OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build root AND include 3rd party packages????

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm in desperate need of instructions on how I can get a couple of custom packages installed on the image I am building. I figured out that I can do this with Image Generator but it apparently won't let me set other options that I can easily edit with Buildroot, like the initial IP address of the router. Yes, I know I can include config files but there are other issues as well; that said, if there is a way to edit the default build for Image Generator then I'm interested in hearing about that as well. Anyway, I'm figuring that it will be lots easier to do what I need from Buildroot since there's likely a point in the image build that I can insert my packages; I just can't seem to find that point at the moment.

I'd like to say that if the only way is a list of some archaic commands done on command line...count me in.. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty..:)

(Last edited by ehrichweiss on 27 Feb 2012, 17:09)

No there is indeed no point in adding custom binary packages as part of the normal buildroot compilation procedure, at least not without hackery.
Including config files is indeed the preferred way nowadays. The preset options in menuconfig are scheduled for removal anyway.

jow wrote:

No there is indeed no point in adding custom binary packages as part of the normal buildroot compilation procedure, at least not without hackery.
Including config files is indeed the preferred way nowadays. The preset options in menuconfig are scheduled for removal anyway.

Ok, let me present a couple of scenarios for you because right now I think I've found a bug...

If I include config files under ImageGenerator, it will damn near brick my machine. There is nothing special about the files as I have copied them directly from a compiled system, and I know it's them because that's the only change to the build. Once I install an image generated like this, the device never recovers from the reboot and I'm forced to use the recovery mode to netcat a clean image onto the system.

If I include config files under Buildroot, instead of the system logging in under /root, it puts me under / which is a bit unsettling. It has done this in the above situation as well but not recently.

It should be noted that in both situations the config files are /etc/config/network and /etc/resolv.conf so they have nothing to do with the path.

If I build with the menuconfig options that you say are going away, and I don't include the files, the system performs as expected.

(Last edited by ehrichweiss on 28 Feb 2012, 00:04)

I can't reproduce either of your problems. Its also unclear to me how including a network config would brick your device, unless its indeed plain wrong.

well I can reproduce them time and time again, I even did so with a fresh install from SVN last night(I'm using trunk, FYI, ar71xx and TPWR703N). There's nothing wrong with the network config file because, as I said, I copied it directly from a working system and the only thing I changed from the default file was a '1' into a '2'. If I leave the image as default and install it and then copy the file over, it works as expected. I'm using Linux on both sides of this equation so it's not like it's linefeeds or the like. Running a diff on the files shows no differences. Where else could the problem be?

(btw, I hate to drag this to troubleshooting since I wanted something else obviously but this may help others as well so I figure why not)

(Last edited by ehrichweiss on 28 Feb 2012, 17:40)

The discussion might have continued from here.