OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DWL-2100AP Ver.A2 MAC Adress Changing

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

My first post here, and yes I am a total noob with this, I have joined the site because I am in need of some help, I purchased 2 DWL-2100AP Ver.A2 off eBay a little while ago, these units were said to be factory refurbished and I have just found a big problem with them, they have identical MAC Addresses in them and not the ones indicated on the bottoms of the units, because of this I cannot use them together on my network as the router sees them both as being the same and blocks everything.

I found this forum while searching for a way to change their MAC Addresses back to the ones indicated on the bottom of their cases, I know this forum mainly deals with hacking the DWL-2100AP but all I am really seeking is some help to change the MAC on these 2 devices, I have constructed myself a Wiggler JTAG as I read it can be used on them and I have found where to solder it all in, but I need help with the dumping and flashing of the Bootloader on these devices.

I am assuming the plan would be is to dump the Bootloader from the ATMEL AT49BV322A Flash Chips and edit the MAC's in a Hex Editor program then reflash the Bootloader into the devices with their new MAC's, I know this sounds simple and it probably is but I have never attempted this before and would not know where to start on the Software needed and procedure side of things to do this so if anyone has some advice I would very much appreciate it, thank you for reading and have a great day.

Kind regards,

Kevin

If you have a factory firmware you don't need jtag to change the mac address there is a hack method...

vpritiskovic wrote:

If you have a factory firmware you don't need jtag to change the mac address there is a hack method...

Hi vpritiskovic, thanks for the reply, Both my DWL-2100AP's have the latest factory firmware's installed from the D-Link website, if possible could you please elaborate on the hack method to change the MAC Address if you happen to know it that is? thank you.

(Last edited by sojourner353 on 29 Feb 2012, 01:48)

Hi,

I don't know if this hack work wit latest fw but you can try...
If not you need:
http://xoomer.alice.it/ramponis/firmwar … u-r338.zip
1. reset the ap
2. telnet into it
3.type alpha (enter) with passwd (one should work)
sdd21234
vec21234
dlk19283

4. set mac ALL ##:##:##:##:##:##

that is all...

vpritiskovic wrote:

Hi,

I don't know if this hack work wit latest fw but you can try...
If not you need:
1. reset the ap
2. telnet into it
3.type alpha (enter) with passwd (one should work)
sdd21234
vec21234
dlk19283

4. set mac ALL ##:##:##:##:##:##

that is all...

Hi vpritiskovic,

Just tried them logins and all failed on both my AP's, its a shame because I am running the latest firmware in them 2.51eu and I did read another way to change it on another forum but again I need that firmware installed you mentioned to be able to do it.

Do you or anyone alse know if there is a way to downgrade the firmware on these devices? One of the AP's had a corrupt firmware about a month ago and I restored it using 10.0.0.1 which took me to a recovery page but I am not able to get to this anymore because the firmware is working fine, I know other D-Link devices have a way to get to these recovery pages and you can downgrade the firmware but I have not found a way to do this yet on my AP's.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards,

Kevin Densham

You don't need recovery page, try to downgrade from the managemet page!

Currently trying to play with CICLaMaB to downgrade the firmware using telnet but I am getting errors, debug below

WARNING!
It is recommended to deactivate firewalls and antiviruses,
and to disconnect the ADSL line cable.

To start the session:
- Push "Connection".
   This method may be not works on some versions of the
   bootloader and/or models with embedded switch!

Connection to telnet in progress...
Send login...Done!
Send password...Done!
Authentication failed!
Connection failed!

Not sure why I am getting errors because I can telnet into the AP using Putty fine? I do notice in CICLaMaB the DWL-2100AP is not listed in the Models so I am not sure if I can use it but have seen on other forums the AP can connect with CICLaMaB.

vpritiskovic wrote:

You don't need recovery page, try to downgrade from the managemet page!

Had been trying through the management pace for days and it kept on failing but just using the firmware you pointed to it worked like a charm have downgraded 1 but sorry to say I still cannot log in with any of them accounts you mentioned, am going to try the other AP now to see if its any different, will post back the results when done, cheers.

The other AP is not letting me downgrade it at all, am just getting errors when it says its complete, but it doesn't really bother me because as long as I can change 1 AP's MAC Address there will be no more conflicts on the network when using both, so I will continue working with the one that has 2.10eu firmware now on it, have found the information bellow from a russian website to do with unbricking these AP's it describes another method using telnet but its not working either for me, so....

Restoring the correct mac-address.

If you were forced to reset the whole flash and a 2100AP Sieti succeeded in your intent,
The final thing to do to reset the AP and the correct mac-address.

To do this you must install on your 2100AP firmware v210eu-r0338

After you install this firmware you can connect to the 2100AP telnet, login, and alpha
Then you can issue the following command:

September ALL mac [mac-adress]

Take then a reboot and so you're completely restored your AP.

At this point you are free to charge us the firmware version you prefer.

Success, have just changed the MAC, I used a different PC to telnet into it and it worked no problem, will just leave the other one that I cannot downgrade because they both now have different MAC's so they should work in harmony (fingers crossed), thank you very much for the help its very much appreciated.

sojourner353 wrote:

... have found the information bellow from a russian website to do with unbricking these AP's it describes another method using telnet but its not working either for me, so....

That is the same method

The discussion might have continued from here.