OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700 (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

hnyman wrote:

@johan81, @jow:
Although it is a bit off-topic, shortly about the "infinite" leasetimes discussed earlier:

Device-specific leasetimes (including infinite) seem to be quite easily implemented with dnsmasq. I made a proof-of-concept that works nicely when /etc/config/dhcp is edited by hand, but LuCI knows nothing about the new option I made to a live system.

See https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11227

Thanks a lot, this is way better than a subnet widespread infinite lease.

I did figure out how to see what init scripts are used Arokh, thanks! Now I can fiddle a bit more with it and get the Samba script working like the changeset noted. Most of it works, but, even with Manp his addition, I cannot seem to get the NMDB part working yet. Will try more tomorrow, with a fresh mind smile and will report back on my findings.

(Last edited by johan81 on 4 Apr 2012, 21:35)

Etique wrote:

Hello board,

I've a problem with my OpenWRT (31113) on a WNDR3700v1.

Each time I make a modification to a network interface (WLAN or LAN), the router becomes unreachable (no Luci, no ping, no ssh). But it still works. The switch and wifis still route traffic.

I'm looking for a clue, I've wiped the config several times already but to no avail.

Thanks !

Unfortunately this bug is still there with r31182 hmm

Etique wrote:
Etique wrote:

Hello board,

Each time I make a modification to a network interface (WLAN or LAN), the router becomes unreachable (no Luci, no ping, no ssh). But it still works. The switch and wifis still route traffic.

I'm looking for a clue, I've wiped the config several times already but to no avail.

Thanks !

Can you post your config files that you changed when this happens, it seems you changed something for the worse in them somewhere. Easier to help, for privacy and security reasons, use "XXXX" for personal names and passwords.

johan81 wrote:
Etique wrote:
Etique wrote:

Hello board,

Thanks !

Can you post your config files that you changed when this happens, it seems you changed something for the worse in them somewhere. Easier to help, for privacy and security reasons, use "XXXX" for personal names and passwords.

Sure, will do. What config file do you need?

I probably haven't been clear enough: this bug happens when I do a modification to a network interface using Luci. In that case, for instance, it was modifying the MAC whitelist for one of the Wifi networks.

But it happened also when trying to change a channel, a WLAN identity (AP name & password), the config for the LAN interface (from static to DHCP - I'm using it as an AP), etc.

After reading your first comment, I do not think it will help you in any way. As you said yourself, you cannot reach the router after the changes and we need to see the files after the changes, since you cannot reach it at that time, you cannot show them. I'd advise you to manually config the files, with vi or through the winscp editor.

Etique wrote:

Sure, will do. What config file do you need?

I probably haven't been clear enough: this bug happens when I do a modification to a network interface using Luci. In that case, for instance, it was modifying the MAC whitelist for one of the Wifi networks.

But it happened also when trying to change a channel, a WLAN identity (AP name & password), the config for the LAN interface (from static to DHCP - I'm using it as an AP), etc.

No one else seems to have that problem.
Reset your router and configure everything from the beginning.
DO NOT USE YOUR OLD CONFIGS or BACKUPS, just delete them now! and configure everything again.

mmhorda wrote:

DO NOT USE YOUR OLD CONFIGS or BACKUPS, just delete them now! and configure everything again.

Well... I did it already but will try again, no prob.

Any recommendation on how to do that properly? Last time I asked Luci to reset the parameters, is it the best way? Should I use the reset button instead? Or a 30/30/30 type of reset?

Etique wrote:
mmhorda wrote:

Well... I did it already but will try again, no prob.

Any recommendation on how to do that properly? Last time I asked Luci to reset the parameters, is it the best way? Should I use the reset button instead? Or a 30/30/30 type of reset?

frankly speaking i think that 30/30/30 is a bullshit. but you can try that one too. why not.

or just simply try to update the lastest firmware *.bin file and uncheck Keep settings: before pressing flash image button.

(Last edited by mmhorda on 5 Apr 2012, 09:52)

I found out that when using samba, the combination "security = user" and "use sendfile = yes" makes samba very irratic with transfering speeds from the router to (only tested it on this OS) a Windows 7 installation. Speeds are 7MB/s max (mostly 2-3MB/s) and sometimes the copying comes to a pause. Maybe this is intended behavior by samba, but I got to the point where changing "use sendfile = no" solved my problems. When using the open share ("security = share") it is no problem at all with "use sendfile = yes" which is supposed to give a higher throughput (which I never saw a difference in myself, except for the negative effect of course).

A sidenote:
If you go the "security = user" route, then you have to change a few more things to get it working though (add users, set passwords, add user options to the /etc/config/samba file and change "guest account = nobody" and "guest = no"), so, only changing that option will not get you password protected shares.

(Last edited by johan81 on 5 Apr 2012, 12:01)

This is a version of OpenWRT with support for IPv6, and I'm hoping to improve that support by suggesting a simple change. :-)

Proposal:
Make UHTTPD listen on IPv6 port 80 so the LUCI web application works for V6 and V4.

This appears to be a simple one line configuration change, simply uncomment the following.

list listen_http        [::]:80

This would be very helpful to me personally, possibly others as IPv6 continues to grow.
The cost of doing this are very low, if anything at all.

