OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-MR3020 Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Jun 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

BogoMIPS are CPU efficiency, not frequency. Actually it looks ok for 400MHz CPU.

popej wrote:

BogoMIPS are CPU efficiency, not frequency. Actually it looks ok for 400MHz CPU.

Ok, than I misunderstood it. Was just a bit afraid about my router. ;-)

Thank you for response.

Best regards,
Robert

Hello everybody,

I own a TL-MR3020, now running an Attitude Adjustment image from downloads.openwrt.org.
Banner shows:

ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (bleeding edge, r30728) ----------

uname shows:

root@OpenWrt:/# uname --all
Linux OpenWrt 3.2.5 #1 Sun Feb 26 08:04:05 MST 2012 mips GNU/Linux

I'm now trying to connect a USB-to-serial converter.
I have both PL2303-based and FT232-based converters, so I installed the packages: kmod-usb-serial, kmod-usb-serial-pl2303, kmod-usb-serial-ftdi.
Other packages that are also installed: coreutils-stty, picocom.

When the converter was plugged-in, it showed correctly in dmesg, and I was able to connect to it using picocom.
I tied TX and RX lines together to get echo as I type.
The USB LED blinks everytime I send a character.
Everything worked fine, until I turned on the wireless.

When the wireless is turned on, the picocom randomly hangs after some few seconds.
I don't get echo anymore and also the USB LED doesn't blink.
When I try to exit the picocom (C-a, C-x), the system hangs until I unplug the converter.
Both converter (PL2303 and FT232) show this same behavior.

Anybody here also encountered this issue?
Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards,

Tuwuh S

Hi,

On my MR3020, I try to manage the position of my sliding switch  (3 positions managed by BTN_0 and BTN_1 values)

However, the script /etc/hotplug.d/button/00-button can only manage one button at a time. I would need to know both values (bt0 and bt1) to take the correct action.
I can't use "echo xxx > /sys/class/gpio/export", it said that the pin is busy.

Any hints to manage the 3G/WISP/AP switch ?

Thanks

Hi guys,
I am a big fan of your work and the MR3020. Currently I am trying to use it as a cheap&tiny squeezebox client with squeezeslave and a usb-audio-card.
Till now I managed to get the audio card installed (madplay can play mp3 files), but I am struggeling with the installation of squeezeslave. There is are two builds of this tool: "OpenWrt ar71xx OSS Package - Built for Backfire" and "OpenWrt ar71xx ALSA Package - Built for Backfire". In both cases I get an error "bus error" when trying to run squeezeslave.
Can somebody give me a hint why it is not working?
Cheers,
bonagel

st3n wrote:

Hi,

On my MR3020, I try to manage the position of my sliding switch  (3 positions managed by BTN_0 and BTN_1 values)

However, the script /etc/hotplug.d/button/00-button can only manage one button at a time. I would need to know both values (bt0 and bt1) to take the correct action.

Thanks

any news on this?

@st3n: What about writing a custom hotplug.d script for the buttons? I haven't tried but I think it should work.

Update on my case:
Upgraded to newest image (r30857, 10-03-2012), still the same issue.
USB-to-serial hangs after some times if the wireless is turned on.

An interference (hardware) issue, perhaps?

Tuwuh S

@tuwuhs:
so do i, usb modem did not work properly to dial & not connect to internet after wireless turn on with wireless security enabled.

More update:
Tried using TL-MR3420, trunk r30857, running loopback test with PL2303-based USB-to-serial converter for more than an hour without any problems.
I now suspect the problem in TL-MR3020 is caused by either RF interference or inadequate USB supply.

@cindy.wijaya: Have you tried using a powered hub to connect the modem?

@tuwuhs: yes but it doesn't fix yet neutral

without wifi modem work well, some times with wifi with no security it also work but if i change security (wpa) modem won't connect any more.

wurststulle wrote:
st3n wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

any news on this?

btn_0 btn_1 pressed or released even.

have u try this?

/etc/config/system

config 'button'
    option 'button' 'BTN_0'
    option 'action' 'released'
    option 'handler' '/usr/bin/myaction1'
    option 'min' '0'
    option 'max' '3'

config 'button'
    option 'button' 'BTN_1'
    option 'action' 'pressed'
    option 'handler' '/usr/bin/myaction2'
    option 'min' '0'
    option 'max' '3'

(Last edited by cindy.wijaya on 11 Mar 2012, 22:10)

Update:
Tried connecting PL2303-based USB-to-serial through a powered hub, no luck, same result.
It seems that it's not an inadequate supply problem.

@cindy.wijaya:
In my case, it fails even with encryption turned off.

http://www.bitartist.org/2012/02/my-exp … -link.html
This guy also reports dropped USB connection when using a camera (webcam I suppose) on TL-WR703N (the hardware looks very similar to TL-MR3020).

Hardware problem it seems?

Hello, i'm new here and i want to tell everybody just keep up the good work !
I'm in for buying a mini router (for a wifi repeater) like mr3020 or wr703n and i wanna ask what is the diffrence between them ? only the slide for mode switch ? i was looking in the compatibility list under tp-link for mr3020 but i cannot find it, tplink wr703n seems to be in the list. Which one is better? in my market mr3020 it's easier to find.
Thank you in advance !

(Last edited by n3o on 17 Mar 2012, 11:17)

cindy.wijaya wrote:
wurststulle wrote:
st3n wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

any news on this?

btn_0 btn_1 pressed or released even.

have u try this?

