OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: sam's firmware collections for TP-Link WR703N

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

SRG wrote:

Thanks for the link - but i just don't understand what they call "antenna shield" and "antenna core" ... ("Solder antenna shield to the contact near C110. Solder antenna core to the contact near the SPANSION flash.")

The pigtail with the SMS connector on one end. That wire has an inner core and an outer shield, both need to be soldered to the correct locations.

twinclouds wrote:
scalopendribus wrote:

Hey twinclouds,
I have few questions for you as we're trying to do a similar modification with no success till now.. If you can't answer, no problem.

can you see if the original antenna (the copper strip on the right) was etched/cut out or its still connected?

on the top left of your picture, just near that chip, just out of the picture there is a capacitor which says C114 near to it. Is it still there untouched?

did you test the performance of this modified tp-link against an unmodified one?
cos the sloppy modifications we came up with work better with an antenna, but still worse than the originals.

(thanks a lot for sharing the info)

I didn't do the mod so I cannot really answered your questions.  It works fine for me but I didn't do a detailed test.  Moreover, antenna is a very special area, I am certainly not an expert in this area.  Maybe others can help or you just have to experiment yourself.  Good luck.

If you have a multi-meter or continuity tester, you could check if there is a connection between the copper strip and either of the connections of the aerial connector. If its been done well, my guess would be that the internal strip aerial has been cut. If you have 2 aerials connected in parallel, you mess up your impedance which in turn can cause problems when transmitting. I'm no expert at these frequencies (2.4Ghz) though so cant comment on exactly what the effect will be.

It seems pulseaudio is great if you got an all linux enviroment, but if you some windows and android devices thrown into the mix I think ShairPort support warrants some serious consideration. What do you think?

I just finished viewing all the posts, did I miss something?
I didn't find the firmware with transmission built in? Can Sam help or somebody help?

Really need it to keep alive in some PT.

Appreciate!

BTW: I am so stupid in modifying the hardware such as improving the ram or rom's size, Shame me. Thus I have to live with the original rom/ram. Hope you can understand~~

I'm having a problem loading the NAS firmware (my device is v1.6). I've loaded the .bin file from the chinese firmware update page, however this bricks the device. Checking the serial output, I'm getting a 'kernel panic'. I can load other versions of openwrt OK and I have been running dd-wrt also, swapping between and back to the stock firmware. Is there something I'm missing ?? Can the NAS firmware be flashed straight from the web page on a 1.6 device ??

Thanks !

twinclouds wrote:

Here is a picture of the antenna connection:
http://db.tt/AY3HZwBO
Not sure you can see much, though.

Nice external antenna mod, I would you post this as new thread in hardware mod.
Did you remove any components? did you just cut small antenna and solder rsma connector?

Please give some more details on what you did. This is an awesome mod for such a small router as tplinl wr703n.

Cheers!

(Last edited by valentt on 27 Apr 2012, 12:00)

hello, buy a 703n with ddwrt installed and I can not install openwrt firmware, error fail.
I want to use the openwrt.

josnan wrote:

hello, buy a 703n with ddwrt installed and I can not install openwrt firmware, error fail.
I want to use the openwrt.

telnet to your 703N, use "mtd" to flash it.

thanks, I'm a little wrong with this, I want to try this firmware
can put the steps for telnet. I do not want ddwrt

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/mtd

(Last edited by josnan on 29 Apr 2012, 11:08)

after searching and testing, with installed ddwrt will not let me write openwrt

josnan wrote:

after searching and testing, with installed ddwrt will not let me write openwrt

As I said previously, telnet and mtd, that's it.
Don't stuck in its webui.

Hey,

i have a Problem using the Pulseaudio Firmware (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 97#p150597)
it installes very well, but when i try to opkg update i get an error, that its not reacheble.
What i want is:
Pulseaudio, using extroot on an usb drive, and transmission running. so i have to install some other things - so i need opkg. Whats wrong there?

