OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support for Marvell 88F5xx81 based routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Jan 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Please always name what device you use.
Are there comments about W-LAN on the corresponding wiki page?
Are you using 11n? If so, try 11g first. Several posts of this thread report about W-LAN instabilities, read them to find a workaround for your issue.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 5 Jan 2012, 14:36)

I use a WRT350n v2, I thought that the topic was about this router (by looking at the title of the topic)
I tried 11g and 11n, both are not working. I'll look through all posts to see whether one contains a solution that I did not try yet.

This thread is about platform support for the Orion chipset.

The WRT350Nv2 is only one Marvell 88F5xx81 based router.
Currently OpenWrt supports the following routers with the Orion generic target: Netgear WNR854T and Linksys WRT350N v2

On my WRT350N v2 I only had luck with 11g. For encryption I always use WPA2 PSK CCMP (AES).
For the first info read the Wireless Wiki page and the FAQ Wireless.
Note that you should not edit the config files manually, instead use the uci command and don't forget to commit your changes to make them persistent.
Or admin your router with the Luci web-interface.

By the way, "two radios" sounds weird to me.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 5 Jan 2012, 20:29)

I also have WRT350N v2 and wireless is not working completely. In luci I can see that my radio is at 0dBm signal and wireless clients can not connect to the router although most of the time even SSID disappears. This started somewhere between rc4 and rc5 as in rc4 G mode was stable. N mode worked but was not stable. Now I can't connect even if G mode is used. And disabling wireless security does not change anything as well.  I have an accepted ticket (#9882) in tracker and I am hoping to be able to use my router as a wireless N router some day.

Best OpenWrt member to contact about W-LAN issues is nbd.
He also has a WRT350N v2 at his proposal (was a donation by me, hence I know).

Edit:
Just recognized that nbd accepted slowmo's ticket #9882. Added myself to CC to get updated (I think it is possible to add mail addresses too).

Edit 2:
Hint: Always describe exactly with which devices you connect (brand, model, version, firmware), what your W-LAN settings are and what's your router (brand, model, version, firmware revision, trunk or backfire).
With some luck one of the developers is able to recreate the issue, which increases the chances to get it fixed.
Additionally it helps to know how to compile the latest trunk for your device to quickly test fixes, and how to revive your device after a bad flash (e.g. serial connection). (For infos you may start in post #300).

(Last edited by maddes.b on 6 Jan 2012, 11:45)

I fiddled around today and managed to make the wireless network visible for my devices.

First, I created a clean configuration/buid (removed .config, build-dir, staging-dir and tmp) and selected 'Marvell Orion' as target.
This removed the problem with the two radios... I guess some old configs were lying around somewhere..?

Currently my configuration is as follows.
/etc/config/network:

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'eth0'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'macaddr' '00:1e:e5:93:e1:56'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'
        option 'hostname' 'openwrt'
        option 'macaddr' '00:1e:e5:93:e1:57'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.3.1'
        option 'macaddr' '00:1e:e5:93:e1:56'
        option 'ifname' 'lan1 lan2 lan3 lan4'

config 'interface' 'wlan'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ifname' 'wlan0'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.3.2'
        option 'gateway' '192.168.3.1'

/etc/config/wireless

config 'wifi-device' 'wlan0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'channel' '11'
        option 'macaddr' '00:c0:02:00:06:1c'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'hwmode' '11g'
        option 'country' 'NL'
        option 'txpower' '17'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'wlan0'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'OpenWrt'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2+ccmp'
        option 'key' 'testtesttest'
        option 'network' 'wlan'

I think the problem of 'not-seeing-the-network' got solved by adding a separate wlan interface...?

Now I still have problems with getting a network address on my client devices. logread shows:

Sep  8 17:42:24 OpenWrt daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Sep  8 17:42:24 OpenWrt daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Sep  8 17:42:24 OpenWrt daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Sep  8 17:42:28 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPDISCOVER(wlan0) 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:28 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPOFFER(wlan0) 192.168.3.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:28 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPDISCOVER(wlan0) 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:28 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPOFFER(wlan0) 192.168.3.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:34 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPDISCOVER(wlan0) 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:34 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPOFFER(wlan0) 192.168.3.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:41 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPDISCOVER(wlan0) 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:41 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPOFFER(wlan0) 192.168.3.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:51 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPDISCOVER(wlan0) 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 17:42:51 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[7522]: DHCPOFFER(wlan0) 192.168.3.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4

So it seems that the DHCP server assigns an ip-address, but it does not reach the client... (As I do not see ACK messages, which is part of the protocol AFAIK)

Any ideas on configuring/solving this problem?

(Last edited by veger on 6 Jan 2012, 16:00)

Have found something new which (partly) solves the problem.

