OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: router unresponsive after reboot

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I had flashed openwrt earlier and was trying to set it up via the web interface when I clicked on save and apply changes it just said "waiting on router" for a good while so I unplugged the router and plugged it back in, now its completely unresponsive.  I belive I was able to get it to boot into failsafe mode but I dont think I am setting up the ip for my laptop correctly.  Im using Ubuntu and I set up my /etc/network/interfaces to look like this :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0

What am I doing wrong?  Also, once I ssh in what should I do to restore the router?

if u can telnet in safemode do this
mtd -r erase rootfs_data
and reboot this will erase user configuration

after that install luci and config router from web interface... its easier

I am still working on figuring out how to set up my ip correctly to get into the router, I was using the web interface before but I was in a bit over my head as I couldnt, no matter what I tried, get internet access.  I was going around in circles trying anything, I guess I clicked something wrong.

I updated my /etc/network/interfaces to look like this :
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1h

And now I get the message "device not managed"
I assume I need to connect to the router before I can ssh it right?
I know that the router has booted into failsafe mode because the sys light strobes and when I plug in the cable in slot one the light on the front lights up.
I tried to ssh the ip anyway and got :
:~$ ssh 192.168.1.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: No route to host

I was able to get into the router again and reset it but I had to use windows as ubuntu was just going to be difficult, my problem now is that i still cant get internet access and in poking around I screwed up something else too.  Now I can see the router pop up on my list but I cant connect to it, I guess I am going to have to do the failsafe mode again and possibly revert back to the original firmware.  Is it weird for it to not allow internet access after install, I know it has a connection, it displays info about it and has activity but wont let it come though.

I have the same problem. It's kind of weird. Everyone can make error, and i make something wrong on the Luci interface, an unknown error who was not trapped by the firmware and my router was totally out !

So i power cycle it, and i make this 192.168.1.2 kind of solution, now my router can be ping (when i ping 192.168.1.1 the router return something good, and everything is ok about that) but reaching the router is not possible in any ways, not by html, not by ftp, and nothing in putty (ssh).

So, i bought a new router, having to go through telnet, using command line to gave it a password and having it ready to have ssh on it. Using ssh, getting on an sshl console, having to go through some path,  makes command lines  to have Luci on it (the graphical interface of openwrt), after that i was able to access it by a web browser (For god sake, what a long long way to have a router operational !!!) and made something wrong in a configuration given by this same web interface, and now i have a router accessible by pinging it, but unaccessible any other ways !!!

And after this being without any response to help, will i use Openwrt again ? Not sure about that ...

In the wiki there an unbrick solution who is exactly this :

"Triggering via keyboard key combination in a serial console
Unplug the router's power cord.
Connect the router's WAN port directly to your PC.
Configure your PC with a static IP address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254. E. g. 192.168.1.2 (gateway and DNS is not required).
Plugin the power.
Connect via serial
Wait until the following messages is passing: Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
Press "f" and the "enter" key
You should be able to telnet to the router at 192.168.1.1 now (no username and password)"

Everyone knows that computers still have a serial port ! Hey, the last time i had a serial port on a computer was 10 years ago !

The serial port must be configured too, you don't tell how to set it. I mean what will be the speed, data bits, parity, stop bit, flow control.

And i don't have an old cisco router (Not talking about Linksys, real cisco routers, who doesn't used serial ports since 4 years ago).

So how could i expect having a home router with a serial port ? 

And if there is no router with serial port, how can my ten years old computer serial port existing can establish a connection to an RJ45 ?

(Last edited by Andreit on 11 Jul 2012, 22:24)

The discussion might have continued from here.