Re: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

Hi All

Ive bricked my TL-WR703N (accidently removed power while flashing!), and will hopefully get round to sorting it via telnet using the serial port method. Anyone know if this will work? And any possible advice on soldering the serial port? the contacts are TINY!

Assuming i get it running again without a problem, I have a Ethernet printer and an external USB hard drive (self powered). How easy would it be to make the WR703N act as a wireless client on the local network and share the Ethernet printer and USB hard drive - i realise this is basically saying put a whole OS on but im hoping there is a way to do it!

Ive not had much luck searching for this.

Thanks in advance. smile

Gummibear1986

627 (edited by twinclouds 2012-04-06 21:01:09)

Eventually, I made the wifi client mode work.  Essentially, the wifi is on the wan side connected to my home network and the ethernet is on the lan side.  The computer hooked to the ethernet port can access my home net and internet.  By forwarding some ports, I can also access 703n through ssh and web interface.
However, these are still two separate networks and firewall gets between sometimes.  I am wondering if is an easy way to make the 703n as an wireless extension of the home network.  Specificcally, when the openwrt is installed, I can connect the ethernet lan port to the home net and computers can connect to the home net through wifi of 703n with port assigned by dhcp server from the home net router.  Is it possible to do the same thing but using wifi instead of the ethernet cable connect to the home network.  I guess it is possible but am not knowledgeable enough in networking to figure out what to do.  Any input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

twinclouds wrote:

I am wondering if is an easy way to make the 703n as an wireless extension of the home network.  Specificcally, when the openwrt is installed, I can connect the ethernet lan port to the home net and computers can connect to the home net through wifi of 703n with port assigned by dhcp server from the home net router.

Is it possible to do the same thing but using wifi instead of the ethernet cable connect to the home network.  I guess it is possible but am not knowledgeable enough in networking to figure out what to do.  Any input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

you are using Routed Client mode.
Unless you need separate subnet for some more net security, otherwise if inside local network/home network, routed mode (MASQUERADE) somehow is not necessary because your router already did that. (for security you still need WPA/2)
In openwrt, simply bind the client(STA) to lan interface, make sure it is in LAN Zone or any zone without MASQUERADE, that's it.
As a result, the ethernet port can also connect to your home network through the client wirelessly.

However, your 703n now in STA mode, but you need add additional AP(s) to extend wifi coverage,
you need both side in WDS mode, or use relayd.

You may need to read those docs in openwrt page, then play around. It is easy compare with those enterprise device.

@johan666:
Can you explain how to "bind the client(STA) to lan interface"?  Thanks.

Hi!

Need help with my wr703n. I think I have a firewall issue. Currently on the latest snapshot "r31219", and i have the same problems with earlier versions as well.

I'have forwarded port 443 for https access from external wan. It works until i restart/reboot the router. Then it just stops working, and I have to manualy restart the firewall to get remote access via 443 again.

#This is my config:
config redirect
        option target 'DNAT'
        option src 'wan'
        option dest 'lan'
        option proto 'tcp'
        option src_dport '443'
        option dest_ip '192.168.1.254'
        option dest_port '443'
        option name 'https access'

I'm also unabe to SSH remotly to the router (works localy).
Under the "SSH Access" in luci I've checked "Allow remote hosts to connect to local SSH forwarded ports". And the interface is "unspecified".

also:
config rule
        option src 'wan'
        option dest_port '22'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option proto 'tcp'
        option name 'ALLOW SSH'

And last I'm unable to ping the external wan IP-address.

#conf:
config rule
        option name 'Allow ping'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'ICMP'
        option target 'ACCEPT'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-Ping'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'icmp'
        option icmp_type 'echo-request'
        option family 'ipv4'
        option target 'ACCEPT'

What do you guys think?

2 x WNDR3700v1, TL-WR703N, WRT54GL, 2 x FON2100

Hi,

I just received my WR703N from China.  It appear to have been already flashed, and I just can't access it.  When I point my browser to 192.168.1.1, it briefly shows lua/...., and then redirects to 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci, and shows a page in Chinese, which Google Translator translates into

User name or password is incorrect, please follow the instructions

If you lock the capital of the keyboard?
User name and password are case sensitive, please check your "Caps Lock" or "A" on the keyboard light is lit. If yes, please press the "Caps Lock" key, then refresh the page to re-enter.