When I configure wireless into another network range (eg 192.168.2.xxx instead of the 192.168.1.xxx which LAN uses), wireless works!

config 'interface' 'wlan'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ifname' 'wlan0'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.2.1'
        option 'gateway' '192.168.1.1'

When using the same range (both 192.168.1.xxx), I see this DHCP error in the logs:

Sep  8 16:08:16 OpenWrt daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Sep  8 16:08:16 OpenWrt daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Sep  8 16:08:16 OpenWrt daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Sep  8 16:08:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[17274]: DHCPREQUEST(wlan0) 192.168.1.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 
Sep  8 16:08:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[17274]: DHCPNAK(wlan0) 192.168.1.222 00:16:ea:b1:8d:e4 wrong network

Any solutions for the wrong network error? (as I'd like to use one IP range for both LAN and WLAN if possible)

PS Should this discussion move to a separate topic, as it seems that it is not specific for this hardware anymore

veger wrote:

PS Should this discussion move to a separate topic, as it seems that it is not specific for this hardware anymore

Please add the info to the ticket linked in post #1054/1055 or create a new one, incl. your router brand, model and firmware revision.
Also add yourself in CC to the ticket for being updated.
Enter your mail address also as author/reporter.
With this ticket nbd will get the info, while he will mostly not notice these posts here.

P.S.:
Maybe ask for a TRAC account through the OpenWrt development mailing list.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 8 Jan 2012, 16:17)

Dumb question, since I don't understand from your previous post.

I would like to upgrade my "backup" wrt350v2 from 10.3 to 10.3.1. Is it working or are there some flaws?

This is what my router is doing right now:
-Full bridge with the ADSL modem;
-PPP with an usb dongle (just in case of broken ADSL);
-Upnp service;
-Wireless N, wpa excrypted.

I don't see why not, however, wifi has never been very stable for me; just about usable (in any version). Does it work properly for you?

Hi Gents,
After i have updated my WRT350N v2 to 10.03.1 i have got again 'lovely' error:

wget: cannot connect to remote host (78.24.191.177): Connection timed out
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … ackages.gz, wget returned 1.

I've tried to play again with /etc/config/networks settings for gateway and dns without any success.

In general router works stable. Time synchronization with NTP servers works fine.

I appreciate for any suggestions or ideas.

Hi all,
Ever since I tried to upgrade to 10.03.1 r30807 I've got a strange problem:
Every time I reboot my wrt350n, wireless and network settings revert back to original one, resulting in no wifi and no wan! I did everything I could, compiled and recompiled the images, flash the image using the Download Mode but still no chance. Things get weird sometimes, for example if I update the image using the web interface without selecting "keep setting", after reboot, my previous password is set! even some of the packages that were in the previous image (but has not been selected in the new image) are there! I thought it is a problem of that revision, so I downgraded to original 10.03.1 image (which I was happily using for at least a week  before these strange things started to happen,) but still no luck, the problem persists!
Would you please help me!
Is there anyway that I may have corrupted the EEPROM? (for example by flashing  a squashfs image about 4.4M size?)
I don't know whether it is relevant  or not but after every boot, at the end of the logs I get the following message:
user.info sysinit: copying files ... done
It seems the message is from one of the files in the /lib/firstboot/40_copy_ramoverlay or /lib/firstboot/40_no_fo_copy_ramoverlay.
Can somebody please enlighten me on /lib/firstboot? Isn't it suppose to be run only at first boot, and not after that?
Is there any problems with the block-extroot package in this release? The reason I'm asking is that after I flashed an image with this package selected as a built in, these problems started to happen!
Thank you for your help.

(Last edited by sasanj on 13 Mar 2012, 14:09)

StrikerNL wrote:

I don't see why not, however, wifi has never been very stable for me; just about usable (in any version). Does it work properly for you?

Sorry, just had the chance to reply because I was sick.

Well, wi-fi worked right but, after some months it started to be clumsy. I had to restart it almost every day so I move to a e4200 router. It was with 10.03.

Now I'll try to install the new version and I'll report.

Have anyone installed successfully a trunk snapshot by 3.0.18 sw? i flashed my WRT350N the last weekend but i have a problem to connect any kind of wifi device to wlan0 interface (timeout). The dmesg reports me:

device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entering forwarding state
device wlan0 left promiscuous mode
br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entering disabled state
device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode                     
br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entering forwarding state         

no any other error, but system never reach a cfg80211.
i found there is no kmod-crypto-core 3.0.18 in packages but after i've compiled i got the same result.

iwconfig reports everything is okay for both interfaces (wlan0 and monitor.wlan0).

could anyone advise? i test other normal functionality what i need with lan connection (qos, upnp) and i'm quite happy with latest trunk.

i appreciate for your help.

r31658: orion: switch to 3.3 and add broken flag

How could I help remove the broken flag?

