Re: Wrt160nl?

Hello! welcome

i am also subscribed to it, and check it as soon as someone post something.

i am still learning about openwrt so.. but anyway here i am smile

i am trying to understand the compilation stuff, not only to create my own openwrt images but for other cool stuff
like trying to compile a linux kernel for the Herotab M816 using the openwrt image building method/structure...

i think this will be easier than trying to obtain the board support package from chinesse manufacturers sad

the way i see it, procesor is known... and have the sources and other stuff released by samsung for the procesor and graphics as it is used to compile linux to run android, so the rest of the board is about doing pretty much what you did in this thread identifying components and gathering sources and patches for compiling modules for a specific arquitecture... ARM

i have a loong way to go.. but keep walking.

best regards,

janisalnis wrote:

I have seen that there is no activity in this forum, but still decided to post.

Hope that this will stimulate more peole to set up such webcam data servers on WRT160NL or other OpenWRT routers.

I really enjoyed this guide.

703 (edited by aswin1980 2011-10-20 16:12:37)

i have bricked my wrt160nl router and i'm trying to use  jtag to recover. when i use putty or gtkterm i could see some data getting printed in unreadable format.
i don't know whats causing this my language is set to en_US.UTF8.

i checked on some blogs where they said on the putty goto windows->transalation and set it to UTF8. still im having this issue.
can someone help me with this character encoding.

To the best of my knowledge, noone has made any strides with JTAG on the WRT160NL platform. Are you sure you aren't in fact using the serial pins with a FDDI serial adapter?

im actually using a serial to usb adapter. and i have connected the pin 2,3,5 on the serial end to the router as per the diagram.

706 (edited by v.90 2011-10-20 18:00:39)

Sorry you probably know some or most of this, but I'll run through the things I'd check if it were me.

Double check your connections, make sure nothing is shorting out.
Check the pinouts. Use this annotated pic here from the wiki.
Make sure TX on the board is on RX on the serial adapter, and RX on the board is on TX on the serial.
Check your settings on the serial cable, I've had issues when using anything other than 9600/8/N/1.

While it is possible the device can be borked enough to have broken serial, don't despair. It is probably something simple we're missing.

Just out of curiosity what adapter are you using?

dmesg shows usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB1

708 (edited by miguel.arce 2011-10-31 15:16:36)

i had also problems with serial line to the 160nl, i have used a pl2303 from a cheap nokia cable and an
adapter purchased from ebay.

most phone cables have issues with the 160nl's line speed which is 115200 8N1.
( if you use anything less than that speed you'll get garbage on output )

issues were: garbage on output, typing not being registered, terminal hangs, etc.

check if your pl2303 converter supports 115200 correctly by conecting rx and tx toghether, you should see the
typing eco, try to stress the termina to see if the adapter hangs at 115200.

709 (edited by v.90 2011-10-31 16:31:01)

Hmm... Another thing I would add to Miguel's is to check the overall length of the connection, some hardware versions get finicky about noise with more than a foot of wire between the serial adapter and the serial headers. Try just a few inches instead of a 3m length of cable.

710 (edited by miguel.arce 2011-11-11 15:45:59)

Hey, anyone on rc6 on this baby?

if not i am going to try this weekend the upgrade from rc5 to rc6, just wanted to know if there were any
inconveniences or things to check before the upgrade.

i hear the ath9 and mac802 are working better and more stable in rc6 than rc5 ... and thats my main reason,
as i get some of those "could not stop TX messages", and have some "wifi pausing" and disasossiations from
time to time.

best regards.

EDIT: one last thing, is ddns working properly on yours as i have to manually execute /usr/lib/ddns/ myddns &
after a reboot or my ddns does not get updated. sad

I put RC6 openwrt-ar71xx-wrt160nl-squashfs-factory.bin on a fresh WRT160nl using the firmware upgrade screen.

No problem.

The bootloader is a  U-boot 1.1.5.

There were issues around  U-boot 1.1.6.
Wiki reference[]=wrt160nl.

my previous note.

My experience is also that RC6 works.

Hi marstein, johnisaacson, good day.

i have successfully upgraded from RC5 to RC6.

everything works fine and smooth.

wireless seems more stable now.  TX messages do continue to apear but they are far less frecuent.

the ddns-script seems to run only when recently installed but it wont survive a reboot, and have no
startup script for enabling it...