/etc/config/system

config 'button'
    option 'button' 'BTN_0'
    option 'action' 'released'
    option 'handler' '/usr/bin/myaction1'
    option 'min' '0'
    option 'max' '3'

config 'button'
    option 'button' 'BTN_1'
    option 'action' 'pressed'
    option 'handler' '/usr/bin/myaction2'
    option 'min' '0'
    option 'max' '3'

isnt working sad

Hello everybody!

I have just flashed my TL-MR3020 with the newest firmware, everything worked perfectly and I could change my password via telnet and later login via SSH and enable WLAN.

What I then wanted to achieve was to have the LAN-Port use DHCP to get a local IP and WiFi to be forwarded into the local LAN.

Unfortunately I seem to have created a mistake in the network-config, so that I now cannot connect to SSH anymore.

The box fetches an internal LAN-IP and I can also connect via WLAN to the box, but I cannot access SSH any more :-(

How can I revert back to the factory defaults?

Regarding the serial-cable: I have found the steps to build one myself, but currently I don't have the time to build one so the question is: Can I buy a working cable somewhere?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Best regards,

Chris

Seems that your box is still working.
Have you tried failsafe mode?
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe
To revert back to original configuration (i.e. erasing rootfs data), use
# mtd -r erase rootfs_data

Thanks A LOT!

That worked perfectly :-)
I already tried pressing the button during reboot, but I didn't know that it had to be pressed and released quickly... You never stop learning ;-)

Now it is working perfectly, I will now try to install an FTP-Server to be able to copy data onto an attached USB-Stick...

Best regards,

Chris

You're welcome.
Go ahead and tell us how it goes. wink

Is there a way to restore to stock firmware without using usb serial cable?
Maybe from failsafe mode?

Hi,
I know this is far away from what it should be done but as a temporary workaround for the buttons I think it would be possible to use something like this in a file next to 00-button in /etc/hotplug.d/button

#!/bin/sh

if [ $BUTTON == "BTN_0" ]; then
if [ $ACTION == "pressed" ]; then

(
for i in `seq 1 2500`; do true; done
if [ -f /tmp/var2 ]; then
#### INSERT YOUR CODE FOR LEFT POSITION HERE
logger Left
####
else
#### INSERT YOUR CODE FOR RIGHT POSITION HERE
logger Right
####
fi
) &
else
#### INSERT YOUR CODE FOR MIDDLE POSITION HERE
logger Middle
#### CODE END
if [ -f /tmp/var2 ]; then
rm /tmp/var2
fi
fi
else
if [ $ACTION == "released" ]; then
touch /tmp/var2
fi
fi

I dont think this would behave well under heavy load, but maybe for changing between mpd and some other app (although not switching back and forth very fast) it works. It relies on delaying by counting so basically it is highly unreliable, but I dont know other way of producing a delay.
As I said earlier, it could be something to use until someone find a way of handling the slide switch.

Will something like:

mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware

revert to stock firmware?

@sophitus, look at this:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=155151
I dont understand why it says you have to reflash using webGUI of stock firmware after using mtd -r write. It doesnt make any sense, does it?
Also, /tmp is RAM so check you have enough available free memory with the free command before uploading the image.

maybe you just have to do a factory default reset once you flashed the stock firmware with mtd -r..

Hi there, I just found the MR3020 cheap on the net on my search for a piece of hardware that I can use to get a VPN-server at home for use with netbook and mobile phone.

Can somebody tell me if it can work as a VPN-server with DD-WRT and if it will work behind another router? Sadly my Linksys WRT54G (v5) and AVM Fritzbox 7170
lack the support... and running the PC 24/7... nah. smile

Would be nice to hear a word about VPN. Thanks!

Hello

i'm futur buyer of mr3020 and want to know if this possible to do that with openwrt and this hardware :

Use only ethernet access (not wifi).

light upnp server
nfs / ftp server with external hdd
print server .. :-/
caldav server with httpd and  posgresql

not in the same time but on the same system or one application by hardware

does the 32Mb of memory and the 400Mhz can support these applications ?

Thanks

(Last edited by new1 on 30 Mar 2012, 08:44)

Hello Everbody,

I'm an openwrt newbie, and I have a few generic questions. Thank you in advance if you can answer any of them.

Fist of all, I installed openwrt without problem. Logged over telnet and changed password. Left the device for a few days and forgot the password. I was able to recover by entering failsafe mode by powering the MR3020 with the WPS button pressed until it began blinking fast. This was VERY convenient. Thankyou whoever thought of this!!.

I then tried to install some packages to install a 3G modem with opkg following the wiki. Most of them installed OK, but 2 gave errors, as the version of the kernel I have installed and the version downloaded by opkg where not compatible. I gess I have to upgrade the kernel somehow.

What I've done is build the complete Buildroot and images for the MR3020 following the wiki and selecting the MR3020 as the build target and some packages that I wanted either as modules or "inline". I seem to have an image which presumably I can flash. Before I do this, i'd like to know:

- When I select the MR3020 target in the menuconfig, are model specific things, such as hardware (say ethernet card driver, usb controller,...) or for example the custom failsafe mode script which responds to the WPS button automatically installed in the image?

- If not, iIs there somewhere where I can download the whole configuration, feeds, scripts,... used to build the binary distribution that is linked from the wiki page of the MR3020? I'd like to use it as a base to customize it for my needs.

- Am I doing it the right way, or is it preferable to download a newer image and just customize and compile the packages with opkg?

Thank you,
Marcos