OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can't get into failsafe mode

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All, and thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

I am not able to get into failsafe mode on my TP-Link WR941ND Router, running Backfire 10.03.1

I have followed the processes listed both generically and for my specific model.

After power cycling I did the following

Method 1) rapidly pressed the QSS button for at least 60 seconds

Method 2) waited for the SYS light to begin flashing, and held it until it started blinking rapidly

I did both of these with my router set on DHCP, DHCP with manual address, as well as full manual.

my manual settings were:

Laptop: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1

With DHCP my Computer is given the address 169.254.*.*

I have been watching with Wireshark and my router not only shows nothing about going into failsafe, but it shows no IP for the router at all.

I would be more than happy to provide any further information.

Thanks,
Dan

I had similar situation when support for my Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H was broken in trunk. I was forced to use tftp flash (thankfully it's easy and does not require additional hardware with WZR-HP-AG300H).

This being said: are you sure you are doing it right? In my case (on firmware with working failsafe mode) I need to press button repeatedly for a long time (over two minutes) for the thing to react (it reacts somewhat differently in my case: all lights on Ethernet connectors go away for a few seconds and when they are back - and it's in failsafe mode).

169.254.*.* means you router does not respond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address ... This is normal for tftp reflash mode (at least on WZR-HP-AG300H) but is NOT normal for failsafe mode.

Thanks Khim,  I will try tftp tonight

The discussion might have continued from here.