OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRT610N v1: How to TFTP?

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all.
Maybe I'm dumb, but I cannot find the exact information about the TFTP installation procedure for a WRT610Nv1.
It's not clear to me whether the box is a TFTP client or a server!
If the info is somewhere here, please, just post the link, not the answer!
TIA

if it has a tftp-server, udp port 69 should be open - a port scan might discover that. if that doesn't help, connecting to the serial port would probably be the best idea.

MBS wrote:

if it has a tftp-server, udp port 69 should be open - a port scan might discover that. if that doesn't help, connecting to the serial port would probably be the best idea.

... and I need to hold the reset button at the powerup in order to summon that TFTP server, right?
Sorry for asking, but the WiKi doesn't provide any useful information.

i googled a bit for it, seems like dd-wrt has some infos about it. seems like it runs a tftp server for about 3 seconds after power-on, sending small firmware files (<4 MB) should work in that time. also ping 192.168.1.1 should work during that time. the following seems to work:

C:\Work>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin
Transfer successful: 3031040 bytes in 4 seconds, 757760 bytes/s

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Li … ricking.29
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82334
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/gener … ftp.server

The point, MBS, is that a fresh new ("factory") OpenWRT build weights to 7+ MB because of the blank file system image.
So the TFTP is useless, unless someone builds a 4- MB initial image... :-(
I am wondering whether I can upload OpenWRT on top of DD-WRT. Any hint?

(Last edited by uqbar on 21 Mar 2012, 08:00)

It is quite common that the openwrt factory build fills the entire flash chip, afaik that is not a problem for tftp install.

The generic instructions probably apply for wrt610. Have you tried starting the router into failsafe while pinging it?

But in the end, did anyone already upgraded WRT610N from stock to OpenWRT?
From DD-WRT to OpenWRT?

Don't do it.  I have never, ever gotten my WRT610Nv1 to accept OpenWRT.  I thought it was bricked, however it seems there is a hardware incompatibility as after viewing its console via serial port, I saw that OpenWRT had fully booted however the hardware was not correctly identified.  I ended up loading DD-WRT back onto it by pulling it over TFTP from the console; the typical "push" TFTP recovery method doesn't work with this unit.  Supposedly it has a magical Web GUI recovery method, however I also was not able to get this to appear, however I did not use a WinXP machine to attempt to view this as some people have said you need.  Its a pretty big headache IMHO.  I really like OpenWRT and run it on my WHR-HP-G54 and WRT54Gv2, but my 610N is going to keep DD-WRT.

(Last edited by bdwyer on 9 May 2012, 07:00)

bdwyer wrote:

Don't do it.  I have never, ever gotten my WRT610Nv1 to accept OpenWRT.  I thought it was bricked, however it seems there is a hardware incompatibility as after viewing its console via serial port, I saw that OpenWRT had fully booted however the hardware was not correctly identified.  I ended up loading DD-WRT back onto it by pulling it over TFTP from the console; the typical "push" TFTP recovery method doesn't work with this unit.  Supposedly it has a magical Web GUI recovery method, however I also was not able to get this to appear, however I did not use a WinXP machine to attempt to view this as some people have said you need.  Its a pretty big headache IMHO.  I really like OpenWRT and run it on my WHR-HP-G54 and WRT54Gv2, but my 610N is going to keep DD-WRT.

If this experience is confirmed, I'd say it deserves to be put in the wiki.
And, as of now, I'm still running DD-WRT on all my Linksys WRT*.

bdwyer wrote:

... as after viewing its console via serial port, I saw that OpenWRT had fully booted however the hardware was not correctly identified.

Did you sign a ticket with your log or provide the openwrt developers in any other way with those information? If not, please do so.

Hmm, it may be too late for me to do that, unless Minicom or SecureCRT keeps a log of sessions somewhere...  I ended up breaking the landing on the RX pad on my 610n when my cat walked by and caught himself on a wire...  I had my WRT54G's TTYS1 soldered to the Serial on the 610n since I don't have one of those 3.3v converter chips... Had to hold the cable to a hair-sized test pin hole while trying to type.

IIRC, upon fully booting, I did an ifconfig -a and saw nothing other than a loopback interface.  Prior to getting to the actual root@openWRT: console, after the CME loaded the flash1.trx, I saw a bunch of lines about eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3, etc. not found.  I could have sworn I saw a line about hardware = WRT54G/S, another model, another model, etc.   Eventually I saw a line about Broadcom chip not detected.  At that point, the console output did not say much for a while, and then I pressed enter and saw the OpenWRT console.  To me, this confirmed that the unit was not actually bricked.  For the WRT610nv1, I know you have to use the DD-WRT MEGA builds because they contain the switch driver.  Maybe that switch driver is missing from the WRT build?  I remember the 610's "header" checking out, something about a valid AP code so I definitely did not

I am sorry about not logging this stuff, I probably should have but it was late and I gave up and just flashed DD-WRT back onto the unit since I was sick of holding the TX cable to the motherboard!

This is all on a V1 by the way, CTG01H81xxxx.

(Last edited by bdwyer on 10 May 2012, 04:48)

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 33&p=1

Post #18 there from 2008 outlines exactly what I saw;

diag: Detected 'Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL'                                                                             
roboswitch: Probing device eth0: No such device                                                                   
roboswitch: Probing device eth1: No such device                                                                   
roboswitch: Probing device eth2: No such device                                                                   
roboswitch: Probing device eth3: No such device                                                                   
- init -                                                                                                         

Please press Enter to activate this console. roboswitch: Probing device eth0: No such device
roboswitch: Probing device eth1: No such device                                             
roboswitch: Probing device eth2: No such device                                             
roboswitch: Probing device eth3: No such device

Some more information over here.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 15#p167015

(Last edited by bdwyer on 10 May 2012, 19:00)

The discussion might have continued from here.