Have you forgotten your username or password?
 If you forget your login user name or password, you can restore the product to the factory settings, and use the default user name admin and the default password admin.
 Tip: to restore the factory settings before you will be factory set to replace the product made ??by the setting.

To restore the factory settings:
 Please keep the press at the same time observe the light of the SYS (or M2) in the case of products powered, using a stylus to press the RESET button, wait for about 5 seconds, flashes rapidly when the SYS (or M2) lamp flashes slowly into state, the products have been successfully restore the factory settings, then release the RESET button, the product will restart

Following the instructions as best I can, I see it flash quickly after five seconds, and then slowly again, but then it shows the same thing.  Holding the reset button as in the general failsafe instructions doesn't do any different, either.  Telnet in putty just quits, and ssh shows network error - connection refused.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is serial my only option at this point?

632 (edited by johan666 2012-04-12 05:28:15)

DJ79 wrote:

Hi,

I just received my WR703N from China.  It appear to have been already flashed, and I just can't access it.  When I point my browser to 192.168.1.1, it briefly shows lua/...., and then redirects to 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci, and shows a page in Chinese, which Google Translator translates into

Obviously you've brought a custom modded(flashed) 703N.
Sometimes they compile openwrt themselves which included extra functions.

By default openwrt login is :-
login name : root
password : [no password]

Sometimes they use [admin] as login and password.

But you better CHECK with the seller for actual information.
Not just try and try then break it for the serial.

twinclouds wrote:

@johan666:
Can you explain how to "bind the client(STA) to lan interface"?  Thanks.

Just bridge it.

/etc/config/network
config interface 'ABC'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option proto 'dhcp'

/etc/config/wireless
config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option mode 'sta'
        option ssid 'abc-wifi'
        option network 'ABC'

Be reminded that (again),
in this case, don't bridge any AP to the same interface with STA, this will stop the whole wifi.
Except, you are using WDS or reconfig with relayd.

johan666 wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response.  I've contacted the seller, let's see what comes of it.  The problem is that it never even asks me for login or password, just tells me in Chinese that it's wrong (at 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci).  It pings from 192.168.1.1, but it just drops telnet, and refuses ssh connections.  I have a feeling it may be botched (perhaps locked out by firewall rules).

I didn't find any instructions for failsafe start on the 703N page at openwrt.org, so I tried holding the reset button while powering on, like on the MR3020, to no avail.  I was hoping there was some way of reflashing it without opening the box and soldering.

DJ79 wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response.  I've contacted the seller, let's see what comes of it.  The problem is that it never even asks me for login or password, just tells me in Chinese that it's wrong (at 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci).  It pings from 192.168.1.1, but it just drops telnet, and refuses ssh connections.  I have a feeling it may be botched (perhaps locked out by firewall rules).

I didn't find any instructions for failsafe start on the 703N page at openwrt.org, so I tried holding the reset button while powering on, like on the MR3020, to no avail.  I was hoping there was some way of reflashing it without opening the box and soldering.

You can't find instructions for failsafe on 703N.
Because openwrt failsafe is ALL THE SAME !

It is freakin easy to bring the failsafe mode !
NOT hold the reset button while powering on.
JUST power up, when the blue LED start flashing, PRESS (not hold) the reset button.
then LED flashing in high speed, you are in failsafe mode........

I don't understand, you keep trying the wrong way.....

Thanks, I'll try that tonight.  I started reading the thread from the beginning, which is what I should have done first, and figured that out.

DJ79 wrote:
johan666 wrote:

I had the same problem with mine 703 , but only when trying to access from firefox, i thought i had a dud but when i hooked it to my laptop and used ie8 it came right up....

Teara

Hello!

I tried to flash my new tl-wr703n. I bought it in China and I used this [url=http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n]page[url]. After flashing I can't see it anymore on my wireless devices and I can't access to it's web interface. Something somewhere went wrong but I dont know what. When I connect it to my computer via LAN cable I can see LAN connection but I still can't access it.
How can I flash it again when I dont have a connection whith it?

Please help!
Thanks! smile

noob123 wrote:

Hello!

