Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Yes, and its completely incomprehensible.
The cited error constant does not exist in libnl or libnl-tiny and the cited error message is neither found in hostapd nor in libnl.

All I know is, wifi wasn't working until I compiled hostapd against the new libnl.

Ok. I'll see if some more info trickles in then. Thanks so far and have a nice trip.

@masta I managed to figure it out a little bit before you post. The default live times were way higher than the 6to4 interfaces. Changing them in radvd to match fixed it.

arokh wrote:

@jow

Going on vacation again, back in three weeks smile

Have a nice vacation!
we will be waiting for you to come back smile

Thanks a lot for your work!

Looks like the packages are offline:

http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/packages

Does anybody have a public mirror?

Home                               Work                          Parents
Netgear wndr3800            Netgear wndr3800      Netgear wndr3700v2
Netgear JGS524 Switch       Lacie 1TB USB              64GB USB thumb
DroboFS 10TB NAS

2,807 (edited by mmhorda 2012-04-09 21:15:30)

masta wrote:

use this:

http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/latest-release-is-r31219/packages/

mmhorda wrote:
masta wrote:

use this:

Those are only packages included as part of builds however, are those not?

2,809 (edited by mmhorda 2012-04-09 21:40:04)

got_milk wrote:
mmhorda wrote:
masta wrote:

use this:

Those are only packages included as part of builds however, are those not?

seems like not only

hy,
opkg update ends with 404

wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

whats wrong?

arokh build @ wndr3700v1
own build @ comtrend 6373

The repo url. Change it to http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/latest-release-is-r31219/packages/

someone already said that the numbers for tx power are bullshit but I somehow feel better when it shows me a little bit more than less :-D
so for everyone like me who feels better to see bigger numbers on your tx power or just for polishing this build here are some changes in     /etc/rc.local
This is a copy of my file where swapfile can be different or you:

test -f /mnt/sda1/.swapfile && swapon /mnt/sda1/.swapfile
sleep 10
/sbin/wifi
exit 0

it will slightly increase wifi tx power (at least luci will show it) smile

2,813 (edited by bmh.01 2012-04-12 18:14:12)

Experiencing random (every 24 hours or so) internet dropouts on the 3xxxx builds after upgrading from a late 2xxxx build (can't remember exactly which one). V1 WNDR3700. A restart of the network service seems to bring it back but seems to generate some nat issues, reboot of the router also will sort it.

Nothing in the logs helpful at all around the time it dies.

Anyone else had this problem? Nothing has changed config wise or software between the two builds.

Wishing I hadn't bothered now sad.

bmh.01 wrote:

Experiencing random (every 24 hours or so) internet dropouts on the 3xxxx builds after upgrading from a late 2xxxx build (can't remember exactly which one). V1 WNDR3700. A restart of the network service seems to bring it back but seems to generate some nat issues, reboot of the router also will sort it.

Anyone else had this problem? Nothing has changed config wise or software between the two builds.

I do not experience these problems at all with the same router (WNDR3700 V1), so it should be something that you can solve. Did you copy config files from the 2xxxx build? If so, don't and just manually edit the files (I know, a lot of work, but at least you will have a clean setup that should work).

I've tried with a clean config and still the same issue. The only thing thats the same (and i'm clutching at straws here) is vnstat so i've disabled that for the time being to see what happens. But it was running fine on 2xxxx. Uptime was 100 days +.

2,816 (edited by mmhorda 2012-04-12 19:39:03)

bmh.01 wrote:

I never had it on wndr3700v1 usual my maximum uptime was around 16 days (was flashing newer builds :-D )
do as johan81 says, should work

bmh.01 wrote:

I've tried with a clean config and still the same issue. The only thing thats the same (and i'm clutching at straws here) is vnstat so i've disabled that for the time being to see what happens. But it was running fine on 2xxxx. Uptime was 100 days +.

what do you mean about vnstat? I didn't really catch that.

2,818 (edited by bmh.01 2012-04-12 21:26:04)

After rebuilding my config from scratch the only thing that was the same as before was the cron job to gather vnstat data every 5 minutes. It tends to be one of the last things in the log file before the internet dies but that may just be coincidence as its a regularly run thing. I've disabled it for the time being.

The wierd thing is that when it does die I can still access everything on the router and it still workings with my internal routes (I have a pfsense router with a selection of extra subnets behind it), it just won't route out of eth1 it seems as I cannot even access my modem diagnostic pages.

3 days so far with no issues, nothing conclusive yet but looks like vnstat may have been causing issues.

Running r31216 on my 3700v1 and so far so good. VPN working well, and wifi radios are solid on both 2.4g and 5g. However, with the noscan option, I am getting significantly faster transfer speed on 2.4g than 5g. On 2.4g, I get a steady 15-16mb/s, while on 5g only 11-12mb/s. Would anyone care to share some thoughts on this? My understanding was that 5g suppose to be the faster (shorter range) alternative.

2,821 (edited by mmhorda 2012-04-16 09:34:59)

koei wrote:

Running r31216 on my 3700v1 and so far so good. VPN working well, and wifi radios are solid on both 2.4g and 5g. However, with the noscan option, I am getting significantly faster transfer speed on 2.4g than 5g. On 2.4g, I get a steady 15-16mb/s, while on 5g only 11-12mb/s. Would anyone care to share some thoughts on this? My understanding was that 5g suppose to be the faster (shorter range) alternative.

As long as i know, NO. it is not faster. it is basically the same or even worse. since 5g is higher signal.
the advantages is that it has less or almost no interference.
also your particular wifi card can work worse with 5g than with 2.4g

I can be wrong. but that's what I always knew :-D

PS: here you go! _http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/5ghz-gear.htm

Etique wrote:

Hello board,

I've a problem with my OpenWRT (31113) on a WNDR3700v1.

Each time I make a modification to a network interface (WLAN or LAN), the router becomes unreachable (no Luci, no ping, no ssh). But it still works. The switch and wifis still route traffic.

I'm looking for a clue, I've wiped the config several times already but to no avail.

Thanks !

Ok, just to give you an update on this. It seems it's actually a bug.

When the LAN interface is in DHCP mode, any modification on a network interface (LAN, WLAN, maybe WAN, didn't test) causes the router to be unreachable (no Luci, no SSH, no ping).

I switched it to static and everything works fine now.

I have your OpenWRT build version r31054. I cannot for the love of god make RDC (remote desktop connection) work.

Can somebody help me out with guide on how to enable RDC in OpenWRT with LUCI???

You need to make a port forward, TCP and UDP, port 3389, source address any, source port any, destination ip of your windows desktop.

Well I did ALL of that and it still doesnt work.

I also enabled RDC in Windows and I have ddns configured properly (checked my broadcasted IP on dyndns.org)

Do I have to create some traffic rules or custom rules as well?