OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dockstar with serial/usb cable to xp ? is it possible?

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm connected to my  Dockstar with serail/usb cable using minicom on my Ubuntu.

Is it possible to use the same cable to receive the output in windows xp ?

sure, if you have the driver.

MBS wrote:

sure, if you have the driver.

Meaning, the driver exists or I have to make it up ?

meaning your usb-serial adapter should get shipped with the driver. anyway, I remember xp to be pretty bitchy, when you connect the adapter to a different usb port than you did during installation of the driver.

MBS wrote:

meaning your usb-serial adapter should get shipped with the driver. anyway, I remember xp to be pretty bitchy, when you connect the adapter to a different usb port than you did during installation of the driver.

I did the cable myself,it works alright on ubuntu to dockstar using minicom

Just wondered if I could use it on XP.
The Hyperterminal wants COM1 , no usb !?

windows will create a virtual COMx. with my prolific cable, it created COM5 to COM8, depending which usb port I connected it to.

MBS wrote:

windows will create a virtual COMx. with my prolific cable, it created COM5 to COM8, depending which usb port I connected it to.

still the question is where may I find a driver ?

on the website of the supplier or manufacturer of your usb-serial converter.

(Last edited by MBS on 4 Mar 2012, 17:46)

A few years ago, someone gave me a Nokia DKU-5 USB/Serial console cable (with a built-in PL-2303 chipset) and it used to work with my AMD64 Linux dekstop computer when running with an old OpenSuSE v11.1 Linux distro through minicom. Since I upgraded to OpenSuSE 11.2 Linux distro, that cable started to give me garbage characters when I tried to use it. However, it is still working fine on a friend's old WinXP. I wonder if anyone out here knows how to make it working again on a Linux machine.

MBS wrote:
fyi wrote:

Find the "PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx" from the Windows device manager.

PL-2303 Software and Drivers

dude, didn't you mean http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pl2303+driver+windows+xp ?

Dude, if I would have known what pl2303 means, I would have done the search.

Many thanks to "fyi" I did install the driver on my XP and can use now Hyperterminal and Teraterm.
I did not find minicom for XP but still it's alright for me.

The discussion might have continued from here.