Hi miguel.arce

Glad your install was succesful.

I don't have any relevent experience in this area but a quick search produced this result;
Some of the content may assist you.

Others may have additional insights.

715 (edited by beavis88 2011-12-25 13:35:52)

How i can configure Triple Play on this device? For example, my isp provides two vlans (10 for internet and 20 for iptv) - how i can configure vlans?. Any suggestions?

Hi someone try latest 10.3.1 build for stability and speed ??? Before months i try dd-wrt but he brick my router and I restore it with original firmware but now i have needs from wrt futures.

I've been using Backfire 10.03.1 (r29592) for about two weeks.   On a WRT160NL with out problems so far.

I've been extensively testing it and looking at traffic flows and performance using sniffers, etc.

So far so good.

I'm just about ready to swap it into the main router position in my network.

So far I'm quite happy.   Looks like they've done a very good job.

Installation of OpenWRT on a WRT160NL

I want to install OpenWRT on a WRT160NL. Before starting I have a few questions.

1. In case I want to switch bac to the original firmware:
For flashing with the original firmware I have downloaded the Linksys firmware version 1.0.03 and converted the bin-file to the trx format.
With this trx-file I should be able to flash the router with the original Linksys firmware over the GUI, shouldn't I?

2. How stable is the build 10.03.1 on the WRT160NL? On this page OpenWRT is listed as "WORK IN PROGRESS" on the WRT160NL.

3. What is the difference between the openwrt-ar71xx-wrt160nl-squashfs-factory.bin and the openwrt-ar71xx-wrt160nl-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin?
I assume that the factory.bin is for flashing OpenWRT on a router with Linkysys firmware. But if so why isn't the sysupgrade in the trx format?

4. I want to connect one external antenna for a wide distance connection. Which is the best connector to connect an antenna to? As can be seen here and here the connector connected with the longer grey cable is "ANT1". This would be the obvious choice but is it the best?

5. Do  I still with 10.03.1 have to install kmod-ath9k as written here to get wifi working?

Thank you for your help.

719 (edited by HuTPaT 2012-03-22 01:52:10)

1. You should not convert original firmware to trx (not tried and not 100% sure (never reverted back to stock firmware))
This should work fine:
mtd -r write FW_WRT160NL_1.0.03.002_US_20110509_code.bin firmware

Maybe be if you use web interface for flashing it will be necessary to rename FW_WRT160NL_1.0.03.002_US_20110509_code.bin to FW_WRT160NL_1.0.03.002_US_20110509_code.trx (if you call it converting ... wink )

2. I was disappointed from 10.03.1 and I`ll not recommend it. At this time my WRT160NL is with "bleeding edge, r30479" and wireless connection is much more stable and wireless throughput is much more better. Do not be afraid from "WORK IN PROGRESS" just be careful when flashing with older than 10.03.1 because there was a problem with some newer WRT160NL routers with different redboot and flash lead to a brick.

3. sysupgrade version is for upgrading OpenWRT from older to newer version without loosing configuration (without complete reflashing).
Check for more information

4. According to all should be fine without specific configuration. I`m using external antenna in one of my cases and there is no configuration for antenna - settings are default.

5. Everything works out of the box with 10.03.1 and newer.

Hey, does anyone knows if current trunk is stable in the 160NL? i am currently on 10.03.1 final, and its damn stable.

the only thing missing is the inotify that i need for the minidlna, its a pain in the *** to rebuild the damn database for changes in my media,
it takes almost 2 hours to complete.  I would love to move to a trunk that has inotify enabled and is stable like 10.03.1 final.

best regards.

721 (edited by naskoblg 2012-08-25 09:03:46)

Another successful story:
Thanks to the wiki page smile

I'v got this router for a project before 2 years. When tried the 10.03.1-rc3 before 2 yrs the router became inaccessible.
TFTP didn't work sad

Until today. I'v got request from my step brother for a router with 3G USB modem capabilities for today and I need debrick this router ASAP.

So after 30 min of googling I'v came to this solution:

Luckily the failsafe mode worked for me.

