OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Unable to compile luci-trunk+svn8381 in latest openwrt trunk

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello,

This is my first post so let me first congrat with all of you for the wonderful work you're doing with openwrt. I've been using a customized backfire-10.03.01 image on a Pirelli DRG A226M (8Mb flash) as a starting point for learning and now I feel eager to experiment more with the latest trunk smile

Last weekend, following the wiki instructions, I've downloaded through svn the latest trunk and started building a first basic image (thanks god we have quad-cores nowadays smile ). It all went well and I was able to flash a minimalistic (no gui interface) image to my router. After doing that, I've reconfigured said image to include luci package but I got this error that wasn't able to resolve:

A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/ushare.po
A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/voice_diag.po
A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/statistics.po
A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/splash.po
A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/uvc_streamer.po
A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/multiwan.po
A    luci-trunk+svn8380/po/vi/wol.po
Exported revision 8380.
Packing checkout...
mv: cannot move `/home/pierigno/dev/hacking/FWF226M/trunk/tmp/dl/luci-trunk+svn8380.tar.gz' to `downloads/': Not a directory
make[2]: *** [downloads/luci-trunk+svn8380.tar.gz] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pierigno/dev/hacking/FWF226M/trunk/feeds/luci/luci'
make[1]: *** [package/feeds/luci/luci/install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pierigno/dev/hacking/FWF226M/trunk'
make: *** [package/luci/install] Errore 2

Would you please shed a light on this an point me to the right direction? I've tried to upgrade the luci's feed as suggested in the wiki with the following commands

$> cd ~/dev/hacking/FW226M/trunk
$> ./scripts/feeds update
$> ./scripts/feeds install -a -p luci
$> make package/luci/

But the result is always the same except for the svn revision that gets updated (for now) to 8381. To me it seems that it's related to the Makefile but where to look? I'm not too much acquainted with the syntax of makefile nor have understood completely in which order makefiles get executed.

Thanks

why move is used? maybe you should bulild use the same user

I'm using always the same user 'pierigno'.  May it be an error in the makefiles provided by luci? It seems they use a mixture of absolute and relative paths and so I get this error. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to identify where this move occour looking at the makefiles.

Normal would be to edit feeds.conf.default in buildroot root (https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/f … nf.default) to have Luci enabled (like it is by default). And then just update and install the feeds without extra parameters. After installing new feeds, it is good to run also 'make defconfig'.

./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make defconfig
make

Make builds also Luci modules into the firmware, which you can then flash. Additionally, it builds the modules also to the packages subdirectory in the final binary directory, from where it is possible for you to copy the moduyles separately and install through opkg.

It might also be that your build system has some leftovers from older build attempts, so you might run 'make clean' first.

(Last edited by hnyman on 29 Mar 2012, 10:46)

thanks hnyman, I've followed your advice and issued a make defconfig after a make clean. Effectively I decommented the luci repository in feeds.conf and not feeds.conf.default. I've reverted my changes now, commenting everything in feeds.conf and leaving uncommented in feeds.conf.default only packages, xwrt and luci. Let see which packages brings down for compilation now.

Just one question: as I said early, I've successfully built the  toolchain and the sdk with my first attempt to build an openwrt image based on trunk. If I wanted to update my local version with the latest changes what command would I issue without having to recompile those two again?

This is what svn tells me:

pierigno@n53-sabayon ~/dev/hacking/FWF226M/trunk $ svn status
svn: warning: W155007: '/home/pierigno/dev/hacking/FWF226M/trunk' is not a working copy

and

pierigno@n53-sabayon ~/dev/hacking/FWF226M/trunk $ svn up
Skipped '.'
Summary of conflicts:
  Skipped paths: 1

I've followed the wiki instructions [url]http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence[url]and http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build, specifically

$> cd ~/dev/hacking/FW226M/
$> svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/

This, as I've undestand from svn documentation, should create a directory 'trunk' which would become my local working copy and in which I would be able to 'svn up' and issue all svn nice commands. However this is not the case. Am I suppose to run an additional command? which is it?

(Last edited by pierigno on 29 Mar 2012, 12:29)

svn commands look ok to me, but there is definitely something wrong.
You might need to re-download everything to a new directory and start from scratch.

Roger. Are there any hope to save at least the build_dir directory with the toolchain inside or I need to rebuild it also?It was a huge compilation even for my quad-core!

pierigno wrote:

Roger. Are there any hope to save at least the build_dir directory with the toolchain inside or I need to rebuild it also?It was a huge compilation even for my quad-core!

You will need to rebuild it so that you get all the paths right. It is better to build everything from scratch regularly. I usually rebuild toolchain at least once per month.

Building it all in a Virtualbox virtual machine running in my quad-core i5-660 Win7x64 PC takes about 50-60 minutes, I guess.

ok, I've wiped out everything and started from scratch, this time using git (I'm more acquainted with it). I see there is a second git repository for packages. Is it just for those who want to build packages only or do I actually need to use it?

Nevermind, everything compiled like a charm and did not need the package repository. Starting to get my fingers dirty again... smile

The discussion might have continued from here.