I tried to flash my new tl-wr703n. I bought it in China and I used this [url=http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n]page[url]. After flashing I can't see it anymore on my wireless devices and I can't access to it's web interface. Something somewhere went wrong but I dont know what. When I connect it to my computer via LAN cable I can see LAN connection but I still can't access it.

Please help!
Thanks! smile

Wireless, web interface and SSH will not work when you first flash it.  You should use telnet through the ethernet port (no password needed) and then set root password using passwd.  Then you should install luci then the web interface will work.  Through web interface you can easily enable wireless.  You can also enable wireless without luci but I feel install luci first is more convenient.
There are places describe the procedure.  I also gave it before in this thread (post 623: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=31729&p=25).  You can try to see if it works.

noob123 wrote:

Hello!

Please help!
Thanks! smile

Maybe you need to read/study more carefully in the wiki.
For fresh flash, openwrt Doesn't include webui by default, you can install it afterward but you need to setup its network properly.
And by default wifi is disabled by default, for security reason.

Now, you can only telnet to 192.168.1.1
After setup your password, telnet service will be disable then SSH will enable.
then, setup the network by edit /etc/config/network.
Depends on what network you are using, study the wiki on how to config.
Or, tell us more detail on what you're using,..... behind another router ?  direct DHCP internet ? PPPoE ?  other ??
then most people here are helpfull.

After you flash your router, there is no turning back.
You need to setup it properly, make it have network access, so that you can install modules or flash other firmware.

Does anyone tried to web cam streaming via "USB/IP" interface? Does CPU power enough for this?

EUA re:webcam

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-up-OpenWRT-on-a-pocket-router-WR703N/

<i>Instructions below summarize available information about this router and show how to flash OpenWRT, customize network settings for wireless access point and set up a streaming webcam. It is possible to set up 1-wire bus for temperature sensors on LED GPIO pin.</i>

FWIW.

johan666 wrote:
noob123 wrote:

Hello!

Please help!
Thanks! smile

Maybe you need to read/study more carefully in the wiki.
For fresh flash, openwrt Doesn't include webui by default, you can install it afterward but you need to setup its network properly.
And by default wifi is disabled by default, for security reason.

Now, you can only telnet to 192.168.1.1
After setup your password, telnet service will be disable then SSH will enable.
then, setup the network by edit /etc/config/network.
Depends on what network you are using, study the wiki on how to config.
Or, tell us more detail on what you're using,..... behind another router ?  direct DHCP internet ? PPPoE ?  other ??
then most people here are helpfull.

After you flash your router, there is no turning back.
You need to setup it properly, make it have network access, so that you can install modules or flash other firmware.

Ok, I did a lot of work from yesterday. I finish seting up my 703n and also now I have a web interface. The problem is that I cant do nothing from it. I can just connect to it and that is it.
After entering username/password I get redirected to http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webif/info.sh and that is blank page, so I cant edit "things" like before in Chinese version.
I also tryed install to "appweb_3.2.2-1-1_ar71xx.ipk" but I get a message
" Only have 668kb available on filesystem /overlay, pkg appweb needs 694"

What should I do? Is it even possible to have the same or similar Web Interface like on Chinese version so I can manage passwords, authorizations, security types from WebUI?

Thanx!

noob123 wrote:

Ok, I did a lot of work from yesterday. I finish seting up my 703n and also now I have a web interface. The problem is that I cant do nothing from it. I can just connect to it and that is it.
After entering username/password I get redirected to http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webif/info.sh and that is blank page, so I cant edit "things" like before in Chinese version.
I also tryed install to "appweb_3.2.2-1-1_ar71xx.ipk" but I get a message
" Only have 668kb available on filesystem /overlay, pkg appweb needs 694"

What should I do? Is it even possible to have the same or similar Web Interface like on Chinese version so I can manage passwords, authorizations, security types from WebUI?

Thanx!

Somehow I don't understand what you did.
could you tell some details i/o just ask a question ?

"..../cgi-bin/webif....."
Sounds like you installed X-wrt webui.
but seems it is mis-configed.....
As I said, don't know what you did.
what packages you've installed, what config files you've modified.

"appweb" is a Web Server, not a webui.
I don't think you can install server application in this little router.