Using failsafe mode to connect to wrt160nl and FileZilla as FTP server on Windows7 host ( bellow)

=== IMPORTANT ============================
  Use 'passwd' to set your login password
  this will disable telnet and enable SSH

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2010-07-10 11:43:31 PDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
Backfire (10.03.1-rc3, r22796) --------------------
  * 1/3 shot Kahlua    In a shot glass, layer Kahlua
  * 1/3 shot Bailey's  on the bottom, then Bailey's,
  * 1/3 shot Vodka     then Vodka.
root@(none):/# cd /tmp/
root@(none):/tmp# wget
Connecting to (
wget: ftp login: Login or password incorrect!
root@(none):/tmp# wget ftp://user:password@
Connecting to ( 100% |*******************************|  6921k 00:00:00 ETA
root@(none):/tmp# mtd -r write wrt160nl-firmware.bin firmware
Unlocking firmware ...
Writing from wrt160nl-firmware.bin to firmware ...
Rebooting ...

PRESTO! We have working wrt160nl router!!!

P.S. Sorry for using the dd-wrt firmware but I know that it works with most of 3G USB modems

I'm new to Openwrt, so sorry if my question repeats but it's hard to find answer while not knowing what to look for smile

In around 2 weeks i'm going to get 100mbit optic internet with IPTV (has few HD channels). I own WRT160NL so i need to configure it to route IPTV to 4th ethernet chanel (like in ISP provided router, but i do not want to buy theirs because i have this one...).
So first of all, I need to install openwrt to my router (version Cur06)... Is there any beginner guides to do that?

I would try to flash it like i did other router with Tomato, but in was written : "Warning: If have some of those models, that belong to version 'CUR06', the 10.03 and 10.03.1 release of backfire WILL NOT work (kernel panic!), because of the newer u-Boot version (1.6.1). There were some changes of the memory layout. To get it working you must use the image from backfire trunk release by now!"

So I'm confused and don't know where to start and how and what version of openwrt to choose (GUI would be nice to have too)...

For IPTV configuration I've found plenty of suggesting configurations (do not know if it'll work for my router...), like :

config 'interface' 'loopback'
option 'ifname' 'lo'
option 'proto' 'static'
option 'ipaddr' ''
option 'netmask' ''

config 'interface' 'lan'
option 'ifname' 'eth0.2'
option 'type' 'bridge'
option 'proto' 'static'
option 'ipaddr' ''
option 'netmask' ''

config 'interface' 'wan'
option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
option 'proto' 'dhcp'

config 'interface' 'vlan6'
option 'ifname' 'eth0.6'
option 'proto' 'none'
option 'defaultroute' '0'
option 'peerdns' '0'

config 'interface' 'vlan5'
option 'ifname' 'eth0.5'
option 'proto' 'none'
option 'defaultroute' '0'
option 'peerdns' '0'

config 'switch'
option 'name' 'rtl8366rb'
option 'reset' '1'
option 'enable_vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan'
option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
option 'vlan' '6'
option 'ports' '0t 4 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
option 'vlan' '5'
option 'ports' '0t 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
option 'vlan' '1'
option 'ports' '0 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
option 'vlan' '2'
option 'ports' '1 2 3 5t'

IPTV though WiFi – write to /etc/rc.local:

ifconfig eth0.6 up
udpxy  -p 4022 -m -B 4Kb -c 10
exit 0

723 (edited by slaptunas 2012-10-18 08:33:24)

Can anyone tell me what file to use for my new 160nl V6? says:

v6     CUR06     Backfire trunk r33556 & later     WORKS

BUT also:

Warning: If have some of those models, that belong to version 'CUR06', the 10.03 and 10.03.1 release of backfire WILL NOT work (kernel panic!)

So it works but will not work?

To get it working you must use the image from backfire trunk release by now!

What is and there to find that image from backfire trunk release? is it not this one:

Or i need to use the guide "Building OpenWrt yourself" ?

It's written exactly and clearly ...

WRT160NL v6 Works from trunk r33556, and … actory.bin maybe will not work (depends on the version of U-Boot (this is bootloader that boots router's firmware))!
So to be sure ... If you have WRT160NL v6, do not try 10.03.1! Build image from trunk and then try to install.

725 (edited by HuTPaT 2012-10-18 20:43:03)

Look at that topic
There are complete configuration files. You also have to run some additional services (like igmpproxy). The VLAN configuration from topic will serve your needs.
To have Luci (GUI) you have to choose additional packages when you "make menuconfig", or you can install luci later (as package) via opkg as it described at