Is it possible to change the packages source in the opkg.conf to use the packages from the openwrt snapshot? (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … /packages/)

Any Idea?

Thanks,

Pcace

Ok,
sorry i got it now... i simply forgot the -n while using sysupgrade...

But now an other question: how can i change the network mode!?
i tried that: http://pulseaudio/cgi-bin/webif/power-network.sh 
but i cannot reach that site!
How can i now change the mode? i want to ssh into it...

Thanks,

Pcace

josnan wrote:

will not let me install openwrt from ddwrt.

Use the stock revert firmware from the DD-WRT forums to take you back to the stock chinese firmware, then flash the OpenWRT firmware from that GUI

s7mx1 wrote:

@Atavius

Checked the default openwrt kernel configuration for ntfs module and noticed that ntfs write support is not selected. I have recompiled the ntfs kernel with write support. You can download the new kernel module from here
and install it on WR703N

opkg --nodeps install kmod-fs-ntfs_2.6.39.4-1_ar71xx.ipk

If there is not enough disk space then you will need to wait the next release which should have ntfs write support built in.

Is there any update on that next release with ntfs write support? For installing theres not enough disk space.

Will NAS firmware work on iPhone Tethering  via USB ?

The simple question again: how can i ssh into the box when i installed the pulseaudio firmware?
or more precise: how can i change the Network mode?

Thanks,

Pcace

@Pcace

Post #2 says that the root password is root.

Has anyone had any problems with loading this NAS firmware on a 1.6 device and getting 'kernel panics' ?? As I mentioned before, I can run a 31XXX build no problems along with DD-WRT . . .

Atavius wrote:
s7mx1 wrote:

@Atavius

Checked the default openwrt kernel configuration for ntfs module and noticed that ntfs write support is not selected. I have recompiled the ntfs kernel with write support. You can download the new kernel module from here
and install it on WR703N

opkg --nodeps install kmod-fs-ntfs_2.6.39.4-1_ar71xx.ipk

If there is not enough disk space then you will need to wait the next release which should have ntfs write support built in.

Is there any update on that next release with ntfs write support? For installing theres not enough disk space.

I think it is best you will compile of your own.  It is not that difficult.  The Trunk version only contains minimum necessary packages, e.g., even luci is not included.

pcace wrote:

The simple question again: how can i ssh into the box when i installed the pulseaudio firmware?

Thanks,

Pcace

You can telnet into it, no password is needed.  Than you do a passwd to set the root password.  Then you can ssh into it as roo using the password you set.

twinclouds wrote:
pcace wrote:

Thanks,

Pcace

You can telnet into it, no password is needed.  Than you do a passwd to set the root password.  Then you can ssh into it as roo using the password you set.

Hey, tank you for the answer,
but i ment an other thing:
when i run the firmware it runs like a bridge - it has no real ip adress? (im very new to all the network stuff). i can connect to the wifi of the router, but i cannot pig the router - because it is thomething like a transperent bridge!

so which ip do i have to ping (or SSH), when im in the network??

How i change passwords is clear, but how i change the network configuration is not that clear.

that was the first question. The second:

is it possible to install packages later on?
- i need the system to run on extroot (overlay), to install transmission, openvpn, samba and maybe some more (not running at the same time because of performance)

Thanks,

Pcace

@Pcace:
Sorry for my misunderstanding.  I am not sure why you don't have ip address when at bridge mode.  Is your client network and the host network on the same subnet or different subnet?  I am not that experienced on bridge mode either.  However, as far as I know, Openwrt is not very friendly if both are on the same subnet.  If they are on different subnet, I don't see why you don't have a real ip address of the router in client mode.  Mine certainly did.
Maybe you should google more to to find out what others did.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 3 May 2012, 11:06)

Which version of the router do you have, I can't get it to load on my v1.6 . . .

Is their any update in getting transmission included in the firmware.
That would make the 703 Perfect!

cheers