Anyway, of course the webui can manage password and all settings, authorization, firewall, ddns, mount point etc.

johan666 wrote:

Somehow I don't understand what you did.
could you tell some details i/o just ask a question ?

"..../cgi-bin/webif....."
Sounds like you installed X-wrt webui.
but seems it is mis-configed.....
As I said, don't know what you did.
what packages you've installed, what config files you've modified.

"appweb" is a Web Server, not a webui.
I don't think you can install server application in this little router.

Anyway, of course the webui can manage password and all settings, authorization, firewall, ddns, mount point etc.

All I wanted is install english webui and remove chinese. I didnt read so much documentation so i flashed it without too much thinking. After I saw what I did, I decided to have a little bit of fun. I managed to connect to web and download luci. After that i saw that webui is enabled but i cant do nothing with it so I tried to install "webif-applications_0.1-1_ar71xx.ipk" after that i could connect to router with password, but still nothing i could do more.
So now i want to flash it again and set it up without webui. (If it is possible to have the same webui like in chinese version, I would like to installi it)
I want to learn how to set passwords, permissions... in ssh smile I just want to try everything to see what this small device can do.

Can anyone create a small tutorial in a few steps how to flash from ssh, how to install the same webui but english version...

Thanx

ps. sorry for my english and if i forgot to say something again!

smile

Did you read this ?
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/webinterface.overview

those webui come with english only by default, you don't need to remove chinese.

johan666 wrote:

Did you read this ?
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/webinterface.overview

those webui come with english only by default, you don't need to remove chinese.

Can you please explain what should I do with new device if webui is on chinese and I want it to be english?

do you mean 703n ?
703n only for china market, so it only has freakin' simplified chinese ui.
- if you are simple user, recommend you use dd-wrt, it integrated webui and some advance function such as usb-3G storage printer support, vpn etc.

for openwrt
- flash
- install luci
- enable uhttpd
In wiki already show the details.

649 (edited by lizby 2012-04-17 13:37:00)

The wiki for the 703n tells how to flash from the chinese web interface and how to flash a sysupgrade file with mtd from the command prompt.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

650 (edited by Finnlink 2012-04-19 16:17:53)

Maybe there should be a other thread which only has ideas or FAQ how to recover bricked 703. I wonder what to do now as - yes - it goes fine to recovery mode by following steps:
- power on
- then immediately after led starts to flash I press reset (just pressing once is enough), led begings to flash very fast
- then I changed my pc to ip 192.168.1.5 / mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, and use telnet 192.168.1.1
- then command "firstboot", went ok (if it gives error file system is not writable or something, then must give command "firstboot" but no other erasing commands!)
- then vi /etc/config/network and there basic configuration:

config 'interface' 'loopback'
option 'ifname' 'lo'
option 'proto' 'static'
option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
option 'ifname' 'eth0'
option 'proto' 'static'
option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
option 'hostname' 'nas'
option 'gateway' '192.168.1.5'
option 'dns' '192.168.1.5'

after saving with ESC and ZZ I did
- /etc/init.d/network restart

and after that tried to connect webserver which runs on pc 192.168.1.5 (and no windows firewalls or security settings there) by using wget. Result no success. I tried to ping 192.168.1.5, no success. What can be wrong? If I switch off power and back on from router, led is just flashing, can not connect anymore with telnet. I think it should have still ip 192.168.1.1? Should I do some "write to flash command / commit to flash"?

Then I did again those steps with recovery, command "firstboot" and VI, and was hoping I could use dhcp of my other router:

config 'interface' 'loopback'
option 'ifname' 'lo'
option 'proto' 'static'
option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
option 'ifname' 'eth0'
option 'proto' 'dhcp'
option 'hostname' 'nas'

after doing /etc/init.d/network restart
I lost connection, then power off, connected to router which gives fine ip-addresses to computers, and power on, but led is just flashing...

Is there any way to load firmware to 703?

Is it possible to transfer firmware by using SCP?
Or by using netcat?
This in PC:
"nc -l -p 3333 < firmware_factory.bin"
and this in router?
cd /tmp
nc 192.168.1.5 3333 > firmware_factory.bin

Solution: it seems that my Windows7 didn't work fine when transferring firmware. I managed to do it easily with Windows XP.... !!