything seems the way it should be, all connections seem to have to be able to be working correctly, the firewall rules ought to be working the way I expect and give me a connection to the Internet. So, I am starting to think that the problem may be with my workstation configuration, something I had not given a thought to till now. I am still at a loss as to what the problem may be there.  I have never experienced anything like this.  The system not working by changing the router/or modem when the connection is via Ethernet!? I cannot ping or use any browsers.  I am sure I will find what the problem is, and it will be something of the "Duh, stupid!" sort.  Meanwhile I really thank you again for your reply and willingness to help, johan81. I am looking forward to use OpenWRT, as the promises it has, just allowing me to investigate what this current issue is, are nothing short of amazing.

I am also looking forward to be able to contribute to this project in the future.

Thank you all contributors and specially a big thank you to Arokh.

PS. I will post the solution to my problem here, however embarrassing it may be, when I have it  smile
PPS. If anyone has an idea, please give it to me, just to save me time to be able to play sooner smile

arokh wrote:

Netatalk was cut for space reasons. It's available as a package though, you could install it if you have a V2 or extroot. Another alternative is to set up TimeMachine to a sparse bundle disk image through SMB, works well and doesn't need yet another filesharing daemon.

I'm using Lion, I didn't think that it worked with the sparse bundle trick. Does it?  Ideally I'd like to host the backup on my WHS.

Well, after all, it seems that there is a problem with the OpenWRT installed on my router.

I am still unable to connect to the Internet from any workstation, setup with different Linux O/Ses!

I now think the problem is with the raw install of the "fat" version of this community build of OpenWRT.

The symptoms and what I have done:

1. My previous post indicates that I thought the problem may have been with my workstation setup. However after having endlessly fiddled with the various network/interfaces settings on my workstation. I decided to try with other workstations. I got exactly the same problem. Unable to connect to the Internet. So it does not work for at least three different Linux installs on two different physical workstations (Crunchbang on my main one, and Peppermint and Zenix on the second workstation).

2. I have tried different ports on the router. No joy!

3. I have used the reset to default (including the password, so that worked) and leaving all settings, except password and timezone, as they were following the reset, thus firewall untouched. No joy again!

4. Obviously the workstations can connect to the router I get into the Lucy GUI without problems. All of the Lucy screens (I tried them all, whic made me even keener to get it working), seem to be working and have apparently "reasonable" information.

5. The firewall status does show some traffic in some of the rules, but that maybe traffic initiated from the router (since the traffic is very light after a reset and then no Internet connection).

6. I could not find where the dns information is hiding itself. As it is, my isp provide a dns that is supposedly set automatically with the connection. I have that info or I could use a public dns server but I thought that this ought to have worked out of the box, without adjustment, so I have made no change.

I am, now simply at a loss, stumped and flabbergasted! I would simply love to be able to use OpenWRT and as my router a WNDR3800 is working with stock firmware and with DD-WRT (which I tried before deciding to give OpenWRT a shot), I don't think there is any issue with the hardware.

I am not discouraged and would really like to have this build of OpenWRT working but ... this is taking a long time, rather precious to me, and I have no more idea about what to do. Has anyone got any suggestion on how to move this forward.  Could I give any information that may be useful in resolving this? If so, what is it that is needed.

Thanks in advance to anyone able and willing to help.

It might be the problem indeed, I know Arokh can't use fat builds himself since he only has a WNDR3700V1. The best way to know if the normal build does work is to install the default build and see how that fares. You can always install the added packages on external USB storage using overlay if this works for now. Then you can later install a fixed fat version if that is the problem indeed (which it does sound like after hearing your extensive testing).
That would be the best way to help out to debug in your case.

johan81 wrote:

It might be the problem indeed, I know Arokh can't use fat builds himself since he only has a WNDR3700V1. The best way to know if the normal build does work is to install the default build and see how that fares. You can always install the added packages on external USB storage using overlay if this works for now. Then you can later install a fixed fat version if that is the problem indeed (which it does sound like after hearing your extensive testing).
That would be the best way to help out to debug in your case.

Ok, will try with the normal Arokh build.

Can I upload from the Lucy GUI or do I need use TFTP?
And need to use sysupgrade or factory?

(Last edited by MidGe on 22 Jun 2012, 07:59)

Comitizer wrote:
arokh wrote:

Netatalk was cut for space reasons. It's available as a package though, you could install it if you have a V2 or extroot. Another alternative is to set up TimeMachine to a sparse bundle disk image through SMB, works well and doesn't need yet another filesharing daemon.

I'm using Lion, I didn't think that it worked with the sparse bundle trick. Does it?  Ideally I'd like to host the backup on my WHS.

Last time I tried it was Snow Leopard, I see now that there are issues with Lion. However, there seems to be a way:

http://msftguy.blogspot.no/2011/07/lion … -bits.html

@MidGe

If the router has established an internet connection the problem should be easy to find out. Ping an external IP address (not DNS name) from your router. If it doesn't work, the problem is with the connection. If it does work, try to ping the same address from your workstation. If that doesn't work, the problem is with the firewalling rules. Start with the basics, make sure you can reach the outside world and that the firewall is properly forwarding packets.

I doubt the issue is with the fat build, as it's built from the same tree with a slightly different package set.