Asked juhosg on IRC

[20:05] <juhosg> hi, the reason of the broken flag is quite simple, i don't have any orion device, so i was unable to test 3.3
[20:06] <juhosg> if you can try that it works or not that would help
[20:06] <striker> will do
[20:06] <striker> just build trunk?
[20:06] <juhosg> yes

[s]Will do that soonish, if anyone can do it sooner and report to juhosg, that would be good. As long as I haven't posted here, you can assume I haven't done it yet.[/s]

UPDATE: all taken care of:

[21:57] <striker> seems fine
[21:57] <striker> http://pastebin.com/KCAbJZs9
[22:05] <juhosg> cool, thank you for the test
[22:05] <striker> no probs
[22:05] <juhosg> i will remove the broken broken flag
[22:05] <striker> hehe
[22:05] <striker> good call wink
[22:05] <striker> thanks for the help

UPDATE II: Voila: https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/31674 -- thanks to juhosg!

(Last edited by StrikerNL on 10 May 2012, 22:13)

Has anyone tested this bug against the 3.3.x kernel? https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/10286

I still have a WRT350Nv2 and although LED support is not crucial, it really helps smile Right now I am using a recent backfire build (r31348) without problems, but I would like to use a trunk build...

Just to let you know, that I could revive my totally bricked WRT350Nv2 (complete flash was deleted including U-Boot) via JTAG. See post #1051.

Maddes

(Last edited by maddes.b on 25 Jun 2012, 21:26)

Hi all,

I'm having troubles installing the latest trunk version. When i flash it through download mode, the device doesn't react to anything. The latest stable is working fine but is missing the cv-mesa-kernel-module that has hardware-encryption for SSL-offloading. Does anybody know which change set is the last known good working set for the wrt350n v2?

@rippiedoos:
* Why using download mode instead of normal sysupgrade?
* r32463 was booting and LAN working for me.

maddes.b wrote:

@rippiedoos:
* Why using download mode instead of normal sysupgrade?
* r32463 was booting and LAN working for me.

I tried the sysupgrade procedure, but the router didn't respond after the sysupgrade to the latest trunk (haven't got a clue why). So i tried the 10.03 with download mode (worked perfectly). Then 10.03.1, also worked. But the sysupgrade to the latest trunk build didn't work. I then tried a download-mode-install of that same version (latest trunk) and that didn't work either (no response from pings, no telnet-acces, only the power LED that lit up and the switch lights, thats it).

But I'll try your build. Thanks for that!

And for reference, can I use the 'release'-image for sysupgrade? In the sysupgrade-link they mention a 'sysupgrade'-image but I can't find that image, only the webupgrade-, release- and recovery-images.

That ".release+ipv6-luci" is a naming convention for my own builds, so I know that it is an OpenWrt release build (all trunk packages) with IPv6 enabled and Luci web interface removed.

For Orion the sysupgrade images are the ones without any special mark:
* "-webupgrade" = for flashing via stock firmware
* "-recovery" = for flashing via download mode
* no "extension" with a dash = normal sysupgrade image (either via console or OpenWrt web interface)

Did you build the other images yourself? Or downloaded from OpenWrt downloads area?
If A then backup your source downloads and do a distclean (my script for this), then rebuild.
If B then post a bug on TRAC (put your mail address in CC, mention your name, Router, Platform, trunk/backfire, revision, issue, log from serial console and so on) or on IRC.

Maddes

(Last edited by maddes.b on 7 Jul 2012, 18:45)

rippiedoos wrote:

The latest stable is working fine but is missing the cv-mesa-kernel-module that has hardware-encryption for SSL-offloading.

Is this actually supposed to work as of current trunk? That would be awesome... Has anyone tested this? Since which revision?

(Last edited by StrikerNL on 10 Jul 2012, 16:45)

StrikerNL wrote:

Is this actually supposed to work as of current trunk? That would be awesome... Has anyone tested this? Since which revision?

Yes, this is supposed to work. I don't know in which change set the mv-cesa-module is introduced but there where some rename-tickets that renamed the module form mv_cesa to mv-cesa. Unfortunately, the module isn't built in the latest stable but it is in the latest nightlies. I want to use this little device as and IPSec-endpoint for my iPhone, that's why I'm interested in that module.

Somewhere earlier in this topic, this modules also has been mentioned. The poster mentioned this link: http://smorgasbord.gavagai.nl/2010/02/s … re-crypto/

(Last edited by rippiedoos on 15 Jul 2012, 17:11)