I've enabled this on all my routers running this firmware, which are two 3800's and one 3700v2.
So far it works well, actually in some ways even better than V4.

I believe this is a reasonable request.
Please think about this, and discus.

Thanks for the tip, sounds like a good idea to me.

arokh wrote:

Thanks for the tip, sounds like a good idea to me.

open 443 for luci-ssl for ipv6 as well pls. smile

Hi guys,

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm wondering if anyone has some up-to-date documentation for setting up:
*  a Guest Wireless interface only with access to the Internet
*  a USB flash drive which mounts on boot, how to configure opkg to use it, and set up a page file
Edit: I've found this for USB, looks pretty updated now! http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.storage

Help would be greatly appreciated! I've already had a look around, but many of the instructions don't seem to be updated with newer versions of OpenWRT?

Cheers,

Jonathan

(Last edited by kop48 on 5 Apr 2012, 21:21)

kop48 wrote:

Hi guys,

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm wondering if anyone has some up-to-date documentation for setting up:
*  a USB flash drive which mounts on boot, how to configure opkg to use it, and set up a page file
Edit: I've found this for USB, looks pretty updated now! http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.storage

Help would be greatly appreciated! I've already had a look around, but many of the instructions don't seem to be updated with newer versions of OpenWRT?

Cheers,

Jonathan

of course.
here it is
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start

mmhorda wrote:
kop48 wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Jonathan

of course.
here it is
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan <- guest wireless interface

Thanks, looks like the Wiki has been updated significantly since the last time I looked.

Cheers,

avbohemen wrote:

Welcome!

I have about the same config, WNDR3700 and HP printer though, and for me everything works fine with p910nd. /dev/lp0 is created automatically when I switch on my printer. dmesg gives:

Apr  4 11:29:09 router kern.info kernel: [944431.700000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ath79-ehci
Apr  4 11:29:09 router kern.info kernel: [944431.850000] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x6D11
Apr  4 11:29:09 router kern.info kernel: [944431.870000] scsi1 : usb-storage 1-1:1.2
Apr  4 11:29:10 router kern.notice kernel: [944432.870000] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HP       Photosmart D5400 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Apr  4 11:29:10 router kern.notice kernel: [944432.870000] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Apr  4 11:29:10 router kern.notice kernel: [944432.890000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

The SCSI device is the cardreader that's built in my printer.

I have similar entries in my dmesg, and there is a /dev/lp0 but it does not seem to be pointing to anything. When I have p910nd pointed there I get (as I try to print):

Apr  5 17:56:42 OpenWrt lpr.notice p9100d[7832]: Connection from ::ffff:192.168.1.136 port 63058 accepted
Apr  5 17:56:42 OpenWrt lpr.err p9100d[7832]: /dev/lp0: No such device
Apr  5 17:56:42 OpenWrt lpr.err p9100d[7832]: /dev/lp0: No such device, will try opening later
avbohemen wrote:

lsusb tells me:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:6d11 Hewlett-Packard

and my installed packages are:

# opkg list-installed|grep usb
kmod-leds-wndr3700-usb - 3.2.12-1
kmod-ledtrig-usbdev - 3.2.12-1
kmod-usb-core - 3.2.12-1
kmod-usb-ohci - 3.2.12-1
kmod-usb-printer - 3.2.12-1
kmod-usb-storage - 3.2.12-1
kmod-usb-storage-extras - 3.2.12-1
kmod-usb2 - 3.2.12-1
libusb - 0.1.12-2
libusb-1.0 - 1.0.8-1
usbutils - 004-1[/quote]
I had all of these except libusb - 0.1.12-2, added it, no change. 

[quote=avbohemen]# opkg list-installed|grep p9
luci-app-p910nd - trunk+svn8380-1
p910nd - 0.95-2

I get the same.

avbohemen wrote:

Finally, the p910nd config is as follows:

# cat /etc/config/p910nd

config 'p910nd'
        option 'device' '/dev/lp0'
        option 'port' '0'
        option 'bidirectional' '1'
        option 'enabled' '1'

Same here as well.

I also tried creating a usblp0 with mknod in the /dev directory, that didn't help either. This is what I have in there right now, with the printer plugged in.

root@OpenWrt:/dev# ls
1-1        lp0        mtd3       mtdblock0  null       sdb        urandom
1-1.1      mem        mtd3ro     mtdblock1  port       sdb1       usb1
1-1.2      mtd0       mtd4       mtdblock2  ppp        sg0        usb2
1-1.4      mtd0ro     mtd4ro     mtdblock3  ptmx       sg1        usblp0
console    mtd1       mtd5       mtdblock4  pts        shm        watchdog
full       mtd1ro     mtd5ro     mtdblock5  random     tty        zero
kmsg       mtd2       mtd6       mtdblock6  sda        ttyS0
log        mtd2ro     mtd6ro     net        sda1       tun

In case it helps, here is a list from lsmod with the usb related entries:

root@OpenWrt:/dev# lsmod | grep usb | sort
leds_wndr3700_usb        672  0
ledtrig_usbdev          2032  0
nls_base                4560  7 hfsplus,nls_utf8,nls_iso8859_15,nls_iso8859_1,nls_cp850,nls_cp437,usbcore
scsi_mod               69664  4 sg,ums_cypress,usb_storage,sd_mod
ums_usbat               7360  0
usb_common               480  1 usbcore
usb_storage            33024 12 ums_usbat,ums_sddr55,ums_sddr09,ums_karma,ums_jumpshot,ums_isd200,ums_freecom,ums_datafab,ums_cypress,ums_alauda
usbcore                98368 17 ums_usbat,ums_sddr55,ums_sddr09,ums_karma,ums_jumpshot,ums_isd200,ums_freecom,ums_datafab,ums_cypress,ums_alauda,usblp,ledtrig_usbdev,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
usblp                   8224  0

Anyone else have any suggestions on where to hunt for whatever bug I'm getting? All my results from Google and forum searching are for older versions of OpenWRT from several years ago, nothing that seems relevant for this version.

(Last edited by SaskiFX on 5 Apr 2012, 22:44)

Would it be possible to change the default /etc/hosts file to have the IPv6 localhost address?

::1       localhost

Some distributions add extra more unambiguous host entries (aliases) such as "localhost6" for ipV6 and localhost4 for v4, etc.

This is a sane default, with zero cost or risk.

Please consider this feature proposal as it would improve IPv6 support.

Also we might review the following OpenWRT wiki to see what other V6 things we are comfortable  making default.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ipv6.dns

nameserver ::1

Thanks

This build has IPv6 support, but I don't think making it the default is the right choice for everyone.

kop48 wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Jonathan

With the Wiki pages Configure a guest WLAN and USB Storage I got it configured and working just using LuCI.

So, it's possible.

arokh wrote:

This build has IPv6 support, but I don't think making it the default is the right choice for everyone.

I totally understand your concern!

Your build has really great IPv6 support, and I just want to help add some extra polish.

Enabling basic IPv6 support is not a wrong choice for anyone!

There are some things we can improve with zero cost or risk of disrupting IPv4.

For example, enabling V6 hostname resolution has zero cost or risk involved.
The same goes for having a V6 loop-back address (::1) in the hosts file, which to be honest should have been already.

Enabling Router Advertising via RADVD (by default) would go too far.
You have RADVD in the build, but not enabled, stuff like that should stay the same.

I hope you see the distinction?

Just trying to be helpful, and minimally invasive.

Thanks for your attention on this matter! :-)

Hi guys,

First of all, Thanks for this amazing build! Been using it for about a year now and I love it!

But! (there's always a but smile ) It appears I've encountered a problem recently, and I'm wondering if it's just me or maybe my isp, faulty modem, whatever.

Some files won't download completely, and they always stop at exactly the same point. Some examples:

wget http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/11.0/mac/en-US/Firefox%2011.0.dmg
--2012-04-06 20:53:31--  http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/11.0/mac/en-US/Firefox%2011.0.dmg
Resolving releases.mozilla.org... 156.56.247.196, 204.246.0.136, 64.50.236.214, ...
Connecting to releases.mozilla.org|156.56.247.196|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 33590984 (32M) [application/x-apple-diskimage]
Saving to: `Firefox 11.0.dmg'

89% [=============================================================================================================================>                ] 29,903,788  --.-K/s  eta 3s      ^C

Download starts at full speed, and then suddenly stops. At exact the same location, every time. I can keep wget running for hours, it won't get any further.

Another one:

wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/binutils-2.22.tar.bz2
--2012-04-06 20:55:55--  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/binutils-2.22.tar.bz2
Resolving ftp.gnu.org... 208.118.235.20, 2001:4830:134:3::b
Connecting to ftp.gnu.org|208.118.235.20|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 19973532 (19M) [application/x-bzip2]
Saving to: `binutils-2.22.tar.bz2'

84% [=======================================================================================================================>                      ] 16,970,236  --.-K/s  eta 3s      ^C

Same problem.

Downloading the files with an ftp program/my browser doesn't work either.

I'm currently on the latest build: r31206. With a clean upgrade (didn't keep my config files).

I must say I'm stumped. Could anyone verify if these links work for them, or give me an idea as to what could be wrong?

Thanks!

2 aal

that's your individual problem. I have tried to download those files directly by router and by my laptop via wifi.
all completed. wink

Any chance you could get a packet trace?

Thanks for verifying guys!

@kop48 I've made a trace with wireshark on my pc while trying to download the binutils file, but I must admit I have no idea what it all means, looks like it just stops receiving packets after a while. If you'd like you can d/l the dump here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/377337/StalledDownload.pcap

Or should I've run tcpdump on the router itself?

But maybe I shouldn't pollute this topic any further, as we've already established it's not an OpenWrt problem.

Thanks again for the help!

@masta

Polish is welcome, but I don't see why dns queries to localhost should be done through IPv6. You'll have to clarify why it's a good idea smile Added ::1 to hosts.

@ferob

Ok thx, fixed in latest build.

Also switched back to 3.3 kernel, someone posted a fix.